Contacts suddenly multiplied

Moderators: dwp, devin

Marcelup

Contacts suddenly multiplied

Post by Marcelup »

I have more then 2.000 contacts and they use to perfectly sync between my gmail account and my Android.

Since yesterday many of my contacts multiply from one single register to each one to up to eight register to a single one (the number varies from one contact to another).

There are my Gmail synchronized contacts with all information, Skype contacts, WhatsApp, contacts and in some cases different group contacts.

I started trying to merge all this information but it would take a long time to me to do that and in some cases some of the contacts seems to merge but keep showing separately in the contacts list.

I tried to erase the group contacts but I am informed the the software can only hide his information but actually it does not hide it.

I hope someone could help ASAP because it is difficult now to call everybody while I have to test contact by contact to identify which one has the contact's name from the other with Skype, WhatsApp and Group information.
devin

Re: Contacts suddenly multiplied

Post by devin »

Hello, you can try to clear the contact database. Then synchronize again.
Marcelup

Post by Marcelup »

Hi Devin,

Thanks for your help.

As I use an Android smartphone, in order to clear my contact list in my device as you told me to I erased my Goggle account and all contacts disappeared automatically. After few minutes I registered the same Google account again - the one were I keep all my contacts information - and synchronized the information. Unfortunately the same problem was back.

One of the advantages offered by DW Contacts and other similar software is the possibility to put together all your Gmail contacts information with Skype and WhatsApp contacts information. In my case, I would give up all extra information like group assignment per contact, WhatsApp and Skype because this is clearly causing the problem I am facing. Another problem is that someone chose a kink name for his/her WhatsApp or Skype profile and if I try to merge this person different contacts this kink name sometimes becomes the one to show and I cannot edit it.

So, I would like keep only my Gmail contact information and eliminate Group, WhatsApp and Skype information from my contact list.

Could you help me?
devin

Post by devin »

Hello
If you just do not see the need to WhatsApp and Skype contacts. You can do it at : Global settings ~ Account data
Marcelup

Post by Marcelup »

Dear Devin,

That was exactly what I needed.

As I told reported before I tried to merge Gmail, Skype, WhatsApp, Waze, etc. contacts but in most of the cases I lost the control about the names that showed to each contact and in some cases the name showed was certainly not adequate.

Other point is that sometimes some contacts refused to merge.

I downloaded one software and was erasing the contacts I did not want to show but now this is no more necessary.

Many thanks!

Marcelup
devin

Post by devin »

You are welcome!