edit contacts on SIM card / export to txt/CSV

Moderators: dwp, devin

oogle

edit contacts on SIM card / export to txt/CSV

Post by oogle »

1) Ability to edit contacts in Sim card and phone.
Without it, I won't even consider buying your software.
2) Ability to export to other formats for contacts database including Text, CSV, etc.
3) A Desktop software to manage all details.

Bug Report.
All incoming calls are sometimes saved to <no name> for contacts. Can be very irritating.
Can it be saved to their contact numbers instead if their names are not found?
camel

Re: Ability to edit contacts in Simm card and phone

Post by camel »

hi oogle,
thanks for your feature request ...
oogle wrote:1) Ability to edit contacts in Simm card and phone. Without it, I won't even consider buying your software.
at first - SIM CARD IS VERY LIMITED and you should create this on any other account. Almost no android systems are support them ..i will look for a solution to copy SIM contacts to another account.

1.) Contacts on phone can be editing ..
and most user are going to an account -> like google account or ms excahnge account and saving there the contacts, because - otherwise if phone will be lost, then all contacts are lost, too.
so, i prefer to use an account as describe above, and then i will prefer to copy all contacts from local phone to an account.
bookyou can copy all your
This can be done very easy ...
a) go to tab "contacts" ->
b) then (menu key)"multiselect", and then you can select all contacts what you want to copy.
c) if you selected all contacts -> then (long press menu) press "Duplicate contacts" -> and select to which account you want to copy it.
DONE :)
after that you can setup in settings, to show only contacts from account "google" or "ms exchange", etc.. to be sure if they are copied)
optional: if you have copied(duplicated) all contacts to another account, then you can remove all contacts from phone.
hint: now it is also possible to "show only contacts from your local phone account" (to be sure, that you don't remove contacts from another account)
therefore go to: settings -> "Account data" -> and select only local phone account (can be called as: "vnd.sec.phone" or simular)
then you will only see the contacts from this account, and it will be now easily to remove all slected contacts on tab "contacts"
oogle wrote:2) Ability to export to other formats for contacts database including Text, CSV, etc.
you can "share contact" (long press on a single contact) via text or vcard (best is vcard, if you want to send a contact via email to another user, because this they can easily click on the attachment and auto import ion all systems)
if you want to export all contacts as vcard, this can be done very easily done directly on google- or exchange frontend (web-portal of google, excahnge account, outlook, egroupware, etc..)
so, i'm not sure, if it will be really needed in DW Contacts to export to text or CSV ???
but if really wanted, it would be possible to add a function: "Export contact/contacts", and then select VCARD,CSV,TXT.
"Export contact/contacts", and then select VCARD,CSV,TXT, and then select place to which position it should be saved.
so, i will set it to the FR list :)
oogle wrote:3) A Desktop software to manage all details.
? do you mean a application for desktop windows/android/mac ?
there are several apps: outlook, thunderbird, web-portal: google, exchange,
why should be make a own application for desktop ? or maybe i don'T understand you ...
(PLS: DW Contact & Phone is better to editing the organizations, groups, titles as Outlook and much more comfortabler as another desktop application, because no system can change example: a organization for several contacts :)
so, for me it is now better to edit/organize contacts in "DW Contacts" against MS outlook :)
oogle wrote:Bug Report. All incoming calls are sometimes saved to <no name> for contacts. Can be very irritating. Can it be saved to their contact numbers instead if their names are not found?
no one reported til now, that there are <NO NAME> contacts ?????

please an you describe what you mean ?
maybe you are talking about the phonenumber of a contact, and how it should be saved ?
for better understanding - SORRY, BUT YOU MUST LEARN TO SAVE YOUR NUMBERS CORRECT !
example (number from austria +43 is international dailing number):
so, now you can call a local number: in different ways ...
1.)
+43 12345 67890 (can be called also from every outside country)
but often the users are saving the number:
0043 12345 67890 (can be called also from china, too)
or they save the number:
012345 67890 (then only possible to call from same country)

BUT if the contact call you -> THE CALLER will always send the full country number (this will be done by your telco provider)
+431234567890

so, i prefer, that you also save this in this kind, and you will be lucky also in the internalional world :)

hope, that this infos helps you, if there are questions left ... i'll be ready for it
cu camel
oogle

Post by oogle »

oogle wrote:
Bug Report. All incoming calls are sometimes saved to <no name> for contacts. Can be very irritating. Can it be saved to their contact numbers instead if their names are not found?

please describe what you mean ?

By default, all incoming calls are saved with their phone numbers, but there are some which are saved to <no name> phone numbers.
Do u get what I mean? It is very irritating to edit every single one of those details.

By linking your contacts to a Desktop software, I can create more fields to add <address>, <notes>, etc like ACT! by Symantecs with the ability to
export to Text or CSV. Linking to Gmail does not provide this functionality.
camel

Post by camel »

oogle wrote:oogle wrote:
Bug Report. All incoming calls are sometimes saved to <no name> for contacts. Can be very irritating. Can it be saved to their contact numbers instead if their names are not found?
please describe what you mean ?
By default, all incoming calls are saved with their phone numbers, but there are some which are saved to <no name> phone numbers.
Do u get what I mean? It is very irritating to edit every single one of those details.
DW contacts & Phone doesn't save any call to a contact. Maybe you installed another app, which do that ...
hope, that i got what you mean - sorry ...
or do you mean, if a caller dosesn't send his number ?
if an caller doesn't send the number (anonymous), then you want see any number or name.
do you mean, when an caller doesn't send his own phone-number ?
or ..my normal working is: i have an unkonown number in "phone" tab, which called me. this number i take (long press) -> then "Add number to contact", then it opening the stock API class to edit/add "add an contact", and then the number is copied inside this new contact. (firstname + lastname is empty) So i must insert a name ... and save - DONE..
oogle wrote:By linking your contacts to a Desktop software, I can create more fields to add <address>, <notes>, etc like ACT! by Symantecs with the ability to
export to Text or CSV. Linking to Gmail does not provide this functionality.
thanks, good idea to export ..export function for CSV, TXT will be made in a future version, soon .....
(but how you want to import a CSV or txt is another story, and this is more complicated ....(because this would take a lot of time ...)

if you are having so much contacts, or want often to play with import/export -> don't think that a google account is the best choice ...
example: i also sell professional accounts for egroupware (which also support exchange activesync accounts, and there you can do all your wantings ..(import/export/etc..) real push for email, calendar, contacts, tasks, etc .... inclusive web-portal

cu camel
baarlow

Re: edit contacts on SIM card / export to txt/CSV

Post by baarlow »

What do you have to do to open a vCard saved as UTF-8 format in Outlook? I have programatically created a vCard that needs to support uk and cyrillic character sets. Creation of the file and structure is correct if you save the card as ANSI it opens correctly but the characters are converted to '?', if you save the file as UTF-8 format it will not open in outlook and states that the format is incorrect.
camel

Post by camel »

baarlow wrote:What do you have to do to open a vCard saved as UTF-8 format in Outlook? I have programatically created a vCard that needs to support uk and cyrillic character sets. Creation of the file and structure is correct if you save the card as ANSI it opens correctly but the characters are converted to '?', if you save the file as UTF-8 format it will not open in outlook and states that the format is incorrect.
hi
DWC do not having a own vcard application. this will be used from your installed android system API.
so, if you want to make a change or you are having a question about the "androids internal built-in vcard API" vcard function -> please consult the developers for this API (i think google made this API or your ROM manufacturer (related on your device)
so, this is completly out of DWC scopes.
maybe you can try to google or look on xda developers.
cu camel
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Hi there Baarlow,

Yes, I can say from my own experience that using vCard (Version 2.1 anyway) is not a good option for migrating contacts off your phone, even if you have DWP installed.

vCard is not really up to the job and regularly screws up the data in some form or other.

In my case, it either ends up incorrectly concatenating contact details (such as Organisation and Department), and/or it breaks Phone Number punctuation (e.g. Waits & Pauses), and it INSISTS on incorrectly reformatting numbers into the 123-456-7890123 format, or even breaking them into two phone numbers! I'd hate to think what it would do with unusual character sets! So, I've given up on vCard altogether.

What I did was setup a Gmail account and allowed Google to acquire all my contacts off the phone via a WiFi connection.

Then, you can export them from Google in either Google CSV format, or Outlook CSV format (or a 3rd option which I don't recall - How about that, it's vCard!?), and edit to your heart's content.

I currently have about 500 contacts but need to integrate another few thousand... It's still a work in progress for me, but the Google output looks much more correct, and doesn't reformat my numbers at least.
Currently (i.e Now, not necessarily the date of this post)
using DW Contacts & Dialer version 2.5.3.0-pro
On Motorola Defy with Android 2.2.2 (Work Phone)
camel

Post by camel »

AlCan wrote:Hi there Baarlow,

Yes, I can say from my own experience that using vCard (Version 2.1 anyway) is not a good option for migrating contacts off your phone, even if you have DWP installed.

vCard is not really up to the job and regularly screws up the data in some form or other.

In my case, it either ends up incorrectly concatenating contact details (such as Organisation and Department), and/or it breaks Phone Number punctuation (e.g. Waits & Pauses), and it INSISTS on incorrectly reformatting numbers into the 123-456-7890123 format, or even breaking them into two phone numbers! I'd hate to think what it would do with unusual character sets! So, I've given up on vCard altogether.

What I did was setup a Gmail account and allowed Google to acquire all my contacts off the phone via a WiFi connection.

Then, you can export them from Google in either Google CSV format, or Outlook CSV format (or a 3rd option which I don't recall - How about that, it's vCard!?), and edit to your heart's content.

I currently have about 500 contacts but need to integrate another few thousand... It's still a work in progress for me, but the Google output looks much more correct, and doesn't reformat my numbers at least.
hi,
well, the vcard is realted to your android sytem, and google's aosp android code, there is the fucntion in place.
for me it is working fine - but as told - it is related on your system.
anyhow, there are a lot of vcard applications - see google market.
cu camel