Contact Display Filtering?

Moderators: dwp, devin

dvhttn

Contact Display Filtering?

Post by dvhttn »

Hmm. Probably just being thick, but nothing seems to appear when I go to Global Settings > Contact Display Filtering. I want to be able to 'hide' one particular contact group but all I get in the window is the title 'Chhose contacts to display' and at the bottom of the window 'Done' and 'Cancel'.

Running a 5.0.1 GPE ROM on my Galaxy S4. Here's to something simple ..... :oops:
Dave
Carpe diem .....
pollensa1946

Re: Contact Display Filtering?

Post by pollensa1946 »

On the first screen you should see the account (or accounts) you have on the phone, for example... [email protected]
After selecting the account you should see a screen showing the contact groups you have, with tick-boxes alongside.
If you are not seeing the account(s) then are they ticked in Global Settings/Account Data? If they are and they are not displayed in the first screen of Contact Display Filtering then something is very strange.
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

Nope, don't see that. The item above in the list (Account data), lets me select the appropriate account and then displays it correctly. And all my contacts from that account are displayed but CDF is just blank.

I went to (System) Manage apps and did a 'delete cache' (for the DW Contacts app). That had no effect. Went into Manage apps again and tried a 'delete data' as well but still no effect. At a loss now. Are there any other settings that could affect what CDF displays?

Thanks.
Last edited by dvhttn on Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Carpe diem .....
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

If the first screen of CDF is blank Then I'm lost for an explanation. Input from Devin required I think.
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

Still blank. Tried uninstalling the app and re-installing from the Play Store - still the same. Aaaarrrggghhhhhhhhh ..........
Dave
Carpe diem .....
devin

Post by devin »

do you use last ver 2.9.4.1?
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

devin wrote:do you use last ver 2.9.4.1?
Yes - just downloaded it for a re-install today (Sunday) as mentioned above.
Dave
Carpe diem .....
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

You can achieve the same objective of hiding a Group by going into the Groups display, selecting Options/Sort & Hide, then un-tick the Group to be hidden.
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

pollensa1946 wrote:You can achieve the same objective of hiding a Group by going into the Groups display, selecting Options/Sort & Hide, then un-tick the Group to be hidden.
That doesn't seem to work either. I go to the 'Toolbox' (grid of dots at the bottom) and select 'groups'. I then deselect everything other than what I want. Going into every group left selected shows that I cannot see my unwanted group. However, if I go back to the main screen and pick 'contacts' at the bottom I can still see every group and their contacts. Seems firstly, that DW's menu settings could be made a lot simpler and secondly, still no joy with getting my unwanted group to NOT be displayed.

Maybe the 'not so intuitive' ettings are getting me confused ...... :?
Dave
Carpe diem .....
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

Ah, yes, I forgot. You can hide the Group from the Group Display but not from the Contacts Display. What you need is CDF working.
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

Hmmm. Figured out what the problem was. Today I noticed another app that seemed to have the same issue as the DWC option above. That is, start the app and nothing is on screen. Luckily this was a wifi app so is easy to check by exposing the phone to different wifi signals. I hadn't noticed it before as the widget for it I use most was fine, it was just the main app that didn't show anything. I reinstalled the ROM and now all is OK and I've managed to get contact filtering working fine!

I'll go over to the ROM thread and ask there ......
Dave
Carpe diem .....
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

OK. More information on this as I've been doing some more testing. Firstly, to set the scene, I sync my contacts from my PC (from Outlook) via the MyPhoneExplorer app to my 'google' account on my phone. However, before I download my contacts for the first time (on a fresh ROM install for example) I turn OFF all 'sync' with the cloud so that any sync'ing of contacts is only between phone and PC via a local wifi connection. So, DW Contracts sees my 'google' account and reads all contacts as per normal. It doesn't know or care where those contacts came from to populate the 'Contacts Storage' area.

Now, as a precaution I also use Titanium Backup (TB) to 'freeze' the 'google contacts sync' software sub-systems. It is this that causes the blank page when I choose 'Contact display filtering'. If I leave it 'unfrozen' then I can use that settings page OK. If I use TB to 'freeze' it then nothing shows up on that page even though I can still see and use all my contacts in the main app. (Though it needs a phone reboot before/after freezing/unfreezing to show the symptoms which didn't help the fault finding!0.

Now, I don't understand why the 'Contact sync' sub-system has to be present to display this page? After all, I have used the Main > System Settings > Account (Google account) > [turn off sync] from the main phone settings to run off all sync activity already. Is this a small 'bug' or does DWC do something that relies on the 'Contacts sync' software/

Thanks.
Dave
Carpe diem .....
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

I have had several major screw-ups of my Contacts by having Google Sync with The Cloud turned permanently ON. So much so that I have it turned OFF except under very controlled circumstances when I am at home using my local wi-fi. I do all my Contact edits via Chrome on my Win PC and sync those to Outlook (one way Google -> Outlook) via the Win pgm GO Contact Sync Mod. I backup using all three, Outlook, Chrome and DWP on the Phone. Using these methods I no longer get the screw ups that Google Cloud inflicts on you occasionally.
With Google Cloud Sync turned OFF (as you have done) I have never had problems with DWP Contacts. I'm guessing all your problems may arise from your use of a custom ROM, as has happened in past posts from other users of custom s/w.
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

pollensa1946 wrote: ... I'm guessing all your problems may arise from your use of a custom ROM, as has happened in past posts from other users of custom s/w.
Nope. Never had a problem with a ROM. In this case it was using TB to 'freeze' the Google Contacts Sync sub-system that causes the problem. Which is why I was asking why DWC actually cared about this.That is, why the DWC app was reliant on the 'Google contact sync' subsystem.

All is fine as long as I just disable the sync in the system settings (of Android).
Dave
Carpe diem .....
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

OK, too early in the morning when I replied, on re-reading I now understand that you're going a little further than me and not simply turning Sync OFF, but disengaging the subsystem code so to speak. So I guess it needs Devin to answer your question as to whether DWP seeing the absence of the sub-system is a problem for the CDF code. It does also raise the question as to why other parts of DWP see the a/c's whereas CDF does not.