Phone/Call tab has 3 annoying buttons.

Moderators: dwp, devin

amigosnano

Phone/Call tab has 3 annoying buttons.

Post by amigosnano »

I downloaded the newest version and 3 buttons show up in the call tab. I can't find the option to take them.off. The 3 buttons filter for incoming answered calls, missed calls, and outgoing calls. There is a blue arrow button, red and green button. What are these actually called, and how do I hide them?

Thanks!

David
dwp
Site Admin

Re: Phone/Call tab has 3 annoying buttons.

Post by dwp »

Hello
I will add the option to hide them in the new version.
DougSSr

Post by DougSSr »

Yes, I have the same desire; to have the option to hide these three buttons. It is a nice feature and could be useful at times, but normally it is just in the way and takes up valuable screen space. I'm happy to see that a view/hide option is planned for the next update. A quick way to toggle it on and off would also be a nice touch.
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Hi David, dwp

Actually, most phones have a system for filtering Recent calls into Missed, Dialled, Answered and I think it's a great, minor addition. A feature that was lacking, I think.

However, your comment has helped me to realise that the way it has been done is counter-intuitive. Maybe that's why they are annoying to you?

dwp:

Rather than having the buttons cause the list to be re-filtered to omit the chosen item(s), could they instead, cause a new exclusive list to be displayed?

What I'm trying to say is that maybe the logic has been implemented back-to-front. Normally, all the buttons are on, and the whole list is displayed.

But if you want to see the Missed calls list, you need to turn off the other two. That is inverse logic.

Instead, it would be much better, if you click on the Missed calls icon, to get the Missed calls list, rather than the "Non-Missed Calls" list - on other words, Dialled and Received. That list seems to have almost no practical use, and certainly isn't the way my mind works.

If anyone actually likes it the way it is, could we have another option then, for Normal and Inverse logic?

Regards,
Al
Currently (i.e Now, not necessarily the date of this post)
using DW Contacts & Dialer version 2.5.3.0-pro
On Motorola Defy with Android 2.2.2 (Work Phone)
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Hi AI
Thank you recommendations.
I will consider amending it.
The present work are flexible but not commonly used.
camel

Post by camel »

i think, it will be good enough, if we put it into the menu
this mean, in tab "phone" or "history" -> press "menu key" ->
there can be "history filter" -> then show the items: "missed calls/incomming calls/ outgoing calls / blocked calls" and on every one there can be set the flag On/off
and user can select, which one to display.
(the graphic fields is a nice good idea, but cost to much important space, and can be diabled i mean ..)
but, let us discuss - maybe another good ideas - but let us keep it simple ... mostly "all" will be activated
cu camel
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Hi Camel,
camel wrote:i think, it will be good enough, if we put it into the menu
this mean, in tab "phone" or "history" -> press "menu key" ->
there can be "history filter" -> then show the items: "missed calls/incomming calls/ outgoing calls / blocked calls" and on every one there can be set the flag On/off
and user can select, which one to display.
If I understand you correctly, there will be pre-settable flags or option toggles to control which elements are displayed in the Calls History list.

Personally, I wouldn't like this proposal. It seems too limited and too laborious, any time you wish to obtain a different view.

Let me refer you to what other phone makers do. My personal phone is a Nokia. I have stuck with Nokia since my very first cellphone, as I have always found their interface to be better and more logical than many others. I have also used Motorola (old), Ericsson (which died after a short time), Samsung and others. Although I can still say I prefer the Nokia menus, all the phones had the ability to choose (select) the type of Call History List to display, from a menu. There was no need to set any options or toggles. You always had the choice, from the Call History menu, to view Missed calls now, or Dialled calls then. In my current Nokia, I even have a Quick-access shortcut to my Missed Calls list.

Having only one list, which has to be "programmed" to be one type or another would be very cumbersome.

At worst, I would want to see an Android popup Menu option (say "Calls List") which when selected, opens another menu which offers: Missed, Received, Blocked, Called.

Choosing any one of those will then display the list, filtered as requested. (I see very little value in an option of being able to display mixed types, such as Called and Missed together, so don't think Mixed lists are necessary.)

Alternatively (or, better additionally, user controllable), retain the newly introduced button bar, with 4 options instead of the current three. I suggest that it starts with all the buttons "Off", and the list is displayed unfiltered.

Pressing any button will cause the list to be re-displayed, filtered according to the button that was pressed. Thus, you would start with the entire list of all Recent Calls. If you press the Missed Calls icon, you'll get the list of only Missed calls. The relevant button should illuminate (I suggest the button background change from grey to maybe Orange), showing which list is being displayed. Nothing too complex there. Pressing any other button will cause the list to be re-filtered, according to the button selected. The previous button would automatically be turned off. Pressing any On button again could cause it to turn Off, thereby displaying the whole list once more.

No doubt, there are other ways this could be done...
camel wrote:(the graphic fields is a nice good idea, but cost to much important space, and can be diabled i mean ..)
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Are you referring to my earlier suggestion that the "lights and icons" be replaced just with bigger icons? My intention was not to use any additional space (above what has already been taken by the new bar), just get rid of the green "lights" and make the icons bigger, as dwp has shown, here: viewtopic.php?t=2555

I think these could be made bigger yet, without needing to increase the height of the button bar.

Or, are you saying the button bar itself uses too much space? I wouldn't agree. The additional functionality makes up for it by dramatically cutting the size of each list (generally speaking).

That's my 2 cents worth. Hopefully, others will add to this.

Cheers,
Al
Currently (i.e Now, not necessarily the date of this post)
using DW Contacts & Dialer version 2.5.3.0-pro
On Motorola Defy with Android 2.2.2 (Work Phone)
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Further thought:

Maybe it's time the whole PHONE Tab was reworked?

I mean, if you are viewing the Calls History lists and filtering them according to predefined buttons, why do you need the dialler visible at all? I don't know about others, but if I'm reviewing my calls list and I find the contact, I just Dial using the icon beside the contact. Doesn't everyone do that?

If you want to edit a number before dialing, why not use a Long Tap on the dial icon to bring up the dialler and paste the number into the dial field ready for editing and/or dialing?

Another 1c worth...
camel

Post by camel »

well, there are different user whicha re having different whishes .... therefore is the dialer .. some only using the call log (history)
the "history" tab will be in future having all logs (calls, sms, mms)
but - we decide to make the call filter now easy - only put it inot the menu, and from there, then the user can open the call filter options.
i mean this is enough - simple and eas, and I'm sure, the call filtering will not sso often changed, that we should waste a lot of space on screen.
it could be, that the "history" will get in future another tab bar, where you can change to:
SMS/Calls/All
and the filtering itself can then be changed, if clicking "menu key -> History Ffiltering -> and there will be poup a window, where user can setup:
-> Call incoming
-> Call outgoing
-> Call missed
-> Call blocked
-> SMS incoming
-> SMS outgoing

cu camel