number selection on call/sms

Moderators: dwp, devin

jettero

number selection on call/sms

Post by jettero »

I'm a recent refuge from Go Contacts (notification spam is new there). The only feature I'm missing -- and it's really important to me -- is a number selection.

When I click a contact on favorites or in the group list or whereever, DWP helpfully pops up an action list. If I click call or SMS, it selects one of the numbers and just does it's thing. Well, for nearly all of my contacts, I need to actually select the number. I don't want to call their mobile if I know they're in their cube. And for a couple of my contacts, I need to be able to select which number I want to sms.

Therefore, the favorites and group contacts lists are nearly useless to me, since I have to essentially use the system contact card for everyone every time.

Please add an option for number selection when you click call/sms from the quickbar actionlist.
dwp
Site Admin

Re: number selection on call/sms

Post by dwp »

Hello
Thank you for your suggestion.
The quickbar provided by the system. No good way.
Now click on the icon will dial the default number.
A suggestion, please hold down the default number in the contact details interface. Pop-up menu, select Clear default.
jettero

Post by jettero »

I'm quite sure there's a way to do. Plenty of apps launch sub menus from the quickcontactbadge, rather than using the default intent. Go Contacts does this (and a couple other dialers I tried, though I do not recall which, since most of the dialers out there are awful). Looking at the android dev docs, you just have to overload QuickContactBadge onClick() and pop open a radio group. Take a look at Go Contacts briefly, and then immediately uninstall it, as eventually it will present ads to your notification bar -- the reason I'm here.

I'm going to try to draft a brief example and I'll post back if it's really as easy as I'm claiming (or not).
jettero

Post by jettero »

Clear default doesn't seem to actually do anything. I can change the default by longclicking the other number, but the clear default that pops up after long clicking the checked number doesn't seem to actually clear anything and clicking on the contact's avatar, clicking phone, still just calls whatever the default is, rather than allowing me to select.
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

jettero wrote:I'm quite sure there's a way to do. Plenty of apps launch sub menus from the quickcontactbadge, rather than using the default intent. Go Contacts does this (and a couple other dialers I tried, though I do not recall which, since most of the dialers out there are awful). Looking at the android dev docs, you just have to overload QuickContactBadge onClick() and pop open a radio group. Take a look at Go Contacts briefly, and then immediately uninstall it, as eventually it will present ads to your notification bar -- the reason I'm here.

I'm going to try to draft a brief example and I'll post back if it's really as easy as I'm claiming (or not).

This will need to draw the QuickContact the window myself.
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

jettero wrote:Clear default doesn't seem to actually do anything. I can change the default by longclicking the other number, but the clear default that pops up after long clicking the checked number doesn't seem to actually clear anything and clicking on the contact's avatar, clicking phone, still just calls whatever the default is, rather than allowing me to select.
Yes! I have just tested, some systems do not support clear default.It has always been to maintain a default number.
jettero

Post by jettero »

This will need to draw the QuickContact the window myself.
It's not quite that bad. They have an onClick event for the QuickContactBadge so you can intercept ... I was also looking for flags to ignore defaults on the picker intent. I didn't get anything to work, but if I find an easy way to do it, I'll surely post it.

Another idea might be to just make clicking contacts go to their contact page instead of the quick badge. I imagine such an option already exists and I just have to find it. (later) I can't seem to find such a setting for grid views. :(
Yes! I have just tested, some systems do not support clear default.It has always been to maintain a default number.
Ja. Seems to work in ICS, but not gingerbread. I haven't really tested any other platforms. It's odd though that I can have contacts without defaults, I just can't later un-set that setting. Once set, you're just kinda stuck with it. dislike.