New contact not saved in Android native contact database

Moderators: dwp, devin

isnogoud

New contact not saved in Android native contact database

Post by isnogoud »

Hello,

After buying the Pro version, I've imported my contact list in DWP. No problem.
Then, I've added new contacts using DWP instead of the native Android contact application.
I can see these new contact in DWP but I cannot see them in the native Android contact application.
Thus, when my phone is connecting to my car through Bluetooth, these new contacts are not sent by the phone to the car. The phone is sending the native Android contact database only.
So, how to make DWP save new contact in native Android contact database ?
Thanks.
pollensa1946

Re: New contact not saved in Android native contact database

Post by pollensa1946 »

DWP does not have its own built-in Contact Editor and therefore you cannot add new contacts using DWP. DWP as currently implemented simply calls up the native Android application for this purpose. So that raises the question how are you adding these new contacts using DWP?
I have the Pro version and I also use my phone in the car with BT, initially I experienced a similar problem to yours in that the car BT interface was seeing the contacts resident on the SIM card. Deleting all SIM resident contacts fixed the issue.
Overall I suspect your problem is the native application you are using is storing contacts on the SIM rather than in storage which is where DWP (via the phone's in-built contact editor) stores them.
isnogoud

Post by isnogoud »

pollensa1946 wrote:DWP does not have its own built-in Contact Editor and therefore you cannot add new contacts using DWP.
It seems you didn't take time to learn how to use DWP.
There is a contact editor called using the "+" button at the top of the contact list HMI.
I've no contact stored in the SIM, only in the phone memory.
So, my issue is still open.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

isnogoud wrote:
pollensa1946 wrote:DWP does not have its own built-in Contact Editor and therefore you cannot add new contacts using DWP.
It seems you didn't take time to learn how to use DWP.
There is a contact editor called using the "+" button at the top of the contact list HMI.
I've no contact stored in the SIM, only in the phone memory.
So, my issue is still open.
I suggest, no I insist, it is you who do not understand DWP. That button simply calls up the built-in Android stock Contact Editor. DWP DOES NOT have a Contact Editor. I agree your issue is still open, I hope you find a solution. Good luck.
isnogoud

Post by isnogoud »

Ok...
So, please explain why the new contact is displayed in DWP after adding it via DWP and is not displayed in native Android contact application.
Thank you.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

isnogoud wrote:Ok...
So, please explain why the new contact is displayed in DWP after adding it via DWP and is not displayed in native Android contact application.
Thank you.
If you explain what phone you are using and whether it is pure stock Android, or has a manufacturer specific user interface imposed on top of Android, then that might get you some answers.

Meanwhile... do you have more than one gmail account set on your phone? If you have are you certain that both applications, DWP and the native application, are set to look at the same account info? For example I have 2 a/c's and can set DWP to look at one set of contacts for a/c A and the native Android app to look at the contacts for a/c B. When I add a new contact in DWP (via the + sign) up pops the native stock Android contact editor (currently the only one that DWP uses). It's a white background with black lettering. At the top is an input field where you define which a/c the contact is to be added to. I set that field to the a/c that DWP is set to show. Check Global Settings/Account Data in DWP for which a/c it is set to. You can set it to show multiple a/c's.

EDIT: I've just looked at one of your other threads and see this... "Sony Xperia M Dual running Cyanogenmod 11"

So you are not running stock native Android? Also you are running dual SIM? If so either might be causing your problem.
isnogoud

Post by isnogoud »

pollensa1946 wrote: EDIT: I've just looked at one of your other threads and see this... "Sony Xperia M Dual running Cyanogenmod 11"

So you are not running stock native Android? Also you are running dual SIM? If so either might be causing your problem.
CM11 contact application is the native Android 4.4 one.
Despite there are two SIMs in the phone, no contact are stored in them. Only in phone memory.
No contact is sync with any gmail account or other kind of external account. (Privacy policy).
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

You're not running native stock Android so I can't help you any further as I have no knowledge.

If you Google CM11 Contacts then the net is full of people having problems with disappearing contacts.
devin

Post by devin »

Hello isnogoud
Like pollensa1946 said, DW will not save Contacts themselves. All contacts stored in the system database.
One option may affect the contact's display.
DWC:Settings - Global settings - Contact display filtering
You need to add a new contact to a set group display.

If this does not work, check the stock contacts software settings.
isnogoud

Post by isnogoud »

Well, I finally sorted out this issue.
When I add a new contact, I always add the kind of phone number just after the contact name.
i.e : if the contact name is "Smith" and the phone number is the office one, I enter "Smith Office" as contact name.
Doing that, DWP is considering that "Smith" is the first name and "Office" the familly name.
So, the new contact does not appear in the contact list at "S" letter but at "O" letter.
To add a new contact this way, I first have to display all contact fields (Title, first name, etc) and to enter the name in the familly name field. This way, the new contact appears at the right letter.
Thank tou for your help.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

You can configure DWP as to how exactly you want contact names sorted/displayed. In the Contact List select Options bar then Sort Order.