When, and why, did the group to sub-group separation character change

Moderators: dwp, devin

Virbius

When, and why, did the group to sub-group separation character change

Post by Virbius »

When, and why, did the group to sub-group separation character change, from "." (period) to "/" (forward slash)?

I've used this facility to organise all my (3000+) contacts into a sensible and logical Group and Sub-Group structure using the "." as the separator (as supported by DW-Contacts for many years. Last weekend on a new phone I went through adding Group Profile Photos, and for every Group entry I changed the "." got changed to "/". As I only added about a dozen or so photos to the over 200 groups & sub-groups I have it's quite annoying that for just these ones the separator has changed. (Had to change them all back via the web browser interface to my GMail account.)

I'm not, in principle, against having the separator changed, or better user defined, but not out of the blue without any warning!

Is there a setting, of an entry in a (hidden) file, that can be tweaked so that I can revert to using the "." (period) again?
Richard
User of DW Contacts & Phone Pro (latest version)
devin

Re: When, and why, did the group to sub-group separation character change

Post by devin »

Hello, in the new version it supports both splitters. I'm sorry I did not understand what the impact on you was.
Virbius

Post by Virbius »

devin wrote:Hello, in the new version it supports both splitters. I'm sorry I did not understand what the impact on you was.
First, didn't know both the "." and "/" splitters are now supported.

Second, and mainly, it was that the splitter I had been using was changed when I edited the definition of the Contacts Group (by adding an image in my case). This meant that, at least, back on my PC's web browser when I was looking at my GMail Contacts the Groups with the changed splitter were now out of order with those groups with the original splitter.

e.g.
Meetup.FirstGroup
Meetup.SecondGroup
Meetup.ThirdGroup
became
Meetup.FirstGroup
Meetup.ThirdGroup
Meetup/SecondGroup

My acceptable solutions to this problem with the Android app DW Contacts are:
a) when editing a Group in the Android app the splitter already in use stays the same, or
b) if there was a way in the Android app to define the users prefered splitter.

The reason I want a solution is that I have 368 Groups in my Contacts list, and 271 of them contain splitters, including some to a second split level, and I want to stick with the "." period splitter without some being changed by the Android app to something different.

Thanks
Richard
devin

Post by devin »

Understand that the new split symbol leads to the sorting exception, but I do not want to have too many options. Maybe I can do a tool to modify all the split symbols at once.
Virbius

Post by Virbius »

Alternatively, just leave the splitter symbol with what the user has already chosen for this particular GMail Group name. We don't all do all our work purely through the mobile phone app. In fact I do most of my maintenance via a proper web browser on a PC (Windows or Ubuntu). It's only, really, the adding of Group photos that I do on the phone, other, of course, than making calls etc.
Last edited by Virbius on Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
devin

Post by devin »

Thank you, I will consider
Virbius

Post by Virbius »

devin wrote:Thank you, I will consider
Thanks
Richard