Nested groups: apply actions recursively on sub-groups?

Moderators: dwp, devin

nick

Nested groups: apply actions recursively on sub-groups?

Post by nick »

I have a system of hierarchical/nested groups with about 3-5 levels and a lot of contacts rearranging them often (created by syncing Outlook Categories devided by a point "." to my android device) like this:
Clients.X.Y.Z.contacts
Clients.A.B.C.contacts
private.d.e.f
service.a.b.c
...and many more ...

They are "merged" on my android device.

I'd like to be able to long-press, for example, on "Clients" selecting it and applying actions from the context menu recursively to all sub-groups and all contacts within the group hierachy of "Clients" like "assign a ring tone" or simply delete "Clients" and all of its sub-groups (with the contacts in all of them).

To my opinion implementing this would mean fully supporting hierarchical groups in the real sense. What do you think?
devin

Re: Nested groups: apply actions recursively on sub-groups?

Post by devin »

Hello
It now works like this, except to delete the group.
nick

Post by nick »

Hmm...,well, it does not seem extactly so:
- On my galaxy note 8.0 (android 4.2.2) i have only 3 entries in the context menu when long-pressing a nested group like the "clients" above: show history, send sms/mms, send email.
- On my phone with android 4.1.2 no context menu at all appears by long-pressing on a nested group.

Be aware that the first/root group "clients" has no contacts assigned to it, the group "clients" contains only sub-groups.
devin

Post by devin »

Hello
I think you have with the group "clients.x".
But no group of "clients".
This situation "clients" of the long press menu does not display the full menu.
Create another group called "clients", can be resolved.
nick

Post by nick »

To take your example: i have a group called clients.x
It appears o my phone as nested group:
clinets > x (i see first only the group clients, when i press on clients then x appears as a sub-group)

When i now long-press on clients i get a context menu, but in that context menu there is no entry "set ring for selected group".
devin

Post by devin »

Hello
Yes, if you create a group of "clients". Avoid this problem. If you just need to "set ring for group" I can add. But for the "Add a contact to the group," There is no goal. Unless, we automatically create group "clients" in the implementation of this order.