Choosing between SMS and Whatsapp

Moderators: dwp, devin

therobbot

Choosing between SMS and Whatsapp

Post by therobbot »

Hi,

on my old phone (Android 4.2) I could choose between SMS and Whatsapp everytime I wrote a message (by choosing "only once"). On my new phone (Android 5.1) this does not work anymore since the SMS app sets itself as default after a while. Is there a possibility to choose between SMS an Whatsapp from within DWP? Or could you maybe make Whatsapp a separate action like Email?

Thanks,

Tobias
devin

Re: Choosing between SMS and Whatsapp

Post by devin »

Hello
You can hold down the "SMS button" under the contact list.
therobbot

Post by therobbot »

Ah, thanks. And that's a pro feature, right?
therobbot

Post by therobbot »

Is it also possible to use it the other way round? I'd like to use short tap to choose or for WhatsApp and long press for SMS since I use this less often.

Short tap for WhatsApp and long tap to choose would be OK as well.
devin

Post by devin »

Hello there
You need to set WhatsApp as the default SMS program. Click on the action will automatically call the system default program. Long press to display all available programs.
therobbot

Post by therobbot »

That doesn't work for me as Google messenger will reset it once I use it again. Also, wouldn't it mean that SMS notifications wouldn't work right anymore?
devin

Post by devin »

That is the default messaging program, it has the responsibility to provide notification.
therobbot

Post by therobbot »

In any case, setting WhatsApp as the default SMS program doesn't work. But it's OK. I can make do with how it is. I would have preferred to be able to choose the application when short clicking but it's not a deal breaker for me.
therobbot

Post by therobbot »

I just checked again. WhatsApp is shown in the list when I click on the SMS button in your app before a default SMS app is set. But it's not possible to select WhatsApp as default SMS app in system settings. This makes sense, too, since WhatsApp doesn't handle SMS at all. So I guess I just have to accept this.
devin

Post by devin »

Hello
I would consider if we need customization we need a separate system for the default program management steps. However, and may cause the user to be confused when he needs to modify the default program.
therobbot

Post by therobbot »

I didn't quite understand this. But you don't have to implement this if it is complicated. At the moment I just click the contact to show the details and than choose WhatsApp there. Sure, one less step would be nice. But it's also OK like this. :)