Using Dialing Confirmation in the car.

Moderators: dwp, devin

pollensa1946

Using Dialing Confirmation in the car.

Post by pollensa1946 »

(1) I have Dialing Confirmation ticked.
(2) Automatic Confirmation Delay set to 5 secs.
(3) Disable in Car Mode ticked.
Everything works OK out of the car. In the car I would expect that the Dialing Confirmation (1) is completely disabled and the call goes ahead without being confirmed. What in fact happens is the Confirmation Delay (2) is disabled and the Dialing Confirmation popup appears on the phone and waits for confirmation. Since no confirmation is given eventually the call times out and fails. If I untick Disable in Car Mode (3) then the call goes ahead without confirmation. Everything works OK.
This seems the opposite of what you would expect with Disable in Car Mode given your note alongside it... "Temporarily disable the Dialing confirmation, when you (are) in the car". So the feature works OK but the description of it in your note is confusing and wrong.
devin

Re: Using Dialing Confirmation in the car.

Post by devin »

Hello
Sorry I'm bad English, I do not understand all.
It was designed to:
When you select 3) Disable in Car Mode ticked.
And in the car, dialing confirmation feature will be turned off. Dial-up will occur immediately.
Now it will not work like this?
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

devin wrote:...It was designed to:
When you select 3) Disable in Car Mode ticked.
And in the car, dialing confirmation feature will be turned off. Dial-up will occur immediately.
Now it will not work like this?
Correct, on my Moto G it does not work. After a lot of testing I found this...

(2) Automatic Confirmation Delay set to 5 secs.
With these settings I get a 5 secs countdown window and then the call proceeds OK. Changing Disable in Car Mode to unticked makes no difference to this, you still get the countdown window and then the call proceeds OK.

(2) Automatic Confirmation Delay set to disabled.
With these settings the Dialing Confirmation (without countdown) window pops up and the call fails after a few secs. Disable in Car Mode unticked makes no difference to this.

So I can get it to work with a countdown set, but not at all with the countdown disabled and Disable in Car Mode ticked or unticked makes no difference to this.
My results in my first post were complicated by the fact that the BT SmartTalk app was running alongside DWP and causing problems. I have fixed that and the results I am getting are now consistent.
devin

Post by devin »

Hello
If the auto-dial delay disabled, you will need to click the Dial button "dialing confirmation dialog" box to start dialing.
Dialog box will be displayed until you deal with it.
Now problem is that the dialog automatically close?
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

devin wrote:...If the auto-dial delay disabled, you will need to click the Dial button "dialing confirmation dialog" box to start dialing.
Dialog box will be displayed until you deal with it...
This does not make sense when in the car. The "Disable in car mode" option was introduced to remove the confirmation popup when using the phone in the car.
devin wrote:...Now problem is that the dialog automatically close?
Yes. Under these settings...
...the Dialing Confirmation (without countdown) window pops up and then automatically closes after a few secs and the call is terminated. Disable in Car Mode unticked makes no difference to this.

So the only way that it works in the car is to have a Confirmation Delay of n secs set, regardless of how "Disable in car mode" is set. So if I want to disable Confirmation Delay, for using the phone out of the car, and want to use the phone in the car, then it will not work in the car unless I change to a Confirmation Delay of n secs. So the "Disable in car mode" setting does not work.
devin

Post by devin »

Strange behavior. Perhaps interference by other programs.
It works like this on my phone.
if in Car Mode: Dialing Confirmation is disabled. You will not see Dialing Confirmation dialog box, dial immediately.
if not in Car Mode: Dialing Confirmation dialog box is displayed until you click the Dial button, dial execution.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

devin wrote:...Perhaps interference by other programs...
Could be, and I suspect BT SmartTalk (ST). What I observe happening is that simply using the DW Phone dialer in Bluetooth mode causes the ST process to be initiated in the background, even although it is not actually being used in this instance (I have the Dialing Defaults options in ST Settings all unticked). Why this is happening is beyond my understanding of Android.
Since ST is important to me I will just have to run with the Confirmation Delay set to n secs.
Thanks.
devin

Post by devin »

OK, You are welcome!
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

I don't just suspect BT SmartTalk (ST) of causing problems with DWP when used in the car, further testing has confirmed that. ST can exist happily alongside DWP on the phone as long as the ST Settings feature "Dialling Defaults" (there's 3 boxes) are left un-ticked. This means that to use ST to route calls over the internet you must use ST as your dialler and not initiate the calls from within DWP. So DWP for mobile network calls and ST for internet calls, everything works OK. They definitely do not work together if you are planning to use DWP with Bluetooth in the car.
devin

Post by devin »

Hello
Sorry I'm bad English, I could not understand.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

In summary... no problem with DWP, but BT SmartTalk is a problem when you try to use it together with DWP in Bluetooth mode.