Backup & Restore.

Moderators: dwp, devin

pollensa1946

Backup & Restore.

Post by pollensa1946 »

Some of my contacts got messed up. Nothing to do with DW, I was working on a common dbase, merging contacts in two accounts into one, in my PC Chrome GMail a/c from which I sync two phones, each with a different view of the contacts. I use the Contact Display Filtering for this. Excellent facility. All working fine now.
Anyway, I lost 24 contacts and my only backup was the GMail Contacts CSV file I had made. This clearly does not contain photo encoding as I ended up with those 24 contacts reverted to the stock Android blank photo icon. Aside from the fact that the GMail restore, by default, no choice, created a duplicate for all the other contacts which were not lost. I then had to go in and delete all these duplicates. Between the missing photos and duplicates a screw-up which required some hours work to correct.
So my questions are these...
1) The backup created by DW does contain photo encoding, I can see it in the created backup VCF file.
a) Does DW restore contact photos when invoking a restore using the created backup VCF file?
b) How does it handle contacts which are in both the working file and in the backup. Does it default to creating duplicates same as GMail, or handle them
correctly. That is offer a choice of duplicates, or overwrite those in the working file, or not restore them?
2) In the backup VCF file I cannot see any photo encoding for GROUP photos. So I assume that GROUP photos are not restored?
If this is the case then can you implement this request...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3638&p=6717#p6717

...ideally a multi-select option so that all GROUP photos can be exported in one request, each one labelled with its group name.
devin

Re: Backup & Restore.

Post by devin »

Hello, now when restoring contacts. It will create a new contact for each contact backup even if the phone has the same contact.
About backing up contact group photos. In vcf standards are not related protocols.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

devin wrote:Hello, now when restoring contacts. It will create a new contact for each contact backup even if the phone has the same contact.
So it creates duplicates same as GMail. Android is not very intelligent in this respect.

Does the restore include the photo?
devin wrote:About backing up contact group photos. In vcf standards are not related protocols.
OK, but it would be good if group photos could be exported, same as individual contact photos are at present.
devin

Post by devin »

Yes, I will try to improve it.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

Thanks.

I still have the question... Does the restore include the contact photo? So the contact info is fully restored?
devin

Post by devin »

Yes include the contact photo.