Merging of Contacts.

Moderators: dwp, devin

aladdin

Merging of Contacts.

Post by aladdin »

I bought the program on:

Order Date: August 3, 2012
Order Number: 12999763169054705758.1349503236736923

I have three problems there I will make three separate threads.

I have exactly 1600 contacts. Google keeps asking to merge similar contacts, which I have refused to do so, as it a stupid program which doesn't take into account subtle differences in names. It merges two subtle dissimilar names, two contacts into one contact.

In your program, under groups it shows exactly a total of 1567 contacts under "My Contacts" group, thus it is merging contacts. At the bottom under "Automatic Groups" it shows exactly a total of 1592 contacts under "All contacts" group.

I have not found any setting not to do this merging. Under "Global settings", I have unchecked "Merge sub-group". Also, I have unchecked "Only contact with phones".

1. How not to merge the contacts?

2. What is "Merge sub-group" means?

Best regards,
dwp
Site Admin

Re: Merging of Contacts.

Post by dwp »

Hello
Merge contacts, which should be to adjust the configuration of your mobile phone developers. The original Android Merge contacts does not require, so I'm not clear what happened in your phone.
Number of contacts statistics
In the group "My Contacts", it shows the number of contacts included in this group.
In the group "all contacts", it shows the number of contacts in your phone.
Because some contacts are not included in the group "My Contacts". The number of "all contacts" will be even greater.
The number of statistics based on the merged contact.
"Merge sub-group"
It is when you use more than one layer group structure management contacts.
When you open a group, it will display the sub-group contacts at the same time.
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

Either you have not taken time to understand or you have not understood what I have written.

In my Google email account I have 1600 "all contacts", which Google calls "My contacts". Your application shows 1567 "all contacts". So your app showing 33 less contacts than there are in my Google email account.

Another example in my Google email account under the "Christmas" group I have 82 contacts. In your app under the "Christmas" group it was showing 81 contacts. I had to go contact by contact in this group to find the difference. I found two contacts with dis-similar but very near similar names were joined together in your app in my phone. When I un-joined these two contacts, I had exactly 82 contacts in my "Christmas" group in my phone in your app as it is in the Google email account.

When one logs into Google email account and then under the contacts, Google gives this silly option to join similar name contacts. It has never worked, so I have never used it. Same problem is with your app that it automatically joins contacts, rather than giving "an option" to "join contacts" like Google email account does.

Best regards,
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

It is very frustrating to post in the forum and not have it posted until 2 to 3 days later. Therefore, I will contact you through email.

Best regards,
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Hi aladdin,

Do you have any currently linked (or joined) contacts?

If so, the reported number of contacts will be less.

As far as I know, DWP doesn't link contacts by itself. You have to link them yourself, and it's an Android function, not a DWP one. In other words, you can also link contacts using your Stock Contact app.

But I'm not sure of any easy way to find out which contacts you have linked.

Merging contacts is different from Linking, in case it's not clear. If you merge them, I think it's a one-way operation and can't be undone.

Hope this helps. (You made a great choice to buy DWP, by the way! It is the best, by far.)

Rgds,
Al
Currently (i.e Now, not necessarily the date of this post)
using DW Contacts & Dialer version 2.5.3.0-pro
On Motorola Defy with Android 2.2.2 (Work Phone)
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

The problem lies I am not allowed to post even though I am a paid customer. My posts have to be moderated, therefore a meaningful discussion cannot take place.

Best regards,
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Hello
Because the previous forum spam troubled.
Limit enabled, users need to publish three posts and audit, without audit Posts.
Regarding your problem.
Indeed, as Al said.
DWC will not merge contacts, in the absence of user requirements.
And when you manually split a merged contacts, the contacts are split will be marked not need to merge.
After you manually split contacts they will be re-merge?
I thought maybe merged these contacts synchronization program.
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

I am not sure that I have explained my problem properly or not. Here is one more time, from the start. Please read carefully, what I am writing below:

In my Google email account I have:

Christmas 0 (Not a main group) : 246 Contacts

Christmas 1 (Not a sub-group) : 82 Contacts (These Contacts are in Christmas 0, too)

Christmas 2 (Not a sub-group) : 82 Contacts (These Contacts are in Christmas 0, too)

Christmas 3 (Not a sub-group) : 82 Contacts (These Contacts are in Christmas 0, too)

Thus making a total of 246 Contacts in Christmas 1, Christmas 2, Christmas 3. Just like in Christmas 0.

Now in Cell (Phone - GSM), I had the following:

Christmas 0 (Not a main group) : 244 Contacts, 2 Contacts short

Christmas 1 (Not a sub-group) : 82 Contacts (These Contacts are in Christmas 0, too)

Christmas 2 (Not a sub-group) : 81 Contacts (These Contacts are in Christmas 0, too), 1 Contact short

Christmas 3 (Not a sub-group) : 82 Contacts (These Contacts are in Christmas 0, too)

I compared the Christmas 2 in my Google email account to my Cell (Phone - GSM), contact by contact. I found that in my Cell (Phone - GSM), there were two contacts with almost (subtle) similar names. So, in my Cell (Phone - GSM) for this "joined" contact, I used the command "separate". It separated the two "joined" contacts into two "separate" contacts.

Now in my Cell (Phone - GSM), I have the following:

Christmas 0 (Not a main group) : 245 Contacts, 1 Contact short

Christmas 2 (Not a sub-group) : 82 Contacts (These Contacts are in Christmas 0, too)

I should have used the word "joined", instead of "merge".

Best regards,
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

Thank you dwp and AlCan to both of you, trying to help sort my problem out.

Best regards,

aladdin
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

aladdin wrote:Thank you dwp and AlCan to both of you, trying to help sort my problem out.
You're welcome. Glad it's (almost) sorted. I guess you still have a pair of joined contacts hiding in your Christmas 0 group. But as I say, I don't know of an easy way to find them. In fact, when I first encountered Android, I found the whole thing of "Linked profiles" as my version of Android calls them, extremely confusing and frustrating. I was thinking Link as in Hyperlink or Link as in Chain, and was expecting to be able to link related contacts, but it's no such thing, it's really a reversible Merge, and I can't really see the use of it. Nor, apparently, can you.

Personally, I think Linked is entirely the wrong word, and, as you say, it should be Joined, while Linking should be a way of connecting contacts in some user-definable way. For example, I would like to be able to link Suppliers and/or/to Contractors and/or/to Businesses. I'm sure other people would have similar uses.

With regard to the creation of Links, I'm pretty sure Android does some linking by itself though I can't clarify the circumstances. But I'm sure I've had it happen, either through editing a Contact or copying one, or some similar operation. I've ended up with Linked COntacts, though I know I didn't knowingly link them. Maybe this is how your contacts also got linked.

Regards,
A
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

AlCan wrote:
aladdin wrote:Thank you dwp and AlCan to both of you, trying to help sort my problem out.
You're welcome. Glad it's (almost) sorted. I guess you still have a pair of joined contacts hiding in your Christmas 0 group. But as I say, I don't know of an easy way to find them. In fact, when I first encountered Android, I found the whole thing of "Linked profiles" as my version of Android calls them, extremely confusing and frustrating. I was thinking Link as in Hyperlink or Link as in Chain, and was expecting to be able to link related contacts, but it's no such thing, it's really a reversible Merge, and I can't really see the use of it. Nor, apparently, can you.
No, it is not almost sorted. I posted my first post after discovering the above. The problem has to do with DWP app and nothing else. When I look at the stock (default) Google Nexus app, it shows 246 Contacts in Christmas 0, just like in my Google email account. Whereas in the DWP it shows 245 Contacts in Christmas 0. Therefore, there is a bug in DWP app.

Common sense, Christmas 1, Christmas 2 and Christmas 3 have 82 Contacts each, unlinked, unjoined, unmerged (whatever the term), therefore Christmas 0 should have 246 Contacts and not 245 Contacts.

AlCan wrote: Personally, I think Linked is entirely the wrong word, and, as you say, it should be Joined, while Linking should be a way of connecting contacts in some user-definable way. For example, I would like to be able to link Suppliers and/or/to Contractors and/or/to Businesses. I'm sure other people would have similar uses.
I think with all this terminology we are going far away from my problem. I used the word, "merged" because it is in DWP app, in the "Global settings". I used the word "join" and "separate" because when one opens a contact in DWP app, this terminology in the the "Contacts setting".
AlCan wrote: With regard to the creation of Links, I'm pretty sure Android does some linking by itself though I can't clarify the circumstances. But I'm sure I've had it happen, either through editing a Contact or copying one, or some similar operation. I've ended up with Linked COntacts, though I know I didn't knowingly link them. Maybe this is how your contacts also got linked.
I think we are far, far off here.
AlCan wrote: Regards,
A
Kindest regards,

aladdin
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

Dear DWP,

I have taken screenshots of your app and the default (stock) Nexus Galaxy app. I cannot post it here, I can email you, as your app. shows my email address under each group. I believe my problem is very easy to understand, as long as we leave the terminology alone.

In your (DWP) app, I have in my Cell Phone (GSM):

Christmas 0 (Not a main group) : 245 Contacts, 1 Contact short.

Making a total of 246 Contacts in Christmas 1, Christmas 2, Christmas 3.

In the stock (default) Google Nexus app, I have in my Cell Phone (GSM):

Christmas 0 (Not a main group) : 246 Contacts, 0 Contacts short.

Thus making a total of 246 Contacts in Christmas 1, Christmas 2, Christmas 3. Just like in Christmas 0.

The above is very easy to understand. If you want to I can email you the screenshots of your app and the default (stock) Nexus Galaxy app.

Best regards,

aladdin
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

Dear DWP,

Email sent with screenshots.

Best regards,

aladdin
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Dear aladdin
I received the picture., it looks DWC has a bug.
When you open the group Christmas 0. In the top of the screen contains the statistics of the number of contacts. Check here to display correctly?
Thanks!
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

dwp wrote:Dear aladdin
When you open the group Christmas 0. In the top of the screen contains the statistics of the number of contacts. Check here to display correctly?
Thanks!
Dear DWP,

When I open the group Christmas 0, at the top it says, "Displaying 245 Contact". So,it doesn't display correctly here too.

Best regards,

aladdin
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

Dear DWP,

Every time, I uninstall the DWP app from my Cell Phone and then reinstall it, after syncing it joins some of the Contacts, even though these contacts are not joined in my Google email account. I have to manually separates these Contacts, the ones I am aware of. With 1600 Contacts, I am not aware all of them.

Best regards,

aladdin
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Hi aladdin,
aladdin wrote:When I look at the stock (default) Google Nexus app, it shows 246 Contacts in Christmas 0, just like in my Google email account. Whereas in the DWP it shows 245 Contacts in Christmas 0. Therefore, there is a bug in DWP app.
Ok, I see you have your own very strong view about this. You see it as a bug. However, I see it as a useful difference. Otherwise, how can you tell that some contacts are linked? The issue is what is doing the linking?
aladdin wrote:Every time, I uninstall the DWP app from my Cell Phone and then reinstall it, after syncing it joins some of the Contacts, even though these contacts are not joined in my Google email account. I have to manually separates these Contacts, the ones I am aware of. With 1600 Contacts, I am not aware all of them.
If that is happening, I would agree with you: it must be a Bug! Interesting that it apparently occurs after synching - I presume with your Google account? Can you confirm that the joined contacts are also joined in your Stock contact viewer?
aladdin wrote:I cannot post it here, I can email you, as your app. shows my email address under each group.
FWIW, other posters edit their screen shots to blur out private details before they post screen shots. It's quite easy to do. I think it would help us all if we could all see what you are discussing. Otherwise, why have a forum?

Cheers,
A
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

AlCan wrote:
Thanks!
Hi aladdin,

Ok, I see you have your own very strong view about this. You see it as a bug. However, I see it as a useful difference. Otherwise, how can you tell that some contacts are linked? The issue is what is doing the linking?
Dear AlCan,

It seemed that you missed it. DWP has confirmed that it as a bug.

Best regards,

aladdin
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

aladdin wrote:It seemed that you missed it. DWP has confirmed that it as a bug.
Nope! Didn't miss it at all.

Actually, DWP only said:
dwp wrote:it looks DWC has a bug.
That's only "looks [like]" - which isn't confirmation in my book. He may investigate the code and find it's not a bug. Chances are, your "lost" contact is actually linked to a contact in another group (that you haven't identified or reported). BTW, in case you aren't aware, English is only a second or third language for DWP, and sometimes, though he does very well most of the time, he misunderstands people's issues. For example: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2618. So...

Please READ and THINK about what _I_ have written - rather than focusing entirely on yourself!

The issue is, what is the alleged Bug?

If it's that, when contacts are linked, they get counted by DWC as only one contact, I don't consider that a bug. If that's the issue, then I regard it as highly questionable that it's a bug at all.

I would regard that, absolutely, as a feature. Hence, my questions.

Are you, of course, aware that it's vital that you leave the Stock Contact Manager installed? If you want to know the number of - let's call them Contact Records - use that, since it apparently tells you what you want to know. You may not realise that it's not a perfect world, and never will be. Not everything can be nailed, bolted or screwed down, forever!

Once you get to understand the differences, you'll see that the Stock Contacts system still has some other unique and essential features, that you need to retain it for. But, if you want to know the number of "Visible" contacts, you can refer to DWC. That way, you can then establish that you have Linked profiles, and, what's more, how many.

Basically, I'm willing to bet that you have had these Linked profiles all along, and it's only since you installed DWP that you discovered this Absolute Horror! The Truth. As you say, you have EXACTLY 1,600 contacts, but you don't know which ones of them are linked. As I say, chances are, you already had them, and, apparently, still have at least one. Would you rather have the Truth, or merely a convenient lie you'd prefer to think of as the truth?

Now, it appears to me, you want DWP to get rid of the feature that allows you (and everyone else) to know the Truth - that you have ANY linked profiles.

Sorry, but I don't consider that clever at all.

You may have succeeded in convincing DWP that it's a bug because he really is a very obliging fellow, but there may be very good reasons not to change it. That's what I'd like to debate.

So, in your most precise manner, would you please describe to this forum, exactly what the bug you think you have found actually is?

Regards,
AlCan
Last edited by AlCan on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

You are so way, way far off, and that you are stuck in terminology.

I have 1600 contacts in my Google email account. About three weeks ago, I purchased the Google Nexus cell phone along with DW Contacts and Phone. My very first Android cell phone. The stock (default) Contact and Phone in Nexus Galaxy shows 1600 contacts, whereas in DW Contacts and Phone it shows 1567 contacts only.

Prior to that I owned a Windows cell phone. This is the very first time I am owning Android cell phone.

As simple as above.
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

Tally up and let us do a very simple math exercise.

82 contacts in both groups, Christmas 0 and Christmas 1
82 contacts in both groups, Christmas 0 and Christmas 2
82 contacts in both groups, Christmas 0 and Christmas 3

Answer: How many contacts should be in group, Christmas 0?

Simple as that.
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

aladdin wrote:Dear DWP,

Every time, I uninstall the DWP app from my Cell Phone and then reinstall it, after syncing it joins some of the Contacts, even though these contacts are not joined in my Google email account. I have to manually separates these Contacts, the ones I am aware of. With 1600 Contacts, I am not aware all of them.

Best regards,

aladdin
I think the combination occurs in the synchronization of the time.You can try to uninstall DWC and then do the synchronization when not installed DWC.
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

aladdin wrote:You are so way, way far off, and that you are stuck in terminology.

I have 1600 contacts in my Google email account. About three weeks ago, I purchased the Google Nexus cell phone along with DW Contacts and Phone. My very first Android cell phone. The stock (default) Contact and Phone in Nexus Galaxy shows 1600 contacts, whereas in DW Contacts and Phone it shows 1567 contacts only.

Prior to that I owned a Windows cell phone. This is the very first time I am owning Android cell phone.

As simple as above.
If the contacts are merged. The stock (default) Contact show 1600 contacts.
I think it has a bug.Or different statistical methods.Statistics on the number of contacts in the no merger.
I think I understand where the problem lies.

ContactA in group Christmas 1
ContactB in group Christmas 2
ContactA , ContactB in group Christmas 0

If the contact does not have to be merged
Then display the number of contacts
Christmas 1 -> 1
Christmas 2 -> 1
Christmas 0 -> 2

But if the ContactA, ContactB is merged
Number of contacts will display
Christmas 1 -> 1
Christmas 2 -> 1
Christmas 0 -> 1
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Hi AlCan
Thank you.
I am using Google Translate to communicate with you.
Please forgive me this might bring trouble.
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

aladdin wrote:You are so way, way far off, and that you are stuck in terminology.
;-) I'm sorry, but I can only Laugh!

If you check this thread, you'll see that it was me who first pointed out to you that if you have Linked profiles (using the Android V2.2.2 terminology, just so it's clear and everyone can understand and not be confused), the number of "Contacts" reported by DWP will be less. This is because it only reports let's call them "Unique entries". When you view a Linked Contact, you actually see the merged data from both (or however many contacts are linked). If you drill down further, you can see which contacts are linked, and can separate them again if you want. As you have found.

So what is wrong with DWP regarding these Linked profiles as one Contact, as it does? Seems like a great idea to me, and I don't want DWP to change it.

You seem to be awfully stuck on the fact that DWP gives a different number from the Stock app. Heck! In the USA (and Europe, and China), they drive on the wrong side of the road. They still manage to drive all around a massive continent that way though. They (the Yanks) also measure their fuel in US Gallons (different from Imperial Gallons), and record distances in miles. Corr! They even still build their cars using imperial measurements (you know, inches, and "thou'", etc). They even still use the Fahrenheit scale for temperature. But it doesn't alter one speck the freezing or boiling points of water. Get over it, I say!
aladdin wrote:About three weeks ago, I purchased the Google Nexus cell phone along with DW Contacts and Phone. My very first Android cell phone.
As you say, you've been using Android and DWP for about a whole three weeks. I've been doing the same for over a year, and I've known about this "issue" for longer than you have had an Android phone. And I don't regard it as an issue. As far as I'm concerned, this is all a Tornado in a Teacup. Having (as you obviously see it) the "Wrong" number of "Contacts" listed by DWP is a good thing, AFAIAC.

As I've explained, it provides valuable information that is not readily available anywhere else. Why do you want to change that?
aladdin wrote:The stock (default) Contact and Phone in Nexus Galaxy shows 1600 contacts, whereas in DW Contacts and Phone it shows 1567 contacts only.
Yep. Excellent. In reality, I think that confirms that you have, Hmm, let me see... 1600 - 1567 = 33. Ahhh, about 33 contacts that appear to be "lost", because, in reality, they are linked to others of your 1567 listed contacts. I suggest that if you can find the 33 linked profiles and separate them, then, by some incredible, glorious and wondrous miracle, DWP will also report 1600 Contacts.

Do you think that's a bug? I sure don't.
aladdin wrote:Prior to that I owned a Windows cell phone.
My condolences. I guess it's taken you a wee while to see the light. I took one look at a Windows phone, read a couple of reviews and decided immediately that the Windows phone platform was not the way of the future. And I think it is a mistake that has also cost Nokia very dearly.
aladdin wrote:This is the very first time I am owning Android cell phone.
Oh dear. I suspect the complexities of Android may be too much for you.

But, where there's life, there's hope. Why not take a little time to learn more about it, rather than telling more seasoned users such as myself that I am
aladdin wrote:so way, way far off
??

Maybe try a little Prozac?
aladdin wrote:As simple as above.
Sorry, but it's obviously not obviously simple. Life is complex. Extremely complex. Android and DWP are also somewhat complex. Ahh, but Ignorance is bliss, and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Hi DWP,
dwp wrote:Hi AlCan
Thank you.
You are most welcome.
dwp wrote:I am using Google Translate to communicate with you.
Ahh, didn't realise that!
dwp wrote:Please forgive me this might bring trouble.
Yes, sometimes Google translate to Chinese is not very good. But usually, I can understand you.

Anyway, as in previous post, I don't think this is a bug. It's the result of a different way of calculating, and I find it very useful. Please don't change it, as then there will be no easy way to see if there are any Linked profiles!

Cheers,
AlCan
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

:D Before I did not notice the stock program using different statistical methods.
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

dwp wrote::D Before I did not notice the stock program using different statistical methods.
Dear DWP,

What are you finally saying. Are you saying that there is no bug?

Best regards,
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

dwp wrote:
aladdin wrote:Dear DWP,

Best regards,

aladdin
I think the combination occurs in the synchronization of the time.You can try to uninstall DWC and then do the synchronization when not installed DWC.
Dear DWP,

I used the wrong word called, "synchronization" here. When I uninstall and reinstall DWP, which I have done umpteen times, the contacts are already there in my phone cell upon uninstall of DWP. The contacts are there and not gone anywhere, they haven't disappeared from my cell phone just because I have uninstalled DWP. The contacts are there because I have not reformatted (factory reset) my cell phone, they have not disappeared from my cell phone just because I have uninstalled DWP. When I install the DWP again, the DWP brings in the contacts, which are already there in the cell phone.

Sorry, to used the wrong word called, "synchronization".

Best regards,

aladdin
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

Dear DWP,

I have not linked and/or merged any contacts in my cell phone. This is for your information.

Best regards,

aladdin
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Dear aladdin

I think I understand where the problem lies.
When the first time you sync contacts from your Gmail account. Contact should have been merged. As you can see, you have found the some merged associates. Now there is a merge contacts Maybe you can find it.

Please check for this situation.
ContactA in group Christmas 1
ContactB in group Christmas 2
ContactA , ContactB in group Christmas 0

If the contact does not have to be merged
Then display the number of contacts
Christmas 1 -> 1
Christmas 2 -> 1
Christmas 0 -> 2

But if the ContactA, ContactB is merged
Number of contacts will display
Christmas 1 -> 1
Christmas 2 -> 1
Christmas 0 -> 1
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Dear aladdin
You can do a test
Create two contact
t1
t2
Add them to the group the "test"
Now you can see the stock contacts and DWC group "test" contains two contacts.
Then merge contacts t1 and t2.
Now you will see the "test" contains a contact in DWC. Contains two contacts in the stock contacts.

But when you open the group "test"
You can only see a contact in the of stock Contacts and DWC.
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

AlCan wrote:
aladdin wrote:Prior to that I owned a Windows cell phone.
My condolences. I guess it's taken you a wee while to see the light. I took one look at a Windows phone, read a couple of reviews and decided immediately that the Windows phone platform was not the way of the future. And I think it is a mistake that has also cost Nokia very dearly.
aladdin wrote:This is the very first time I am owning Android cell phone.
Oh dear. I suspect the complexities of Android may be too much for you.

Maybe try a little Prozac?

Sorry, but it's obviously not obviously simple. Life is complex. Extremely complex. Android and DWP are also somewhat complex. Ahh, but Ignorance is bliss, and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Dear DWP,

Please see the above disrespected, sarcastic and abusive language.

You have customers from all countries of the world.

You have a decision to make here. Are you going to allow other members on this forum to disrespect, use sarcasm, and use abusive language to your paid customers, who have genuine concerns. If you continue to allow this, your forum will be soon spammed, and not only you will loose control of the forum, but you will loose valuable customers too.

I have been abused, disrespected and cruelly mistreated above.

Best regards,
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

You can do a test
Create two contact
t1
t2
Add them to the group the "test"
Now you can see the stock contacts and DWC group "test" contains two contacts.
Then merge contacts t1 and t2.
Now you will see the "test" contains a contact in DWC. Contains two contacts in the stock contacts.

But when you open the group "test"
You can only see a contact in the of stock Contacts and DWC.
Dear DWP,

I do understand what are you saying above. But, unfortunately you are assuming that I have merged my contacts, which I have confirmed to you more than once that I have not merged, joined and/or linked any contacts.

I have 1600 contacts in my Google email account. When I bought my cell phone and synced my cell phone to my Google email account, it showed 1600 contacts in the stock (default) Contacts and Phone. When I bought your app, and downloaded it, it showed 1567 contacts in your app.

One more time, I have not merged, joined and/or linked any contacts in my cell phone.

Best regards,

aladdin
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Hello
I'm not saying that you manually merge contacts. Contact may not be automatically merged when synchronizing.
You can correct the number of contacts in the stock.
With the stock contacts when you open a group.
To see whether it is so much contact is displayed.

See the picture
Show three contacts in the group test
Screenshot_2012-09-14-14-25-54.png
Screenshot_2012-09-14-14-25-54.png (84.49 KiB) Viewed 2225640 times
But when you open the group, you can only see two contacts.Because the contacts are merged.
Screenshot_2012-09-14-14-26-02.png
Screenshot_2012-09-14-14-26-02.png (51.58 KiB) Viewed 2225640 times
Please open you mentioned Christmas 0 in stock contacts
View really shows 246 contacts?
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

aladdin wrote: Dear DWP,

Please see the above disrespected, sarcastic and abusive language.

You have customers from all countries of the world.

You have a decision to make here. Are you going to allow other members on this forum to disrespect, use sarcasm, and use abusive language to your paid customers, who have genuine concerns. If you continue to allow this, your forum will be soon spammed, and not only you will loose control of the forum, but you will loose valuable customers too.

I have been abused, disrespected and cruelly mistreated above.

Best regards,
Dear aladdin
Sorry, I use google translate.Translation results can not I understand all.Therefore, I can not see that the implied message.I will send a message to AlCan.
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

dwp wrote: Dear aladdin
Sorry, I use google translate.Translation results can not I understand all.Therefore, I can not see that the implied message.I will send a message to AlCan.
Dear DWP,

Thank you. I believe this thread has been hijacked, therefore we will continue in the email. We are just duplicating things here. I have sent you two emails, in reply to your two emails. Please see them and reply them.

Best regards,
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Dear aladdin,

I apologise for my sarcastic comments to you.

I'm just another paid-up DWP user, who happens to be very supportive of the product, and who likes to keep in touch with the forum and with developments in DWC (=DWP).

As part of my commitment to the product, I try to help people in this forum, when I feel I can assist.

Unfortunately, on this occasion I reacted in kind to the way you rejected my assistance.

Sorry about that. I hope you someday come to love DWC as much as I do, as it really is a great product. (I wish I had shares!)

All the best,
AlCan

P.S. About 2 days back, I posted the following comment:
With regard to the creation of Links, I'm pretty sure Android does some linking by itself though I can't clarify the circumstances. But I'm sure I've had it happen, either through editing a Contact or copying one, or some similar operation. I've ended up with Linked COntacts, though I know I didn't knowingly link them. Maybe this is how your contacts also got linked.
I never meant you to think I thought you did it yourself, or that you did anything wrong. Sorry if that is how it came across.
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

AlCan wrote:Dear aladdin,

I apologise for my sarcastic comments to you.

I'm just another paid-up DWP user, who happens to be very supportive of the product, and who likes to keep in touch with the forum and with developments in DWC (=DWP).

As part of my commitment to the product, I try to help people in this forum, when I feel I can assist.

Unfortunately, on this occasion I reacted in kind to the way you rejected my assistance.

Sorry about that. I hope you someday come to love DWC as much as I do, as it really is a great product. (I wish I had shares!)

All the best,
AlCan
Dear AlCan,

Thank you for kind apology. I believe DWP is an excellent app and I think it is a great product too. However, if I am having issue, that doesn't mean that I don't like the app or I am trying to demean the app. On the contrary, I like the app and I want to use it and improve it and for this reason I am posting in here and in emails with DWP too. If I didn't like the product, I would have abandoned it long time ago and have not wasted my time.

I am a very experienced computer and smart phone user. I bought my first genuine IBM PC, when they first came out in 1983/84. It even didn't have a hard drive and later on they came out with IBM PC AT with 10MB hard drive. I have kept with up with the technology since then every year, buying at least one computer per year.

Same with Smart Phones too. In olden days, it was only Windows OS. HTC was producing the Smart Phones and it had Windows. I was very active in XDA community, using cooked ROMs and myself cooked couple of ROMs too. That was the only choice available in those days and nothing else. I kept up with the technology, and every year I bought a new Smart Phone or two. I remember, Google donating money to XDA to come up with the Android OS, and the winner to get $100,000.

Microsoft was being greedy as usual and when iPhone came out, I moved from HTC to iPhone. Couldn't do very much and I had to jail break every iPhone and iPad, even the latest iPhone 4S too. But if one jail breaks the iPhone or iPad and when a new OS comes out, it breaks the jail break and then one has to wait for ages for new jail break for the new OS.

My son bought Google Nexus Galaxy and he didn't like it very much, so he took my iPhone 4S and gave me his phone. The first thing I did was to root it. And, then I bought bunch of apps, including the DW Contacts and Phone. This is the best thing my son did to me to give me his Google Nexus Galaxy. I went out and bought Samsung Galaxy S3 for my other SIM, which is in HTC LEO HD2. When my daughter saw the phone, she snatched it for her other SIM, until such time, she buys the iPhone 5,

Anyhow, yesterday I put the very first cooked ROM called, "Codename Android v3.5.0" on my Google Nexus Galaxy and I am back to XDA community.

My apologies too,

aladdin.

AlCan wrote: P.S. About 2 days back, I posted the following comment:
I believe you might have a point here and I am coming to the same conclusion too.

Best regards,

aladdin.
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

dwp wrote:Hello
Please open you mentioned Christmas 0 in stock contacts
View really shows 246 contacts?
Dear DWP.

You are right that it doesn't show 246 contacts, and it shows 245 contacts. I am coming to conclusion that the bug lies with Google Gmail.

Whenever I log into the Google Gmail account, it asks me to merge my contacts, which I have always refused to do so, as lots of my contacts have very similar names.

Being unsure, what is happening, for this reason I posted in this sub-forum called, "Questions", rather than in the sub-forum called, "Bugs Reports".

Best regards,

aladdin.
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Dear aladdin.
I think the problem is not with Gmail merge the contacts. Gmail Merge contacts, it will no longer be two contacts. You can not split them. They only one record in the database.

If you are using a mobile phone Merge Contacts.
Two contacts in the database at the same time, they just marked to be merged. Then you will in a single interface to see them two, you can split them.

Your case is the second.
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

dwp wrote:Dear aladdin.
I think the problem is not with Gmail merge the contacts. Gmail Merge contacts, it will no longer be two contacts. You can not split them. They only one record in the database.

If you are using a mobile phone Merge Contacts.
Two contacts in the database at the same time, they just marked to be merged. Then you will in a single interface to see them two, you can split them.

Your case is the second.
Dear DWP,

You are absolutely right. In my Christmas 1 group about 80% of the contacts were joined. I checked all the 82 contacts in the group and separated each one which was joined before. I am not sure but I have a feeling it has to do with Microsoft Outlook. Whenever, I wanted to make a new contact, I made it in Microsoft Outlook, by coping and pasting the contact and then changing the details of the copied and pasted contact.

Now, I see the reason why Gmail doesn't allow to copy and paste the contact and change the details.

Best regards,

aladdin.

P.S. I have to go through all my contacts, all 1600 and try to separate them. Big job ahead. :)
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Hi aladdin,

Thanks for the apologies. Of course, you owe your biggest apology to DWP, as I think you have wasted a lot of his very precious time on this!

Whew! What a long and deep experience you have had with PCs and Smart Phones! With all that experience, I think this should have been a "piece of cake" to understand.

Anyway, I'll just say that my first "computers" were CP/M based (with 2 x 8" floppy drives, built the [Z80] processor board myself), some good while before the IBM PC came out. Before(?) that I also spent a lot of time learning on a Motorala 6809 based "suitcase computer" which displayed monochrome on a TV screen. I think it was 20 columns, from distant memory. I also had (still have, somewhere) a Zilog Z80-based MPU Development kit, which had a 2-digit, 7-segment display and a Hex keypad. Man, that was hard work! Also spent some time on Commodore 64's - mostly repairs - even wrote a C64 BASIC program to solve a newspaper word puzzle, and was able to prove to the newspaper that their puzzle was actually impossible to solve. The program ran for around 24 hours before it gave the "answers". Also did a lot of chip level repair of 6502, 8088, 6802 and 6809 -based video games boards - almost always without any Logic Diagrams.

Of course, the answer to this thread is still basically the one I offered in my very first reply. Never mind.

If you'd like, I can also offer you the benefit of my Smart Phone Contact List repair experience. I suspect that your Contact List has a huge number of duplicates (maybe 80%), probably due to changing phones and resynching with Google contacts. I'm not an expert on that, but how it happened doesn't really help solve it.

If it's the case that you have many duplicates, I could probably eliminate most of those in about 10 minutes. Please let me know if you want more info.

Cheers,
Al
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

AlCan wrote:Hi aladdin,
Thanks for the apologies. Of course, you owe your biggest apology to DWP, as I think you have wasted a lot of his very precious time on this!

Whew! What a long and deep experience you have had with PCs and Smart Phones! With all that experience, I think this should have been a "piece of cake" to understand.

If you'd like, I can also offer you the benefit of my Smart Phone Contact List repair experience. I suspect that your Contact List has a huge number of duplicates (maybe 80%), probably due to changing phones and resynching with Google contacts. I'm not an expert on that, but how it happened doesn't really help solve it.
Al
No, I don't have any duplicate contacts. Zilch. Nadda. As I periodically clean my contacts and update them.

I have found out that it merges two contacts as follows:

1. Channa
2. Channa's Mom

The above two were merged in DWP app until I physically separated them in my Android phone. I don't know if they were merged in the stock (default) Contacts and Phone or not, as I cannot check in it as it doesn't have the facility to merge and separate contacts. I still strongly believe that DWP has a bug and it merges them. But this thread has been hijacked so we cannot investigate further. The problem seems to be with Android OS.

However, I didn't have problem with the following OS.

1. Windows OS
2. iPhone and iPad OS (BTW, I still have my iPad and it shows 1600 contacts).

I didn't have to apologize to anyone, but I was being kind. The one who needed to apologize is YOU with crappy comments like "Prozac", "ignorance is bliss" and so forth. You have basically hijacked this forum so no meaningful discussion can continue. Neither you are the developer of this app, nor the administrator of the forum, nor you represent DWP and his app.

It is good for this app that you back off and let DWP do his job.

In conclusion, I still believe that DWP is the culprit but unfortunately you will not let any meaningful discussion to continue.
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

Dear DWP,

Since we last discussed, I have added 4 more contacts, therefore my "all contacts" is now 1604 and not 1600.

I am now looking at my iPad 2, and it shows correctly all groups. So, the problem lies with Android OS, and more specifically to DWP app.

Here is how my iPad shows:

All contacts: 1604
Christmas 0: 240
Christmas 1: 80
Christmas 2: 80
Christmas 3: 80

I have reduced 2 contacts from each Christmas 1, Christmas 2 and Christmas 3 groups and thus now a total of 240. I can take a picture of my iPad and email it to you, if you so desire.

Best regards,

aladdin.
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Hi aladdin!

Heeheee! Nice bit of trolling! :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

AlCan wrote:Hi aladdin!

Heeheee! Nice bit of trolling! :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
Dear DWP,

Since my above post, I have deleted 1 contact from my Google Gmail account, so now I have exactly 1603 contacts.

I have now uninstalled your app DWP. And, from the Google Play I have installed an app called, "Contacts +" It shows exactly 1603 contact in "all contacts" group just like my Google Gmail account.

I have taken the screenshot, and if you want me I can email you the screenshot.

Please let me know if you want me to email you the screenshot.

Best regards,

aladdin.
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Dear aladdin
First of all, I have to say.
DWC will not automatically merge any contact, I did not write this code.
As you can see, so DWC display the same the contacts count and Gmail is no sense.
Important thing is that you can see all the contacts in the contact list.
This has been confirmed, even though the stock contacts you can not see all the contacts, they are merged.
Now the only solution to the problem is to find the contacts have been merged, then separate them.
If you think the DWC have BUG on this issue.
Please be specific and simple instructions, where DWC needs to be corrected.
Please excuse my bad English.
aladdin

Post by aladdin »

First of all, I have to say.
DWC will not automatically merge any contact, I did not write this code.
As you can see, so DWC display the same the contacts count and Gmail is no sense.
Important thing is that you can see all the contacts in the contact list.
This has been confirmed, even though the stock contacts you can not see all the contacts, they are merged.
Now the only solution to the problem is to find the contacts have been merged, then separate them.
If you think the DWC have BUG on this issue.
Please be specific and simple instructions, where DWC needs to be corrected.
Please excuse my bad English.
Dear DWP,

It is not confirmed that all my contacts are being displaced in DWP. When I did the test you asked with the stock (default) Contact and Phone, at the time DWP was installed and it could be that DWP had influence on the stock (default) Contact and Phone. Please think about it.

Best regards,
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

If you do not think so. Please uninstall DWC.And clear phone contacts.Re-sync contacts from Gmail account.I want to completely solve the problem.At the same time, I can refund.I do not want to waste my and your time.I do not want to debate. :(