Import contacts to phone memory

Moderators: dwp, devin

slarti76

Import contacts to phone memory

Post by slarti76 »

I tried to import a bunch of contacts exported from my old to my new phone. I wanted them to go to the internal memory (don't like all contacts synced with Google et al.), but when I import, DWP doesn't offer that option. I though "well, just take the stock contacts app for the importing", which offers the option, but it can't handle special characters and other stuff (like default number) from the DWP exports. I also can't import the contacts with DWP to, say, Google (with sync off) and then move them, because DWP doesn't offer that option.
Is there a reason for not being able to import to phone memory or is this a bug? Or am I overlooking something?
devin

Re: Import contacts to phone memory

Post by devin »

Hello
One solution is that you can create a new account has DW contact management. These contacts are not synchronized.
slarti76

Post by slarti76 »

devin wrote:Hello
One solution is that you can create a new account has DW contact management. These contacts are not synchronized.
Thx a lot - I didn't realize that was possible until now.
Am I right, if I turn on sync and these local contacts are synced to the internal memory, then I could sync them to another phone with tools like FolderSync? That would be great, because I could sync things like Custom descriptions for phone numbers, which my current provider (MyKolab) doesn't sync at all...
devin

Post by devin »

Hello
Sorry Now we do not support synchronization.
slarti76

Post by slarti76 »

So it's only some kind of backup?
I tried it out, and when I add a contact to that account, it's "synced" to the storage as VCF file. Manual changes in the VCF file are not synced back into DW contacts. However, changes within DW contacts are also not written to that file. Furthermore, if I delete the file and force sync, it's not recreated.
Is that how it's supposed to be or is that a bug? Are you planning to add "real" syncing?
What I also noticed is that the VCF differs from the ones created by the backup/export functionality: Notes and Groups were missing.
devin

Post by devin »

Thanks, I'll check.