What kind of contact database interactions happen with DWP?

Moderators: dwp, devin

helgek

What kind of contact database interactions happen with DWP?

Post by helgek »

Hi,

the reason why I need to know how DWP interacts with the Android contacts database is that I'm using Synthesis SyncML synchronisation and I recently experienced a serious synchronisation issue. After I had made a lot of changes on the SyncML server I synced those changes successfully to the Android system. One hour later, when the next automatic sync had been triggered by the SyncML sync client on the Android device, the Android device obviously had rolled back the database to the state that it had been before I had synced the changes coming from the SyncML server. During the automatic sync the Android device then replaced the changed contacts on the SyncML server with the previous/old version of the contacts on the Android device. Synthesis SyncML client has a very detailed log and because of that I could see what had happened.

The only thing that I couldn't find out from the log was why the Android contact database had rolled back to version that actually had been overwritten. From my own software development experience with a java database a couple of years ago I know that one possibility for this could be that the changes during the first sync actually hadn't been flushed permanently to the database file. Instead they could have been saved only in the RAM.

The other possibility that I can think of is that DWP's possible background interaction with the contact database could have been a reason why during the automatic sync the contact database had a differenct version of contacts again (where actually nothing should have happened because their hadn't been any manual changes in the contacts neither on the server nor on the client).

I would very much appreciate to get more insight from you how DWP accesses the Android contact database. Is e.g. DWP holding a copy of the contacts in the contact database and syncing with it in the background? Or isn't there any write access to the contacts of the contact database or only to certain parts (like call logs)?

I like your software a lot and would really like to continue using it. I also don't intend with my question at all to find out if I can blame you for my data loss. It's just very important for me to know how things work in the background so that I can better decide how I set up my contacts administration.

Thank you,
Helge
devin

Re: What kind of contact database interactions happen with DWP?

Post by devin »

Hello
dw contacts just read contact data, usually it does not modify the contact database. When you use the contact editor, dw contacts call system contact editor. So I think this does not matter and dw contacts. Problems may arise in contacts synchronizer.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

Over the past two+ years since adopting DWP-PRO I've had a number of serious sync issues with my contacts. In every case I was able to assure it was a sync problem with Google cloud, which is pretty unstable at times. Nothing to do with DWP. I now switch off syncing contacts until I am at home under carefully controlled conditions and maintain multiple backup copies. Devin is right, look elsewhere.
helgek

Post by helgek »

Sorry guys that I didn't reply to this post. I didn't have notifications turned on. Thanks a lot for the information. In the meanwhile I was able to stabilize the synchronization with the Synthesis SyncML client thanks to the support of the Synthesis developers and a new phone. There were serious database consistency issues with an LG and an Acer Android phone (probably due customizations of the manufacturers) I had before. Now everything works smooth and I'm now also happily using DW Contacts again and I cannot express how much this software stands out to the competition!!