Adding Birthdays?

Moderators: dwp, devin

Holo

Adding Birthdays?

Post by Holo »

Hi

I can add birthdays on new contacts but I cannot add birthdays to existing contacts because their is no field in the editor to add the birthday. Am I missing something?

I have reset my defaults on my old Contacts program and I have uninstalled and reinstalled DW but I cannot get a Contact edit screen to add a birthday in an existing contact?

Thanks in advance.
Steve
camel

Re: Adding Birthdays?

Post by camel »

Holo wrote:Hi

I can add birthdays on new contacts but I cannot add birthdays to existing contacts because their is no field in the editor to add the birthday. Am I missing something?

I have reset my defaults on my old Contacts program and I have uninstalled and reinstalled DW but I cannot get a Contact edit screen to add a birthday in an existing contact?

Thanks in advance.
Steve
hi steve,
which DWC do you use ? 2.0.4 ?
which account type do you use ? (exchange account, google account, facebook, skype, local, sim card) ?
which device do you have ?
which rom installed ?
which android system ?
which function do you use ? (please describe exactly how you try it in DWC.)

related to your system - maybe it is limited to edit all fields ...
because i know a limitation on some android systems (sgs, if older as android 2.2.1 JM8), then the stock editor can'T editing all fields.
This is not a limitation of DWC, it is a limitation on your android system.
if you try it with stock contact editor class, you can use "Contact Editor", this works better as almost all others builtin.

cu camel
Holo

Post by Holo »

Hi Camel

Thanks for your prompt reply!

which DWC do you use ? 2.0.4 ? - Pro 2.0.4 (purchased today)
which account type do you use ? (exchange account, google account, facebook, skype, local, sim card) ? - google
which device do you have ? - HD2
which rom installed ? - Ulimate Droid 3.2.5
which android system ? - 2.3.3
- Firstly explaining that I have the ability to add a birthday when I create a new contact - In DW I go to the Contacts Tab, I bring up 'new contact' and it brings up a screen to add name, phone address etc and right down the bottom is add birthday.
- Secondly when I go re-edit a contact it brings up the standard Contacts edit screen (different from the 'new contact' creation screen) which doesn't seem to have anywhere to add a birthday.
I have since worked out that I am using the 'Go Contacts Ex' screen when I am creating a new contact and using the 'Contacts' screen when editting a contact.
I've uninstalled Go Contacts Ex and now I get the standard 'Contacts' when I create a new contact (ie: with no field to add a birthday).
Doesn't DWC come with it's own new contacts and edit screens? - am I missing something?

Thanks
Steve
camel

Post by camel »

Holo wrote:Hi Camel

Thanks for your prompt reply!

which DWC do you use ? 2.0.4 ? - Pro 2.0.4 (purchased today)
which account type do you use ? (exchange account, google account, facebook, skype, local, sim card) ? - google
which device do you have ? - HD2
which rom installed ? - Ulimate Droid 3.2.5
which android system ? - 2.3.3
- Firstly explaining that I have the ability to add a birthday when I create a new contact - In DW I go to the Contacts Tab, I bring up 'new contact' and it brings up a screen to add name, phone address etc and right down the bottom is add birthday.
- Secondly when I go re-edit a contact it brings up the standard Contacts edit screen (different from the 'new contact' creation screen) which doesn't seem to have anywhere to add a birthday.
I have since worked out that I am using the 'Go Contacts Ex' screen when I am creating a new contact and using the 'Contacts' screen when editting a contact.
I've uninstalled Go Contacts Ex and now I get the standard 'Contacts' when I create a new contact (ie: with no field to add a birthday).
Doesn't DWC come with it's own new contacts and edit screens? - am I missing something?

Thanks
Steve
hi steve,
DWC - buitin contact editor ? -> No, DWC doesn't have an own "full builtin contact editor" ! DWC use the installed editor classes.
Because, a friend of me, made a very good "Contact Editor" (free) or his version "Contact Editor++" (pro version for ~$ 2,-), which is working on all account types, which are possible to edit. (you'll find it on market or on his homepage: http://dmfs.org/wiki/index.php?title=Co ... itor%2B%2B. THis works on all knowing android systems.
specially - if you like - you can search for "android edit contact" -> you will find out, that the stock API class is very buggy (dates, some fields not supported, crash sync database, crash of whole class, etc..) and these bugs are still remain on latest versions of android. all of them are very buggy and have a lot of bugs inside (specially EAS). his version can handle all. so, why should we "reinvent the wheel" :) ?
We will make in a future version a buitin "Contact Viewer" and also we will suggest to use the "Contact Editor++", because i'm sure, that google won't fix the bugs on contact editor class next few years. so this investment (in my mind) is a MUST-HAVE for every business user.

DWC has an builtin "Event editor" (birthday, aniversary, etc..) -> this is the function: ->
"Edit event for contact" (long tab on a contact), which will also used to add/edit/delete events from a contact
or on tab "Events" -> "Edit event for contact" (long tab on an event)

mostly user installing a contact application, which is trying to be a contact application, and often developers are spending a lot of time to make comic themes for kids, and not taken care of the real issues ...

our politic ->
1.) analyzing, what the user are wanting
2.) implement the customer wishes
3.) easy and fast to use
4.) customizing on personal challenge

hope, this helps :)

cu camel
Holo

Post by Holo »

Hi Camel

Thanks again for your quick reply.

I am now using Contact Editor++ and I am able to add birthdays in new contacts and existing contacts.

I have a new problem where the new contacts that I create connot be seen in the Contacts list view tab. This took me a while to work out what was the problem. My old contacts program was adding any new contact with a system group called 'My Contacts' and it's display options was to only show the 'My Contacts' system group. When I changed this in my old Contacts program (WyContacts Froyo 1.2) by Display Options and selecting my Google account and ticking all the groups (especially 'All Other Contacts) resolved the non display of contacts in DWCP.

This may help someone else?

Thank you for your help
Steve
camel

Post by camel »

Holo wrote:Hi Camel

Thanks again for your quick reply.

I am now using Contact Editor++ and I am able to add birthdays in new contacts and existing contacts.

I have a new problem where the new contacts that I create connot be seen in the Contacts list view tab. This took me a while to work out what was the problem. My old contacts program was adding any new contact with a system group called 'My Contacts' and it's display options was to only show the 'My Contacts' system group. When I changed this in my old Contacts program (WyContacts Froyo 1.2) by Display Options and selecting my Google account and ticking all the groups (especially 'All Other Contacts) resolved the non display of contacts in DWCP.

This may help someone else?

Thank you for your help
Steve
hi steve,

i'm happy, that it is working now for you fine :)

at first - we are talking about "account types". you can create contacts on several account types:
a) sim card (not good supported by android, and very limited, suggestto copy all to local account or to a gmail or EAS account)
b) local db (often called as "My Contacts" or "My Phone" or whatever) -> if you looseyou phone, then the contacts are also lost
c) external db's (gmail, Microsoft Exhange Account (EAS), facebook (read-only), skype(read-only)
the advanted of them is, that ifyouloose your phone, then you can easily sync(dl from server) to the new device

well, your real problem was, that you stored your contacts on different "account types"and in DWC you only selected to show the contacts from only some types. And if you have contacts on a account type, which is not activated, then it won'T shown (exception: if a contact exists on multiple accounts, the android system merge them together, so it is looking like 1 contact, but they are different, too)
in DWC it will shown you the "account type" icon. maybe you saw this ...

well, as you told - users must knowing about, where they have the contacts stored !

tip: it is very helpful to use DWC and look through your single accounts types (only select 1 account type in DWC, then look how much contacts there, and if wanted -> you can use the "duplicate contact" function to copy multiple contacts from 1 account to anther one ..)
and at the end - i suggest, to have all contacts stored in 1 "account type".
:)

enjoy DWC
cu camel
nick

Post by nick »

...We will make in a future version a builtin "Contact Viewer"...
Are there any progress on that, camel?

On my phone, Sony Ericsson Live, android 2.3.4, i do not see the birthday field of my contacts opened with DWC (i sync my contacts from outlook -->> phone) even though i can see all the birthdays as "events".
camel

Post by camel »

nick wrote:
...We will make in a future version a builtin "Contact Viewer"...
Are there any progress on that, camel?

On my phone, Sony Ericsson Live, android 2.3.4, i do not see the birthday field of my contacts opened with DWC (i sync my contacts from outlook -->> phone) even though i can see all the birthdays as "events".
hi
yes, there is a descision - it is not planned to make a contact editor/viewer, because there is a very good app form it -> "Contact Editor Pro", so it is not needed to create the wheel new because it is existing :)
and contact viewer is on every android system/ROM/manufacturer different, because every android manufacturer does using the viewer class specially
cu camel