Contacts details JOINED into one, why?

Moderators: dwp, devin

pollensa1946

Contacts details JOINED into one, why?

Post by pollensa1946 »

I thought I had lost 9 Contact details, in fact they had been JOINED into those of a tenth one. This caused some really strange effects, such as Contacts that did not belong to a Group appearing in that Group, while others that did belong had disappeared. Caused complete confusion for a while until I realised, using the Contact Details editor on one of the Contacts not belonging to a Group, what had happened. The editor showed that this one Contact in fact contained the details for a total of ten Contacts. I used your excellent SEPARATE feature which restored them.
1) Any idea how this joining together happens?
2) Is there some way that a Contact which has had other Contact Details JOINED to it can be shown in the display? Maybe a Group that is titled "Joined Contacts".
Or an Option "Display JOINED Contacts".
devin

Re: Contacts details JOINED into one, why?

Post by devin »

Thank you for your suggestion. Please try it.
Adding an automatic group.
http://www.dw-p.net/dl/DW-Contacts-Phone-test.apk
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

I see a new Automatic Group "Merged Contacts", but when selected it displayed every contact that I have. I know that none of them are currently Merged/Joined. As confirmation, in none of them can you find the "Separate" option.
I then tested by selecting 2 contacts and JOINED them, went back to the "Merged Contacts" Group and when selected it correctly displayed the one contact containing the two I had JOINED. I SEPARATED that contact and now the "Merged Contacts" Group again displayed every contact.
So it works correctly when there does exist JOINED/MERGED contacts, but incorrectly displays every contact when no JOINED/MERGED exist.
devin

Post by devin »

Thank you! I have to fix it.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

New "Merged Contacts" Group now works perfectly. Thanks.
I do notice that with Group Count set on that no count is shown against that group. So if 2 contacts are joined and Merged Contacts contains 1 entry then the count against the group is blank, which is not as expected. It does mean that at a glance you might assume the group had no entries, you have to open the group to check if that is true.
devin

Post by devin »

Hello
I did not count the number of "Merged Contacts", which is time-consuming. Other groups are the same. Therefore, we recommend closing group number appears in the list.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

devin wrote:...I did not count the number of "Merged Contacts", which is time-consuming...
On my Moto G the performance difference between Group Count ON or OFF is not noticeable in actual use. The important thing is that the count is valuable when trouble-shooting a problem, such as merged contacts. So switch it on to trouble-shoot and then off when you have found the problem being investigated. In that respect it's a valuable tool.
devin

Post by devin »

Hello
When you open a group you can see how many contacts. If you calculate the number of contacts, do not care about the merger, there is no performance issues. But this leads to the display of the number of contacts and open the group to see the number of contacts is different.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

Yes I understand the potential conflict between the Group Count showing a count that differs from the actual number shown in the group, and that to reconcile the two might take too long. The fact there is no count is no big deal. Thanks for adding that group.
devin

Post by devin »

Thank you for your understanding and suggestions!