wildcards

Moderators: dwp, devin

required_alias

wildcards

Post by required_alias »

This should be very easy but I'm not sure if what I'm after is in an Android 'Contacts' app or some other app. Does DWC support wildcards in a contact phone number? That is, I want to create a contact with phone number of 123-456-78** where any incoming calls beginning with 123-456-78 will result in the Contact's name popping up on my screen.
dwp
Site Admin

Re: wildcards

Post by dwp »

Hello
Dial-up interface, you can do so.
Prior to this, you need to open:
Settings - > T9 search settings -> Use number in search
required_alias

Post by required_alias »

Thanks for the reply but I'm confused. I want to create a Contact with a "Work" number of 123-456-78**. Any incoming call beginning with 123-456-78 will popup with that contact's name. I don't want to SEARCH by wildcard - well, I do, but not for purposes here.
I went to SETTINGS>T9 SEARCH SETTINGS> and checked USE NUMBER IN SEARCH. Created a contact with a "Work" number of 123-456-78** and had that person call. The popup shows the number and "?" - not the caller's name. What am I missing?
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Sorry, I understand it correctly.
Do you mean this contact contains all the numbers in a number of segments.
123-456-7800 to 123-456-7899
Now do not support this feature.
More detailed description of your needs?
If possible, I can add.
required_alias

Post by required_alias »

You are correct . . .
"all the numbers in a number of segments 123-456-7800 to 123-456-7899"
Actually, 2 of my contacts have all numbers from 123-456-7890 to 7899.
One contact apparently has what I call a truck line. Calls from one phone but the number can show up as any number from 123-456-7800 to, I guess, 123-456-7899.
Being able to use wildcards would keep me from entering 10, 20, 99 numbers for one contact.
I have a few companies who "own" all the numbers from, say, 123-456-7800 to 123-456-7899. I could use wildcards for that company. No, I wouldn't know which specific individual was calling but, since I deal with a number of people there, I would at least know the company.
From the little programming I know, allowing wildcards wouldn't be difficult as long as the need is there.
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Hello
Yes, I can do.
However, these numbers can not be saved to a contact database.
Because there are tens of thousands of numbers in the contact database. If I check this requires considerable time for each number.
If I use a separate data storage as well as edit data interface. This need to do more work.
required_alias

Post by required_alias »

OK, here is my backup plan. For a Contact, give me a "range" option. That is I enter two numbers - no wildcards.
Starting number - 123-456-7890
ending number - 123-456-7899
Then all the app has to do is 'fill in' the numbers between those two. Since there are no wildcards, this should make the programming easier.
Is this more realistic?
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Hello
Sorry, need more time than using the wildcard to complete the inspection.
I need to determine those numbers need to apply these rules.
If wildcards number small. I can put all such numbers loaded into memory and then call number to compare.
But can not change the system displays the caller information.
Can only result to the "incoming call view" of the DWC.
required_alias

Post by required_alias »

No, no. Forget about wildcards. They aren't needed.
Give me the ability to create a Contact just as I do now. But add one option. When I get to the box where I can identify a number as Home, or Work, or Mobile, give me an option of "Range."
For "Range" I can put in a beginning number (123-456-7890) and an ending number (123-456-7899). Then just program the app to recognize all numbers in that range belong to that specific Contact.
No wildcards. No different than me entering all ten numbers for the contact except the program enters the numbers in the range automatically. The programming shouldn't be difficult and no wildcards are needed.
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Sorry,
Contact the editor is not a DWC part.
I can easily modify it.
I will think about whether there are other ways.
camel

Post by camel »

required_alias wrote:No, no. Forget about wildcards. They aren't needed.
Give me the ability to create a Contact just as I do now. But add one option. When I get to the box where I can identify a number as Home, or Work, or Mobile, give me an option of "Range."
For "Range" I can put in a beginning number (123-456-7890) and an ending number (123-456-7899). Then just program the app to recognize all numbers in that range belong to that specific Contact.
No wildcards. No different than me entering all ten numbers for the contact except the program enters the numbers in the range automatically. The programming shouldn't be difficult and no wildcards are needed.
i strongly siuggest to forget such kind of "range" to find contacts in list.
1.) this is not a android AOSP standard
2.) this would make DWC amount factor 10slower... (to check if a number will fit in a range is in sql every slow and would be done for every number. forget it !

DWC shoulds stay fast to use ... such kind of "defining ranges to find a user or num,ber is a little bit crazy ... let us think about normal standard android functions.

cu Camel