sub-groups / merge groups?

Moderators: dwp, devin

nick

sub-groups / merge groups?

Post by nick »

sub-groups:
Where can i read anything more about the sub-groups? How can i create them? Or how should they be named to achieve a system of sub-groups?
I've noticed that when i creat a group using a point "." the part of the group name after the point becomes a sub-group, i.e.: a group with the name "x.y" is shown in "DW contacts" as a main group "x" with a sub-group "y".
Are there any other signs for creating sub-groups or is it only the point "."?

merge groups (with similar names):
What is this setting exactly for? Could you give an example?
Last edited by nick on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
camel

Re: sub-groups / merge groups?

Post by camel »

nick wrote:sub-groups:
Where can i read anything more about the sub-groups? How can i create them? Or how should they be named to achieve a system of syb-groups?
I've noticed that when i creat a group using a point "." the part of the group name after the point becomes a sup-group, i.e.: a group with the name "x.y" is shown in "DW contacts" as a main group "x" with a sub-group "y".
Are there any other signs for creating sub-groups or is it only the point "."?

merge groups (with similar names):
What is this setting exactly for? Could you give an example?
hi
quite simple:
as told:
if you want to create groups with sub-folders, then simply use the point like:
creategroup as: 123.456.789
then you are having: (all of them will be created if not existing
-> 123
--> 456
-----> 789

then you can use them to add also to sub-group contactsor whatever.

if you have now in group:
123 -> contact "A", "B", "C"
456 -> contact "D", "E", "F"
789 -> contact "G", "H", "I"

then you can use this groups as wanted ...
example: if you want to send to all of the 123 - it will use all contacts recursiv for SMS, email, ringtone or whatever ...

cu camel
nick

Post by nick »

thanks a lot!

I do not see any changes if activated the following 2 settings:

- global settings/merge sub-groups (sub-groups of contact displayed in the parent group): what is this setting for? please give an example.

- merge groups (merge similar nemaed groups): please give an example here as well for how it should work?
camel

Post by camel »

nick wrote:thanks a lot!

I do not see any changes if activated the following 2 settings:

- global settings/merge sub-groups (sub-groups of contact displayed in the parent group): what is this setting for? please give an example.
if you have contacts "A", "B" in group: 123 and "C", "D" in group: 123.456(sub-group), then you will see on the tab "contact" or all others (excluded tab groups) the group as: 123
otherwise you would see: on A, B -> 123 / and on C and D 123.456
nick wrote: - merge groups (merge similar nemaed groups): please give an example here as well for how it should work?
if you are having severalgroups,which are almost identically ->then they will be shown as 1 group:
ex: group: "abc" and "ABC" are not ident, but they are looking like the same, and then they will be shown as 1 group: "abc"
also, it could be, that 1 groups "Privat" is on account google and 1 group "Privat" is on account EAS ->then they willb e shown in 1 line together.

cu camel
nick

Post by nick »

ok, thanks, now i undertand.

About "merge sub-groups" I thought that the contacts of sub-groups should be shown in the parent group on on the tab "groups", but this is not intended this way, i see.

And about "merge similar named groups" i thought it was intended to merge groups that, for example, begin with the same part of their name like a group "123 - ABC" would be merged in some way with a group "123 - DEF".
Last edited by nick on Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
nick

Post by nick »

Parent-/Sub-groups:
There is a thing i do not like about the parent-/sub-groups: it does not seem possible to apply the long-press context on a parent group (and its sub-groups). Why ?

To my opinion it should be possible to select all the sub-groups by selecting their parent group, so that you do not have to open all the parent groups one after one if you want, let's say, to send a message or assign a ring tone to several sub-groups from different parents.

Maybe you could consider adding a view like the one already existing under "sort & hide" for groups with the additional long-press on selected groups and all its options. What do you think?
camel

Post by camel »

nick wrote:Parent-/Sub-groups:
There is a thing i do not like about the parent-/sub-groups: it does not seem possible to apply the long-press context on a parent group (and its sub-groups). Why ?

To my opinion it should be possible to select all the sub-groups by selecting their parent group, so that you do not have to open all the parent groups one after one if you want, let's say, to send a message or assign a ring tone to several sub-groups from different parents.

Maybe you could consider adding a view like the one already existing under "sort & hide" for groups with the additional long-press on selected groups and all its options. What do you think?
sub groups are notfully supported by all sync-engines ....
to add another function,to handle all sub groups, is not the idea behind sub groups - and is for now not a priority to add "recursive"

maybe you better not using subfolders if you don't want to differ it.
then use normal groups.

cu camel
nick

Post by nick »

i use OUTLOOK 2010 to manage my contacts and i have a lot of categories which i sync them to the phone very often using the software MyPhoneExplorer. Because OUTLOOK does not support sub-categories my main categories are named like this:
000. - a
000. - b
000. - c
....and more of those,

111. - x
111. - y
111. - u
....and so forth

On the phone in the tab "groups" they appear as parent- and sub-categories. But it is not of much use if i cannot select several sub-groups from different "parent groups" and apply the options from the long-press.

In the tab "groups / sort&hide" they appear exactly as in OUTLOOK, i.e. expanded as requiered for my purpose of selecting them, but in "sort & hide" it is not possible to apply the long-press and its options :?

On the other hand it is seems strange and unlogical if you can "multi-select" parent groups in the tab "groups" but can not do anything with this selection becuase it is not possible to apply the long-press :o
camel

Post by camel »

well, this is not needed, because the systembehind "groups" (categories), is that a contact can have multiple relations on groups, so therefore it is better to make more groups, and there make your contacts selections.
this is the principe of groups.

if there would be not possible to addmultiple groups, then your idea would be normal and needed (like often user are doing it for "organization" and sub-organizations)

anyhow, if you want to select multiple groups, then this is possible:
go to tab "groups" -> then menu key -> multi-select, then choose your wanted groups, and then ... you can proceed with loong click on selectiontoget the full list of functions.
(if you want to see also the sub-groups, then change the "group view settings" in setting menu)

we will add in a future version, that the sub-groups can also be shown in list (in multi-select mode view)

cu camel
nick

Post by nick »

camel wrote:...
we will add in a future version, that the sub-groups can also be shown in list (in multi-select mode view)
cu camel
it will be very much appreciated. thanks a lot :D
camel

Post by camel »

but, the list of new features is verylong ... so please have patience
nick

Post by nick »

camel wrote:but, the list of new features is verylong ... so please have patience
sure! what can i do otherwise than buy your app and keep being patient... ;) :mrgreen:
camel

Post by camel »

nick wrote:
camel wrote:but, the list of new features is verylong ... so please have patience
sure! what can i do otherwise than buy your app and keep being patient... ;) :mrgreen:
hehe, thanks for your support :)