WhatsApp Group.

Moderators: dwp, devin

pollensa1946

WhatsApp Group.

Post by pollensa1946 »

After installing WhatsApp on my phone I saw that there was now a new WhatsApp Group shown in DWP. Aside from this being a useful list of those DWP contacts that have also installed WhatsApp, is there any actual function related to WhatsApp that can be performed with this group? For example, on long press of the contact number is it possible that "call using" could be modified to include using WhatsApp to call the number? Or that a text selection could be routed to WhatsApp? So instead of looking at this group...
1) seeing that a contact is on WhatsApp
2) then exiting DWP
3) and going to WhatsApp to complete the action, call or text
...that a selection within DWP would route you direct to WhatsApp.
devin

Re: WhatsApp Group.

Post by devin »

When you open this contact, you can see the social networking section. Click on the number you can switch to WhatsAPP.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

That's strange because I don't see any Social Networking section, other than Google+, on any of these contacts. Just the normal contact details that I see on all contacts in DWP. When I open in the contact details editor I see a section at the bottom that relates to WhatsApp, but this section does not appear in the normal Contact Display.

EDIT: Ah, OK, found the answer. You have to go into Global Settings/Account Data and turn on display of the WhatsApp account. Now I can access WhatsApp direct from the Contact Display.
devin

Post by devin »

Yes, because some users do not want to see them. So I let Account option controls it.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

I had a serious sync problem (again!) with Google which caused me to delete all my Contacts and then import them from my backup VCF file which I had previously saved by using the DWP export to storage feature. Everything is good again except that the Social Networking section is missing from the Contact Details of all of the Contacts. How do I get this section to display again?
devin

Post by devin »

Resynchronization WhatsApp contacts, or uninstall it reinstalled.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

I discovered that Google+ Sync was turned OFF in my account. On correcting that the Social Network (Connections) section was restored to the Contact Details. However, that section has no information other than Google+.
Resync of the WhatsApp Contacts has no effect on the Social Network section of Contact Details. I am not happy to uninstall/reinstall WhatsApp so meanwhile I can do without WhatsApp information in the Social Network section. In the longer term is there some way you could recreate/sync this info using DWP code?
devin

Post by devin »

This requires social networking contacts and Google contacts to establish a link. This is a synchronization program to accomplish.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

I'm happy to report that after some research on Google I uninstalled/reinstalled WhatsApp and all my WhatsApp contacts are restored to DWP. All my WhatsApp settings and chats were preserved. No problems.
devin

Post by devin »

;)