Contact's details are shown delayed

Moderators: dwp, devin

Post Reply
Robbit
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:51 am
Location: Germany

Contact's details are shown delayed

Post by Robbit » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:01 am

Hello,

I generally love this enhanced contacts and phone management surface, however there are some bugs, of which I hereby note the most important:
When scrolling through the contact's list the details of the entries (phone number, organization, group an picture) are shown only when scrolling has been stopped (or is rather slow) and even then it's appears slightly delayed. The stock contact's list, as poor as it is, shows everything dashing through the screen even on fast scrolling.

It'd be really really great, if this fundamental main function (it's still a phone) could be fixed, so that scroll-by-searching for an entry is as easy as in the stock list. And then I'll buy and recommend it instantly!!! :D

Thank you very much in advance
Robbit

camel
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: Contact's details are shown delayed

Post by camel » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:23 am

Robbit wrote:Hello,

I generally love this enhanced contacts and phone management surface, however there are some bugs, of which I hereby note the most important:
When scrolling through the contact's list the details of the entries (phone number, organization, group an picture) are shown only when scrolling has been stopped (or is rather slow) and even then it's appears slightly delayed. The stock contact's list, as poor as it is, shows everything dashing through the screen even on fast scrolling.

It'd be really really great, if this fundamental main function (it's still a phone) could be fixed, so that scroll-by-searching for an entry is as easy as in the stock list. And then I'll buy and recommend it instantly!!! :D

Thank you very much in advance
Robbit
hi, yes, we did that way, that all the extra informations (groups, organization, title, numbers, picture, etc..) will be loaded if scroll is stopped, because otherwise we must load every data in memory, and a lot of phones are having not so much mem.
think, if you are having 5000 contacts, and every picture is 5K => 25MB memory ....and not needed, so this is a normal behavior.
stock app do only have here "display name + picture", so it is complete different, and stock contacts is totally limited.

next is .... if any contacts is changing in background (via sync or whatever, stock contacts reload the whole baby again, which need then again to re-init the memory, and so on ...), and it would make the app very slow if we load on scrolling more data,

but we will take care, maybe we can optimize this more in detail.
do you talking about grid view or list view ?

cu camel

Robbit
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:51 am
Location: Germany

Re: Contact's details are shown delayed

Post by Robbit » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi camel,

thank you very much for your quick reply. First let me say that I'm talking about the list mode, only. The point is, I understand, that the amount of data shown for each contact is bigger than in stock version by two items: company and group. That is meant by "stock contacts is totally limited", right? But then at least the same amount of steady information as in stock contacts (picture, name and phone number) should be possible without straining the memory. Or maybe I haven't understand the difference between the behaviour of stock and DW contacts properly!? And I must admit that I really couldn't follow the explanation for the background sync of the stock contacts, as I expect it is operating anyway, despite its gorgeous replacement ;)

I have about 500 contacts which are eating up 2,5 MB (after your calculation), which is a reasonable value of memory occupied by the phone list (as my Desire S has 786 MB). This leads to the question: which pic size is used by either stock and DW contacts: original or thumbnail size?

Please do not feel bothered by my insisting, but your app has grown to my most important one indeed, since the last update of HTC's Sense deteriorated the stock contacts heavily: the formerly brilliant contact pics (line-size big and with an unbelievably dynamic border!!!) are now unnecessarily small with a dropdown arrow, which COVERS THE RIGHT PART OF THE PIC!!! I was really shocked about this foolish layout. BTW: also the unadjustable homescreen transitions (the smooth sliding with the tender following background picture has gone for a 3D animation with fixed background picture), unstoppable wobbling of some widgets and other parts are really annoying in the new Sense.

So let me say thank you very much again for developing this valuable app and staying in touch with your customers :D
Robbit

camel
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: Contact's details are shown delayed

Post by camel » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:05 am

Robbit wrote:Hi camel,

thank you very much for your quick reply. First let me say that I'm talking about the list mode, only. The point is, I understand, that the amount of data shown for each contact is bigger than in stock version by two items: company and group. That is meant by "stock contacts is totally limited", right? But then at least the same amount of steady information as in stock contacts (picture, name and phone number) should be possible without straining the memory. Or maybe I haven't understand the difference between the behaviour of stock and DW contacts properly!? And I must admit that I really couldn't follow the explanation for the background sync of the stock contacts, as I expect it is operating anyway, despite its gorgeous replacement ;)

I have about 500 contacts which are eating up 2,5 MB (after your calculation), which is a reasonable value of memory occupied by the phone list (as my Desire S has 786 MB). This leads to the question: which pic size is used by either stock and DW contacts: original or thumbnail size?

Please do not feel bothered by my insisting, but your app has grown to my most important one indeed, since the last update of HTC's Sense deteriorated the stock contacts heavily: the formerly brilliant contact pics (line-size big and with an unbelievably dynamic border!!!) are now unnecessarily small with a dropdown arrow, which COVERS THE RIGHT PART OF THE PIC!!! I was really shocked about this foolish layout. BTW: also the unadjustable homescreen transitions (the smooth sliding with the tender following background picture has gone for a 3D animation with fixed background picture), unstoppable wobbling of some widgets and other parts are really annoying in the new Sense.

So let me say thank you very much again for developing this valuable app and staying in touch with your customers :D
Robbit
first - you gave me info for yoir internla memory, not the space of your free availible "free system memory" or "system memory cache" ... anyhow. maybe your phone have enough space free, but not some other buggy devices, which are having only 20MB system memory left or less, and also maybe your phone is not one of the buggy sony x-10, which would also like to have it working ...
and maybe you are only having 500 contacts, but we must also think, that it is possible on devices, which are having 10MB left + 10.000 contacts, and they also want to use it ....
an average user is having 500 contacts and 20 of them is having a picture for them...
so, the picture is notm the highest priority til now, maybe in future, the users will getting more contact picture, and then maybe we will add an option to preload the pictures, and then it will be getting crappy -but user can descide ...

but, it is much more complicated as i told you, you must also think on several different databases, where contact infos are stored. in a bad case, there will be made several queries to get all information about 1 user, then, think, how it would be funny, if user wants to scroll, but the android API wants to show the pictures at first in the list for whole 5000 contacts and is making 15.000 sql queries ?

and why should we calc for all 5000 user the displaying the contact pictures and all informations + displaying it + space for it + space for all temp queries, which would also need memory (before garbage will happen on used mem), if the user wants only to jump to alpha "T" and show contacts,m whicha re beginning with "T" ?

as told - i will keep an eye on it, but our politic, speed is highest priority.

cu camel

Robbit
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:51 am
Location: Germany

Re: Contact's details are shown delayed

Post by Robbit » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:12 pm

Hello camel,

the free memory varies of course (currently it says 113 MB free of a total of 596 MB, while "DW Kontakte & Te..." occupies currently 11 MB). Of course speed has highest priority, and I definitely support this policy! But what I'm longing for is concerning speedy usability as well, didn't I? As it is now I don't have to handle an unsmooth scrolling, sure, but I have to wait for the entry informations instead.

To make it easier to understand: The pic is important to me, because I placed one to almost every entry in my contacts. So if I'm searching for a certain company, i. e. Lufthansa, I can scroll until my eye catches the typical orange background of the pic; at least in the stock contacts I can do so ;) This is even more useful if you have many many entries to search and scroll through.

I see the problems a depeloper is faced with, but what I do not understand is, why the stock contact list is able to show pics and numbers without jerky scrolling!? Isn't it possible to access the stock list, which seems to be kept loaded anyway (sometimes it interferes and pops up instead DW tool when I open recent calls). Or isn't it possible to get rid of the stock contacts then, to free the the needed amount of memory?

Could it at least be managed to preload the hidden stuff near the visible (screen) area of contacts? Maybe in scrolling direction, only? Then the pics, numbers and informations could appear faster.

Thank you so much
Robbit

camel
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: Contact's details are shown delayed

Post by camel » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:19 pm

Robbit wrote:Hello camel,

the free memory varies of course (currently it says 113 MB free of a total of 596 MB, while "DW Kontakte & Te..." occupies currently 11 MB). Of course speed has highest priority, and I definitely support this policy! But what I'm longing for is concerning speedy usability as well, didn't I? As it is now I don't have to handle an unsmooth scrolling, sure, but I have to wait for the entry informations instead.

To make it easier to understand: The pic is important to me, because I placed one to almost every entry in my contacts. So if I'm searching for a certain company, i. e. Lufthansa, I can scroll until my eye catches the typical orange background of the pic; at least in the stock contacts I can do so ;) This is even more useful if you have many many entries to search and scroll through.

I see the problems a depeloper is faced with, but what I do not understand is, why the stock contact list is able to show pics and numbers without jerky scrolling!? Isn't it possible to access the stock list, which seems to be kept loaded anyway (sometimes it interferes and pops up instead DW tool when I open recent calls). Or isn't it possible to get rid of the stock contacts then, to free the the needed amount of memory?

Could it at least be managed to preload the hidden stuff near the visible (screen) area of contacts? Maybe in scrolling direction, only? Then the pics, numbers and informations could appear faster.

Thank you so much
Robbit
1.) stock dialer do not having so much information as in DWC.
2.) i am not sure, if you can easier differ the contacts with pictures,if you are having 5000 contacts, and you try to find your contact with picture.
i'm would think you are faster, if you know to scroll to "Peter" i you are searching for it - as scrolling and looking on faced til i find the wanted "peter" - but as told -this is only mymind.
next i only have 10% of pictures on my contacts,but i am sure, in future the pictures for contacts will be growing ...
3.) we will make in a near future version a trigger, where you can then activate the loading - maybe it is then to slow, but is related on your contacts.

cu camel

Robbit
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:51 am
Location: Germany

Re: Contact's details are shown delayed

Post by Robbit » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:29 pm

Hi camel,

how is it working out? Do you have the switch on plan for an upcoming update?

Best regards
-Robbit.

dwp
Site Admin
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: Contact's details are shown delayed

Post by dwp » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:30 am

Hello
The new version has been loaded picture and contact information loaded to do optimization.
Avatar of favorite contacts will be loaded when the software starts.
At the same time, if you use DW dialer. DW dialer cache organization and number information will be used in the contact list.

Robbit
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:51 am
Location: Germany

Re: Contact's details are shown delayed

Post by Robbit » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:45 pm

Hello,

thanks for your quick reply. In fact this doesn't work out on my device: When I scroll the contact's list the pictures and additional informations (company, group etc.) show up only after the scrolling has stopped. Is it a question of configuration? Do I have to switch something?

Cheers
-Rob.

dwp
Site Admin
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: Contact's details are shown delayed

Post by dwp » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:58 am

Hello
Thank you, I discovered a problem. Now only the use of a phone number.
I will add the company information in the new version. Support company information need to open the organizing search in the T9 search settings.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest