saving contacts for a certain period only.

Moderators: dwp, devin

tyroniius

saving contacts for a certain period only.

Post by tyroniius »

Hi there

I have had this idea for a while and i think it would be a great feature in a contact manager.

In my business we deal with hundreds of clients in a month. When I contact a new client, i am hesitant to save their details as i know I will only need the details for a few weeks or a month or two. If i had to save all the contacts it would overwhelm my address book with contacts that i may never use again. so usually i opt not to save the contact and then i regret it a few days later when i need the number.

My idea is that you can save a contact which will only stay in your address book for a certain period of time (maybe a temporary address book - it could managed much like a favorites folder) The length of time that you want to keep the contact for, could stipulated when saving the contact, perhaps a default option and some specified other options (2,4,6, 12 months) The contact manager would then either automatically (controlled in the settings) delete the contact when the period of time is up, or ask you to extend the period, or ask you to convert the contact to a permanent contact.

Let me know what you think.

I have a few other ideas as well, but this is the most challenging one.

This may be a good feature to offer only in your pro version.

Let me know what you think.

regards
Tyron
camel

Re: saving contacts for a certain period only.

Post by camel »

hi,
at first
i heard about your case, and android do not support such kind of "creation time" of contact.
next it would not supported by all systems (EAS, google,local, etc..)

the users are doing that like:
1.) create a group: "2012"
2.) then, if you add such kind of temp contacts -> add this contacts to this group: "2012", which will having only a lifetime of 2012 or whatever ...

so, if you want then to cleaup your contact database, it is very simple to open the group "2012", and select allcontacts,and then you simple click "delete contacts" and it is done.
to do such dangerous process automatically is not a good idea, and also there is no "CREATION TIME" fieldin android contacts database.

if you have any other feature requests - please let me know.

cu camel