Numbers in the NOTES section of Contact Details.

Moderators: dwp, devin

pollensa1946

Numbers in the NOTES section of Contact Details.

Post by pollensa1946 »

When Contact Details are displayed, any number string in the NOTES section is highlighted and selectable and if selected initiates the dialer screen. Sometimes these number strings are not phone numbers, they may be account numbers for example. Is there a way that number strings can be entered on the notes section such that they are not selectable, whereas other numbers in the same notes are selectable.

Example using a # symbol in this case...

Notes
-----------
Phone Number: 0123456789 <=== Selectable
Account: #0123456789 <=== Not selectable (the # indicates not selectable)

A strange anomaly is that in the text... 12.15pm to 1.15pm ... 12.15 is selectable but 1.15 is not???
devin

Re: Numbers in the NOTES section of Contact Details.

Post by devin »

Hello
Identification number is done by the system. DWC is not controlled.
I think it recognizes the excessive number, no problem, you do not click on it just fine.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

devin wrote:...Identification number is done by the system. DWC is not controlled....
That's strange, because when I select the stock Android Contacts Display, supplied with my phone (white background), to display contacts, then numbers are not highlighted and not selectable. Whereas when I use the DWP Contacts Display (black background) numbers are highlighted and are selectable. This would suggest that it is DWP that is influencing this.
The reason for my request is that I often insert numbers which are not labelled for security reasons...

0123456789 <=== direct line phone number of my bank, but not labelled for security reasons

9876543210 <=== account number, but not labelled for security reasons

Every number highlighted/selectable just confuses things.

Also the criteria for designating a number as selectable appears to be completely arbitrary, as some numbers which are clearly not phone numbers are highlighted (12.15pm to 1.15pm ... 12.15 is selectable but 1.15 is not???), but others that are phone numbers are not always highlighted. If Android does this is there a published spec for it?
devin

Post by devin »

Hello
This is because the system contacts the software automatically find the link function is not enabled. You can turn off the setting in the DWC.
Contact details > Links in Notes
http://wiki.dw-p.net/DWC:Settings#Links_in_Notes
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

OK, thanks for that pointer to the contact details option. Given that option, I can see that it is Android that is doing this and it's a valuable option to have if Android were consistent in its application instead of the arbitrary way in which it does it presently.
Thanks.

(1) I have discovered that in the case of... "12.15pm to 1.15pm ... 12.15 is selectable but 1.15 is not???" .. that changing it to 12:15pm turns off the highlight/selectable. However, in the case of a phone number/address string like... "01234 987654 - 25 My Street, Anywhere" ...the highlighting is of the three discreet numbers so resulting in three phone numbers 01234, 987654 and 25. Changing it to...
"01234 987 654
25 My Street, Anywhere"... results in the correct phone number being highlighted.

(2) Your "Links in Notes" has a note saying that "street addresses are clickable", none of the street addresses I have entered are clickable.

Android is a little crazy in its application of this feature.
I will follow this up on the appropriate Android forum.
devin

Post by devin »

Hello
This is all based on Android provides. I think perhaps some of the country's number length is 4.
http://developer.android.com/reference/ ... k%28int%29
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

devin wrote:Hello
This is all based on Android provides. I think perhaps some of the country's number length is 4.
http://developer.android.com/reference/ ... k%28int%29
A very complex subject. Determining whether a number string is clickable is essentially try it and see.
Having read through that I now realise that your note...
pollensa1946 wrote:(2) Your "Links in Notes" has a note saying that "street addresses are clickable", none of the street addresses I have entered are clickable.
...should read MAP addresses are clickable, which explains why my street addresses are not clickable.

Thanks for your help on this.
devin

Post by devin »

Hi
"street addresses are clickable"
This feature is described in the Android API.
I just tested it on my phone does not work.