contacts in multiple contact lists

Moderators: dwp, devin

jlfessler

contacts in multiple contact lists

Post by jlfessler »

How do you delete a contract from one contact list without deleting it from the others?
devin

Re: contacts in multiple contact lists

Post by devin »

contact list refers to a contact group?
jlfessler

Post by jlfessler »

Not to a contract group, such as "my contacts" or a group setup in DW. Sorry, I probably used the wrong term. In my case, I have contracts that show to be in 2 or 3 accounts... a couple of Google accounts and MyLocalAccount. What I want to do is either delete a contract from the two Google accounts but leave it in My Local Account or any combination of those. Turning off the display of specific accounts would also be acceptable, but that does not seem to work.
jlfessler

Post by jlfessler »

Any help? Guidance?
devin

Post by devin »

Hello, I suggest you log in Google to delete contacts on your computer.
jlfessler

Post by jlfessler »

While that is certainly a suggestion, it does not address the real issue. If DW provides a setting to turn off the display of contacts from a given account, perhaps the function should actually work.
devin

Post by devin »

Hello
You mean contacts account filter, it does not work right?
But it works on my phone, how do you judge it did not work.
jlfessler

Post by jlfessler »

Settings->Global settings->Account data shows four accounts, 2 Google, MyLocalAccount and Phone. The only one whose checkbox is checked is MyLocalAccount. Yet contacts from the Google accounts still show in the alphabetic listing.
Further, Settings->Global settings->Contact display filtering only has checks for the groups in MyLocalAccount.
The Google accounts' sync is turned off due at my workaround effort to delete certain ones to keep them from displaying in the list.

I don't really want to delete them and sync'ing would be fine as long as I could toggle the display. The only trick would still be the deleting of a contact from one account without causing its deletion from the other account/s.

Nexus 6, running PureNexus 6.0.1-20160103
devin

Post by devin »

Hello
When you use an account filter, if a contact belongs to multiple accounts. One account is set to display, this contact will be displayed.
When you delete a contact, if you use an account filter. Remove only the contact data from the account currently displayed. (If you need, please delete a contact testing to ensure that it works in your phone)
jlfessler

Post by jlfessler »

I'd agree, if a contact is in an account that is set to display, then it should display. And it does. The difference is that all the contacts display regardless of their owning account's setting of the filter. Presumably, if the filter for an account is NOT checked, then the contents of that account (its contacts) would NOT display. At least that seems to me to be the intuitive behavior. That is not happening. Nor would I expect to see the account icon showing in the contact list for the account whose filter is not checked.

The original issue stands however. When more than one account has the same contact, how can that contact be deleted from one of the accounts but not the other?

Taking your lead, I deleted a contact that appeared in more than one account. It was deleted from both accounts, just as the warning said it would.

The bottom line is that I would like to delete the contacts from both Google accounts (since they are not sync'd, it would only affect the phone lists) and leave only the contacts associated with MyLocalAccount. That does not sound like it should be that hard of a task, and yet...
devin

Post by devin »

If you need to delete contacts from google, does not remove local contacts. You should be set to display only Google contacts, and then use the multi-select mode to delete several contacts to do the test. If local contacts are not deleted. You can delete all contacts by ones.