During install, something became corrupted, how can I fix it

Moderators: dwp, devin

TheDoctor

During install, something became corrupted, how can I fix it

Post by TheDoctor »

I have a Samsung Transform Ultra (rooted), by BoostMobile.

After installing DW Contacts & Phone, something became corrupted on my phone.
The original dialer and call history always crash with the following error:
The process, android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly, it then forces me to close the app.
The original dialer now crashes when I attempt to call any number that I input, even if it is from my original contacts.

Also when I miss an incoming call, I get the same crash and message, with your contact history.
I am unable to use the original dialer at all to call out anymore without the above posted crash.
I have tried uninstalling DW contacts and dialer, and it still crashes even without your app, and after reinstalling your program again, it still crashes everytime.
I tried to reboot, cleaned the cache, I removed the battery, I have tried everything that I could possibly think of to fix my phone, but my original dialer and call history now crashes everytime.
Sometimes while using your app, it causes the same crash, I assume it is because your program is trying to access my phones build in call log or dialer somehow.
At least with your app installed, I am able to dial out, but something is corrupted and I would like to get it solved, please help me get this issue fixed.
Since I am rooted, doing a factory reset could totally brick my phone, which is why I have not tried that option.
I can provide you with any other information that you require to help me fix this issue.

Thanks
camel

Re: During install, something became corrupted, how can I fi

Post by camel »

TheDoctor wrote:I have a Samsung Transform Ultra (rooted), by BoostMobile.

After installing DW Contacts & Phone, something became corrupted on my phone.
The original dialer and call history always crash with the following error:
The process, android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly, it then forces me to close the app.
The original dialer now crashes when I attempt to call any number that I input, even if it is from my original contacts.

Also when I miss an incoming call, I get the same crash and message, with your contact history.
I am unable to use the original dialer at all to call out anymore without the above posted crash.
I have tried uninstalling DW contacts and dialer, and it still crashes even without your app, and after reinstalling your program again, it still crashes everytime.
I tried to reboot, cleaned the cache, I removed the battery, I have tried everything that I could possibly think of to fix my phone, but my original dialer and call history now crashes everytime.
Sometimes while using your app, it causes the same crash, I assume it is because your program is trying to access my phones build in call log or dialer somehow.
At least with your app installed, I am able to dial out, but something is corrupted and I would like to get it solved, please help me get this issue fixed.
Since I am rooted, doing a factory reset could totally brick my phone, which is why I have not tried that option.
I can provide you with any other information that you require to help me fix this issue.

Thanks
hi, well, i never heard about such kind of problems.

so, it can be, that something goes wrong on your phone.
so, at first we must find out, where the problem can be:

1.) can you make a log (via alogcat), and then install it and then try to use it.
2.) maybe you have forbidden app DWC to access to your phone datavase (contacts, logs, sms, etc..)

if you can then provide this information - it would be fine, then i can look into.

also i would like to get infos:
a.) your ROM
b.) your android OS
c.) memory enogh aaible - maybe yourphone is totally full ?
d.) which accounts are you using on your phone? (sim, myphone, EAS, google, etc..)

thanks, it must be something on your ROM or something wrong installed on your system itself.
superuser forbidden ?
(it is not needed to be rooted - but - 1 user reported, that he had a bad CM7 installation, and then after reflash, then it was working again.
and also i heard, that he haven'T allow access to phone database on installation. mostly this is the reson for your problem.

cu camel
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Hello, thank you for reply, here is my phone info:
Android 2.3.4
Gingerbread.EG29
Kernel Version 2.6.35.7
Hardware Version M930.02

Internal Storage 296MB Used - 712 MB Free
SD CARD 1.1GB used - 815 MB Free

The accounts that I use are MyPhone and Google, it could be the MyPhone settings that are corrupted? I have tried to set everything to google only.
Here is text from 2 different logs, that might help with crash.
Attachments
Logs.zip
Here are 2 log files, I can grab more if you would like to view more.
(28.41 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Here is another update: In addition to the log files that I sent to you earlier, I wanted to provide you the exact steps that will cause a crash in your program:

1.- If I click the name of anyone in my contact list, then attempt to call them from there, it crashes every time.
If I click the phone icon next to their name instead, a confirmation prompt appears, and when I click Call, the call will go through normally.

2.- If I go into favorites and click one of my contacts, a balloon pops up where I have 3 choices: Phone Icon, contact icon (middle icon)?, and text message icon.
As soon as the phone icon is clicked it crashes every time.
When I click the contact icon, then try and call from there, it crashes every time.
When I click the text message icon, I am able to send a text message ok.

Those are the constant crashes that I have found so far when using your program, I will keep trying everything. I can provide you new logs from the above if required.
Of course, the original dialer and contact history etc... still crash as I explained in previous emails.

Thank you again, I hope this helps you figure out what went wrong and how to help me fix it.
camel

Post by camel »

TheDoctor wrote:Here is another update: In addition to the log files that I sent to you earlier, I wanted to provide you the exact steps that will cause a crash in your program:

1.- If I click the name of anyone in my contact list, then attempt to call them from there, it crashes every time.
If I click the phone icon next to their name instead, a confirmation prompt appears, and when I click Call, the call will go through normally.

2.- If I go into favorites and click one of my contacts, a balloon pops up where I have 3 choices: Phone Icon, contact icon (middle icon)?, and text message icon.
As soon as the phone icon is clicked it crashes every time.
When I click the contact icon, then try and call from there, it crashes every time.
When I click the text message icon, I am able to send a text message ok.

Those are the constant crashes that I have found so far when using your program, I will keep trying everything. I can provide you new logs from the above if required.
Of course, the original dialer and contact history etc... still crash as I explained in previous emails.

Thank you again, I hope this helps you figure out what went wrong and how to help me fix it.
i have a theory, that you phones doesn'T support the "confirm on dialing".
to verify first:

please try:
1.) backup your settings in DWC (see settings -> Backup & Restore -> Backup settings)
2.) restore default settings in DWC (see settings -> Backup & Restore -> Restore default settings)
then try it again.

next what i can see:
[ 2265.591003] 11-21 03:40:11.834 I/ActivityManager( 147): Starting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.CALL_PRIVILEGED dat=tel:xxx-xxx-xxxx cmp=com.android.phone/.PrivilegedOutgoingCallBroadcaster } from pid 8323
[ 2265.591918] 11-21 03:40:11.834 W/ActivityManager( 147): Permission Denial: starting Intent { act=android.intent.action.CALL_PRIVILEGED dat=tel:xxx-xxx-xxxx cmp=com.android.phone/.PrivilegedOutgoingCallBroadcaster } from ProcessRecord{409190a0 8323:android.process.acore/10008} (pid=8323, uid=10008) requires android.permission.CALL_PRIVILEGED
[ 2265.604980] 11-21 03:40:11.844 E/AndroidRuntime( 8323): FATAL EXCEPTION: main
[ 2265.604980] 11-21 03:40:11.844 E/AndroidRuntime( 8323): java.lang.SecurityException: Permission Denial: starting Intent { act=android.intent.action.CALL_PRIVILEGED dat=tel:xxx-xxx-xxxx cmp=com.android.phone/.PrivilegedOutgoingCallBroadcaster } from ProcessRecord{409190a0 8323:android.process.acore/10008} (pid=8323, uid=10008) requires android.permission.CALL_PRIVILEGED

it seems to be, that DWC can't access (do not having permissions to access the call privileges)
you must activate this - maybe you have blocked this by a 3rd party app ?

cu camel
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Thank you for trying to help me locate the problem, I uninstalled all 3rd party apps that could have blocked permissions, however the problem persisted. I decided that I could no longer run my phone this way, so I took a chance and did a factory reset, the phone now works perfectly again, and I am very happy.

One of your users was talking about lowering your price a little, and I just wanted to give you my opinion. 1st off, I love the app, I think that you have done a great job programming it. I use it every time I use my phone, I almost did not purchase it because of the price, but I have no regrets. If you decide to lower the price, I can tell you that several family members and friends would purchase the app from you, they just can not justify the current cost. Perhaps you could have 3 versions: Free, Home Pro, and Business Pro. I use mine mainly for personal use, so business related features do not matter to me.
Anyway, thank you for making a great program for my phone, I do have a couple of feature requests, I will see if you have a place on your forum for requests.
camel

Post by camel »

TheDoctor wrote:Thank you for trying to help me locate the problem, I uninstalled all 3rd party apps that could have blocked permissions, however the problem persisted. I decided that I could no longer run my phone this way, so I took a chance and did a factory reset, the phone now works perfectly again, and I am very happy.

One of your users was talking about lowering your price a little, and I just wanted to give you my opinion. 1st off, I love the app, I think that you have done a great job programming it. I use it every time I use my phone, I almost did not purchase it because of the price, but I have no regrets. If you decide to lower the price, I can tell you that several family members and friends would purchase the app from you, they just can not justify the current cost. Perhaps you could have 3 versions: Free, Home Pro, and Business Pro. I use mine mainly for personal use, so business related features do not matter to me.
Anyway, thank you for making a great program for my phone, I do have a couple of feature requests, I will see if you have a place on your forum for requests.
well, price discussion is another thread ...
feature requests -> there is a own "feature request" subdir for it.
thanks for your feedback
cu camel