problem with Search on Lollipop

Moderators: dwp, devin

markam1955

problem with Search on Lollipop

Post by markam1955 »

I have recently updated my Note 4 to lollipop and I notice that the Search function isn't working as it was earlier.
When I search, the item I am searching for appears highlighted in the particular contact information, but as I have more than 5000 contacts finding what I am looking for is impossible.
Wit earlier versions when I searched, only the contacts with the item I am searching for remain displayed which makes things a whole lot easier.
I suspect this us a setting thing, but I did notice that when I did the upgrade to lollipop it mentioned Contacts being reformatted so was wondering if this could be the problem.
Any help mosteoporosis appreciated.
Thanks. Mark
pollensa1946

Re: problem with Search on Lollipop

Post by pollensa1946 »

When you display the Search input field at top of screen there is a little wheel to the left which is Search Settings...
Search all fields
Search all contacts
Search in Global Address List
...have you set all of these ON?
markam1955

Post by markam1955 »

I have tried all combinations of the three.
Just checked and I have the same issue with Search on my Samsung Galexy 4 running lillipop.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

Have you checked Settings/T9 search settings?

Also in Android/Google Settings/Search & Now/Phone Search.
markam1955

Post by markam1955 »

Yes ... tried that.

Been investigating further and it's all a bit strange.
The search function does function as it should do, but only very occasionally. But when it does work, it only allows one search, then goes back to just highlighting the searched string in the contacts again.

But if I now close the Contacts display, and reopen and close it a few times, the display shows Searching rather than the contacts themselves, and hangs there for quite a while.

At the same time the phone starts getting hot, and the only way to stop it us to reset the phone.

Very odd ... but looks like a bug of some sort ? Perhaps related to the large number of contacts I have ?

Regards Mark
markam1955

Post by markam1955 »

Am I the only one experiencing this problem?
Thanks ...