Where's Camel, Where is Menu / Settings?

Moderators: dwp, devin

AlCan

Where's Camel, Where is Menu / Settings?

Post by AlCan »

Hi DWP Forum Moderator,

Like others, I'm wondering what has happened to Camel? Has he left?

I installed the latest release V2.1.3(-pro) and things seem to have gone wrong.

Has anyone else had this experience?:

When I first installed, in almost every Tab, pressing the Android Menu button brought up the keyboard instead of the relevant Menu picker. I played about and finally was able to access the Settings menu item, and got into Settings, through the Toolbox tab. Then, I'm pretty sure I tried the Menu button again, and got only one item: Settings. So I opened that as well.

Then the Menu button started working normally again.

But, after closing the app and restarting it, the Menu button doesn't work properly again. Now, it just gives a haptic (vibration) response, but no menu or keyboard. Until I mess about again, with other Tabs, and it starts working properly again.

This is a bit of a worry. It suggests that the latest release hasn't been properly coded or tested. Please, don't take DWP backwards. It's such a great app, but if it stops working properly, there will be a lot of unhappy users.

Can anyone please shed any light on what's become of camel?
Currently (i.e Now, not necessarily the date of this post)
using DW Contacts & Dialer version 2.5.3.0-pro
On Motorola Defy with Android 2.2.2 (Work Phone)
AlCan

Re: Where's Camel, Where is Menu / Settings?

Post by AlCan »

Hi Forum Members and Viewers,

I can now answer part of my own question.

I e-mailed DWP directly. After a while, I received a reply.

It said that Camel is very busy, and that Devin will be answering questions for the time being. Seems odd that Camel couldn't tell us that himself.

Anyway, I look forward to some answers to some of our questions!

Al
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Hello AlCan
This problem often appears in your phone?
It came on my cell phone.
But I can not reproduce it.
Therefore did not find fault.
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Hi Devin,

Yes, this fault happens everytime, on my phone.

As soon as I open DWC, the Menu button doesn't work. (My default Tab is "Organisation").

I can press the Android Menu Button many times. All I get is a "vibrate" response each time. No Menu pops up.

If I now select a different DWC Tab (it seems that any other Tab will do it), then tap the Menu button again, it starts to work normally. The correct popup Menu now appears as usual.

It keeps working normally until I CLOSE or Exit DWC. In other words, Press the Return Button to Close out of DWC.

Then start it up again from the Main App menu. You should be on your Default Tab now.

Now try the Menu button again. Does it work?

Mine doesn't, until I change to another Tab.

Can you repeat this fault?

Cheers,
Al
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Hi Al
I have just done the test.
The same set of the "Organisation" is the default.
But no problems.
Can you tell me, you opened TABs and it order?
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Hi Devin,

The fault happens on my phone when I first start the app. The app appears to open normally, Tabs appear, with the Default one selected.

If I then try to access the Options Menu (Press the Android menu button), all I get is a vibration (haptic). No menu appears. Repeat: Tap, tap, tap... all nothing but haptic.

Then, if I change to any other Tab, the menu will start to work, from then on, until I close the app again. Then open again, it won't work again, first time, until I change to another Tab.

It only started to as soon as I updated to V2.1.3 (-pro). Never had this problem with previous versions.

It's not a big problem, just a small bug, but of course, any obvious bug will put off prospective users of DWP.

I haven't tested all Tabs as the Default, but the same fault occurs whether the Default Tab is "Organisation" or "Search".

Does anyone else have this same problem, with V2.1.3-pro? (or any other version?)

Rgds,
Al
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Thank you!
I will do more tests to hope that we can find the problem.
camel

Post by camel »

AlCan wrote:Hi Devin,

The fault happens on my phone when I first start the app. The app appears to open normally, Tabs appear, with the Default one selected.

If I then try to access the Options Menu (Press the Android menu button), all I get is a vibration (haptic). No menu appears. Repeat: Tap, tap, tap... all nothing but haptic.

Then, if I change to any other Tab, the menu will start to work, from then on, until I close the app again. Then open again, it won't work again, first time, until I change to another Tab.

It only started to as soon as I updated to V2.1.3 (-pro). Never had this problem with previous versions.

It's not a big problem, just a small bug, but of course, any obvious bug will put off prospective users of DWP.

I haven't tested all Tabs as the Default, but the same fault occurs whether the Default Tab is "Organisation" or "Search".

Does anyone else have this same problem, with V2.1.3-pro? (or any other version?)

Rgds,
Al
please can you make a backup of your settings, and then add it to this thread, maybe i can load your specific config
of DWC, and maybe i can then reproduce it.

Also, please can you try to:
1.) reset the settings to default values.
then restart the phone
2.) then try to setzup as you would like it.

then try if you can reproduce it again.
thx - cu Camel

PLS: yes, I'm back again, sorry, but i had very very important private staff todo ...
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Hi Camel,

Welcome Back! :D

I just looked at this bug again, since your return and latest reply.

I will save my (DWC) Settings and upload them, but I thought this would interest you first - and may be enough to solve it?

Since, I guess (as this is the first time I have seen this), upgrading to 2.1.4-pro, when I test the "No-Menu-appears-on-first-startup" bug, I get something new. The menu still doesn't appear, just like before, but now, when I press the Android Menu button, I get new DWC messages instead. These appear in the same style and place (small font, white on black), as other DWC messages (e.g. "Press return again to exit"). Obviously, someone has added some debug code...

It gives various different messages in a timed sequence. The messages change, depending on whether it's the first Menu button tap, or a subsequent tap:

First Tap Sequence:
First msg: "onCreateOptionsMenu:is 0"
Second: "onPreparePanel:is 0"
Third: "onPrepareOptionsMenu:is 0"

Subsequent taps omit the first message:
First: "onPreparePanel:is 0"
Second: "onPrepareOptionsMenu:is 0"

Closing and Restarting DWC causes the process to start again with the 3 message sequence, then only 2 messages until close again, or change Tab.

If I change to a different Tab, DWC starts to work normally. The Menu now appears, the messages don't.

And the Prompt to Exit option also starts working. Otherwise, DWC exits immediately, even though the option is turned On.

But as soon as I change to a new Tab, everything comes right.

It's a weird couple of bugs! But I'm sure the two are somehow the same bug. Doing the same thing, changing to a new Tab, corrects both problems, so it's obviously something in the DWC initialisation sequence (for my version of Android?)

Does this help?

Cheers,
A
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

More news...

I tried DWP V2.1.4-free on an identical phone.

It worked without any of these problems. It must be my phone - again...

Another rebuild... (sigh)

I'll maybe try backing up my settings and do a rebuild. But not today.

Thanks for your interest in this problem. I don't know why it keeps happening, but it's usually DWP that crashes. I suppose something then gets corrupted.

I've had a lot of DWP crashes lately, but for some reason, even though I say E-mail the reports, often they don't get sent.

Oh well...
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

camel wrote: please can you make a backup of your settings, and then add it to this thread, maybe i can load your specific config
of DWC, and maybe i can then reproduce it.

Also, please can you try to:
1.) reset the settings to default values.
then restart the phone
2.) then try to setzup as you would like it.

then try if you can reproduce it again.
thx - cu Camel
Hi again Camel,

Well, some good news - and, maybe, some bad news.

I made a Backup of my settings. Attached.

I restored to Defaults (Freaky, I'm used to my own layout)

I changed one option: "Prompt before Exit" and tested it. It worked correctly first time, every time. (The fault had disappeared.)
I checked the Android Menu button operation. It also worked correctly. No problems that I could see.

I restored the Backup of my Settings.

The faults both came back.

So, the fault is somehow saved in the Backup. If you load it, you should get the same problems. I suspect it's a conflict between certain options, but have no idea which.

I look forward to the results of your analysis!

Cheers,
Al
Attachments
settings120601.zip
Settings with Menu and Exit Prompt bug
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
camel

Post by camel »

sorry, but - if i should find the issue ... pff is not easy to find ...
I'm sorry, but please can you setup your wanted changes in settings, and then look if it works.
because some users had this in past, that there are any strange values, where they had problems, and a restore to default s fix it...
i know, to adjust all settings takes time - but is easier - maybe this issue will not happen again.

cu camel
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Hi Camel,
camel wrote:sorry, but - if i should find the issue ... pff is not easy to find ...
Don't worry, I found it for you.
camel wrote:I'm sorry, but please can you setup your wanted changes in settings, and then look if it works.
Done. The faults reappear.
camel wrote:because some users had this in past, that there are any strange values, where they had problems, and a restore to default s fix it...
Yes, I can understand that. But it doesn't apply in this case.
camel wrote:i know, to adjust all settings takes time - but is easier - maybe this issue will not happen again.
Yes, it sure takes time! :cry: But I did it anyway. 8-) Sorry, didn't work this time. It's a real bug! :o

It's all described under:

viewtopic.php?t=2546#p4036

Hopefully, the guys can fix it for the next release. Though it's not that big a problem, just a little annoying.

Cheers,
A