[Not needed]Export pictures->solved with function "duplicate

Moderators: dwp, devin

davidt

[Not needed]Export pictures->solved with function "duplicate

Post by davidt »

Hello,

There is a feature that none of the applications out there can do. It would be amazing, if DW Contacts would be the first. :)

An option to export contact pictures onto SD card, and then import them back into DW Contacts.

Here is why: I had a peculiar scenario, in which I had to switch to a new google account. At this time, Google contacts doesn't export pictures, so re-importing the contacts in Google contacts doesn't bring back the painstakingly collected contact images. However, because I haven't switched the google account on my phone, I still have pictures next to my contacts in DW Contacts. Before I make the switch in the phone, and lose all my pictures since DW contact would now sync to my new google account, I would like to save the pictures and then import them back in.

Not sure, but it would also be nice, if at this point DW contacts would upload the pictures back to google contacts...

If such a thing could be accomplished, DW Contacts would be a fairly unique application that could create a solution for all those Google users that had no way of exporting the contact pictures and importing them back into another google account.

It would amazing, if this could be done fairly quickly, as I am reluctant to switch accounts on my phone, until I know I have my contact pictures backed up. :)

Thanks
David
camel

Re: Export pictures (copy contacts to another account)

Post by camel »

davidt wrote:Hello,

There is a feature that none of the applications out there can do. It would be amazing, if DW Contacts would be the first. :)

An option to export contact pictures onto SD card, and then import them back into DW Contacts.

Here is why: I had a peculiar scenario, in which I had to switch to a new google account. At this time, Google contacts doesn't export pictures, so re-importing the contacts in Google contacts doesn't bring back the painstakingly collected contact images. However, because I haven't switched the google account on my phone, I still have pictures next to my contacts in DW Contacts. Before I make the switch in the phone, and lose all my pictures since DW contact would now sync to my new google account, I would like to save the pictures and then import them back in.

Not sure, but it would also be nice, if at this point DW contacts would upload the pictures back to google contacts...

If such a thing could be accomplished, DW Contacts would be a fairly unique application that could create a solution for all those Google users that had no way of exporting the contact pictures and importing them back into another google account.

It would amazing, if this could be done fairly quickly, as I am reluctant to switch accounts on my phone, until I know I have my contact pictures backed up. :)

Thanks
David
HI davidt,

at first - if you need an adavented "contact editor" _> there is such kind of application where you can do al lot of things ..
export pictures i haven't found there, but i will write to devel a FR, so, that he will include this to "export picture" on his application. When he will include this ... not sure ...
see: http://dmfs.org/wiki/index.php?title=Co ... itor%2B%2B

but, if you must do this for every contact, then it will a huge dirty job and will take a lot of time !!!

BUT THE GOOD NEWS IS: "DW Contacts & Phone" have an function for it :) (free version is limited to 5 contacts)
it is easy possible to copy all your contacts (anyhow - on which account they are, to copy ("Duplicate contacts") to another account.
There is an option for it in DWC...

todo this: (precondition your wanted account, where you want to be the destination, should be configured in your system)
1.) you should setup in settings - to show only your wanted account, which you want to copy. (settings -> account data)
2.) go to contacts or any other tab -> then switch to "multi-select mode" (menu key -> multi-select) and select all your wanted contacts (see in menu, there you can also select all, invert, etc...)
3.) long press on any selected contact -> then choose from long press menu -> "More>" -> "Duplicate contacts"
then you will be asked to which account you want to copy. Choose it - and then it will copied - DONE :)

All contact informations will be copied to another account :)

perhaps, then you can verify/compare it - and don't forget to configure the account display in DWC after it as you like it:)

PLS: if it is ok for you, i will move this topic to "question", because - i mean - a feature request not needed / not neccesary.
is this ok for you ?

br
Camel
sonhy

Re: Export pictures

Post by sonhy »

Hi,
you can use other apps to save your entire contacts list and the pictures as well (export as separate vcards or into one phonebook .vcf file, and other formats).
I know the backup contacts will import back into the phone as google contacts, but I am not sure if google sync will have problems with them, as i dont use google sync at all.

I use MyPhoneExplorer to copy my contacts over to the PC and back. all with pictures embedded into the vcard files.

Just a suggestion.
davidt

Post by davidt »

Thanks guys,

I'll try the built in function of DW Contacts and MyPhoneExplorer as well. :)

Cheers
David
davidt

Post by davidt »

Hi Camel,

I tried your method, but the application copied for about an hour, then froze. It copied 160 contacts and that's it. :(
Running a ZTE Blade, Android 2.2.
Any way to speed up the copy process and ensure it completes?

Thanks Sonhy for the suggestion, but that software can't see my ZTE for some reason.

David
davidt

Post by davidt »

Unfortunately, neither solution worked. Duplicating contacts is fine, but the pictures aren't upladed to google contacts. :(
I'll just have to re-add pictures to some 400 contacts. Oh, well.

David
camel

Post by camel »

davidt wrote:Unfortunately, neither solution worked. Duplicating contacts is fine, but the pictures aren't upladed to google contacts. :(

David
im tried it here to upload my contact to google -> 850 contacts .. and it is working.
of course - the parser for that is slow, because google sync thisJUST-IN-TIME, which will blocking the system database, which makes the function "dublicate" slow (if you have hundreds of contacts with pictures.

i'm sure , we can optimize this function, and while the duplicate process is running, a resync of database is not needed - (maybe this must be tested, but will,takes time ...and i want to add a lot of other functions, where i'm very hungry on it ...
so, please try to copy not all of them in 1 time, maybe it is working then for you ...and i know the duplicate function is slow, but is working perfect for me, but it needs a lot of time, because it will recheck the whole data after copying to another account, and google sync make it very slow, so it needs time ..

but, can we agree ? - if the duplicate function will optimized, then we can set this thread to "[Not needed] ?

cu camel
davidt

Post by davidt »

Yes, you can set it to NOT NEEDED. :)
camel

Post by camel »

davidt wrote:Yes, you can set it to NOT NEEDED. :)
thanks, set the "optimzing of duplicate function" to my todo list
cu camel
sonhy

Post by sonhy »

davidt wrote:Unfortunately, neither solution worked. Duplicating contacts is fine, but the pictures aren't upladed to google contacts. :(
David
Hi David,
Shame it doesnt work for you, its great for moving and backing up all personal data.
Make sure you have "USB debugging" enabled in the settings on ur phone if you are connecting via usb, and manually put in the phone ip address if ur using wifi.
There should be more help on the app's website.
camel

Post by camel »

David
it is working for me (slow, but it is working)...strange .. (tested from 1 google account to another google account - incl. pictures are working for me)
which account type is your source ?
which account type is your destination ? (if i'm right, i think it is google account for destination)
cu camel