DW Contacts battery drain

Moderators: dwp, devin

gufy78

DW Contacts battery drain

Post by gufy78 »

Hi All

I have noticed a strange thing on my HTC One X+ today.

I was checking all my mail boxes and other websites as
every morning, routine 20 browsing and writing a few messages and my handset became unusual worm like never before. this started worrying me.

when I checked battery usage it went down from 89% to 55% within half an hour!!! Closed look revealed DWC use at 44%???

is there something malfunctioned in DWC?
perhaps there is something in settings I need to turn off.

please help.

THANKS
dwp
Site Admin

Re: DW Contacts battery drain

Post by dwp »

Hi
Try close those settings :
Global settings -> resideis in memory
Background service settings -> Enable background data loading
Robbit

Post by Robbit »

I have the same issue sometimes: From time to time, about once a day, the DW Kontakte & Telefon Pro is causing full CPU performance for a couple of minutes (up to half an hour). This doesn't seem to depend on the "Resides in memory" or the "Background data loading" settings. And nevertheless these settings are indispensable for a quick response on this most important app on the phone.
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

If during this time you sync contacts? When another application to modify the contact database. dwc will be notified. Then DWC will reload contacts in the background. If these settings are turned on.
Robbit

Post by Robbit »

Hi dwp,

no, this happens independently from a manual contacts sync and more often than it is done automatically. There must be another reason for that behaviour...

Bye
-R.
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Hi Robbit,

I also experience occasional 100% CPU usage on my phone, but have never been able to prove that DWC was the cause. I'm on Froyo 2.2.2 and it doesn't have good App monitoring and reporting. I can have 100% CPU, but nothing shows as using all that CPU. (I also have a phone with Jelly Bean, but I hate it so much that I don't use it and don't use DWP on it either. Jelly Bean is SOOOO disappointing, after 2.2.2... The phone is much faster and nicer to look at, but I hate so many of the stupid, backward JB changes that I won't use it.)

Anyway, I have found that 100% CPU problems almost always (99% of the time), happen after using Google Maps or Navigation. They seem to be the problem in my case.

Which version of Android are you using?

Regards,
Al
Currently (i.e Now, not necessarily the date of this post)
using DW Contacts & Dialer version 2.5.3.0-pro
On Motorola Defy with Android 2.2.2 (Work Phone)
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Hi Robbit,
The battery manager, you see quite a lot of power DWC use it?

Thank you AI
Robbit

Post by Robbit »

Hi AlCan,
hi dwp,

I'm on Android 2.3.5. The tool for CPU usage is SystemPanel.

In the battery manager the DWC consumption is a bit higher, but not at extreme values. But during the CPU usage the whole device is rather slow.

Bye
-Robbit.
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Hi Robbit,
Robbit wrote:
I'm on Android 2.3.5. The tool for CPU usage is SystemPanel.
But during the CPU usage the whole device is rather slow.
Is SystemPanel a 3rd party App? I've looked on Google Play - there are two, but neither looks very good... Can you point me in the right direction, please?

Yeah, when my phone is running 100% CPU, sometimes it never "comes back" even to the Power Button and I have to Battery Pull to Reboot...

But I can't say I can blame DWP for any of these. As I say, Maps and Nav. usually cause me the major problems.

Cheers,
Al
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Just to add a little more to this...

I have been running DWC&P since before I joined the forum.

As a Sales Rep, I live by my phone - Voice calls, Photos, Txt, E-mail, Web and Maps are my main uses. I usually run DWC 24x7. I just leave it running, day and night. I use it all the time for business. I hardly ever use the Stock app (really only in relation to linked profiles), and now don't really even know what it's for, it's so primitive.

A long time ago, I had a few DWP crashes, but haven't had any for many months.

Of course, my phone locks up now and then, or starts running 100% CPU and needs to be rebooted. I'm sure this is most often caused my Maps or Navigation, but apart from those times, my battery life is usually fine. Last night, with DWC running all night, I had 90% battery this morning. I have no issues with it.

These days, DWC is very stable and well behaved.

The only thing I can say I've had a problem with is that very occasionally, when I click on a contact in a list, it looks up a different contact. At that point, I decide it's time to reboot my phone...

Apart from that, and a few things I'd like to see added or changed, it's an absolutely awesome app. By comparison, even Google Contacts is still in kindergarten (pre-school). But it's a useful real time Backup, and for that Gcontacts is great too.
Robbit

Post by Robbit »

Hi Al,

sorry for the late reply... I agree with you: DWC is a needful and indispensable app.

But, regarding to this threads initial issue: I meanwhile have a Galaxy S4 Mini and there I also have this problem: From time to time DWC eats up the power of both CPUs and causes a heavy entry in the battery consuption list. I repeat: I do not sync my contacs with anything (as Google downsizes the contact images to a ridiculuous pixel mesh).

This is very annoying. Still.

Bye
-Robbit.

P. S.: The "SystemPanel" tool I was mentioning is this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... anel&hl=de, and I want to make it clear, that the problem described here is not only indicated by any tool or "system improving app" or anything like this. The issue is simply detectable by the stock funcitions like the power consumer list.