Support for Car Dock mode

Moderators: dwp, devin

AlCan

Support for Car Dock mode

Post by AlCan »

Hi Camel / DWP,

First: I just LOVE your DWP app! LOVE IT!!! It's so much better than the Default Android interface.

I'm fairly new to Android and very new to DWP, but I expect I'll be here often!

I'm a travelling sales rep. I use my phone intensively, everyday, for many things. Mostly, I use it when I'm in the car.

I have a Motorola MB525 (Defy) with OEM Car Dock - which I currently use in Landscape orientation.

When I installed DWP (2.0.9.1), it inserted a Dialog Box into the Standard Contacts and Dialer buttons, which asked which program I wanted to use when starting Dialler and Contacts from the Normal Menu screen. I have Defaulted to DWP, of course! (Can still use Original ones through the Apps Menu.)

However, when I place the phone into the Car Dock, the Car Dock interface appears automatically. (You can also start Car Dock mode (to see what it's like without actually having a Car Dock), simply by pressing 'Car Dock' in the Apps menu.)

It has a few large buttons only, and one sub-screen, but is suitable for using in a car while driving because the big buttons are easy to hit. (It's legal here, so long as you have a fixed Car Dock.) Unfortunately, the original Android Car Dock "App" is actually very poor, and has almost no configuration capability. All I can change is the "Contacts" box on the Main screen, which I have switched to DW Contacts, but I can't reconfigure the Dialer (under the 'Calling' Menu.) I know I can access it using Contacts | Phone so that will do for now...

But, my question is, could you also insert settable Dialog Boxes into the Dialer and Contacts buttons on the Car Dock sub menu, please? That way, those buttons will still be useful, because at the moment, they back me back to last century!

Many thanks again for creating such a great app!

Al
Currently (i.e Now, not necessarily the date of this post)
using DW Contacts & Dialer version 2.5.3.0-pro
On Motorola Defy with Android 2.2.2 (Work Phone)
camel

Re: Support for Car Dock mode

Post by camel »

AlCan wrote:Hi Camel / DWP,

First: I just LOVE your DWP app! LOVE IT!!! It's so much better than the Default Android interface.

I'm fairly new to Android and very new to DWP, but I expect I'll be here often!

I'm a travelling sales rep. I use my phone intensively, everyday, for many things. Mostly, I use it when I'm in the car.

I have a Motorola MB525 (Defy) with OEM Car Dock - which I currently use in Landscape orientation.

When I installed DWP (2.0.9.1), it inserted a Dialog Box into the Standard Contacts and Dialer buttons, which asked which program I wanted to use when starting Dialler and Contacts from the Normal Menu screen. I have Defaulted to DWP, of course! (Can still use Original ones through the Apps Menu.)

However, when I place the phone into the Car Dock, the Car Dock interface appears automatically. (You can also start Car Dock mode (to see what it's like without actually having a Car Dock), simply by pressing 'Car Dock' in the Apps menu.)

It has a few large buttons only, and one sub-screen, but is suitable for using in a car while driving because the big buttons are easy to hit. (It's legal here, so long as you have a fixed Car Dock.) Unfortunately, the original Android Car Dock "App" is actually very poor, and has almost no configuration capability. All I can change is the "Contacts" box on the Main screen, which I have switched to DW Contacts, but I can't reconfigure the Dialer (under the 'Calling' Menu.) I know I can access it using Contacts | Phone so that will do for now...

But, my question is, could you also insert settable Dialog Boxes into the Dialer and Contacts buttons on the Car Dock sub menu, please? That way, those buttons will still be useful, because at the moment, they back me back to last century!

Many thanks again for creating such a great app!

Al
hi,
well, this is not an issue of DWC, this must be implemented in the "Car DOck" application.
as you can see, DWC does using the intents for "contacts" and "phone" (this was, too as you saw, where the app will ask you which app you would like to use as default)
so, if there itis possible to add, then only in your "Car Dock" app.
i also had such kind of "car Dock" app, at the end, i remved it, because it is more like a funny thing, but nothing,w hat you can really use.
also in DC -> long click on "green dialer icon", will start voice calling ..(but mostly the android voice calling does not call my real wanted number.
so, at the end - mostly i use i n realilty - the t9-search, in my car, which is also very easy to use while driving, and brings the best solution.
well, as you like to handle ... car dock apps will be maybe usefull for me in 5.10 years.
cu camel