[DONE in 2.0.5] allow to create local contacts

Moderators: dwp, devin

markum

[DONE in 2.0.5] allow to create local contacts

Post by markum »

I am currently checking out between competing "GO Contacts" and the DWP app. While I in general like DWP better, a feature I am missing in it, is the ability to create local contacts which are not associated to an account, but are only stored in the phone. The problem with DWP is that it not only does not seem to be able to create those local contacts, it also is not able to show them. It only shows them, if I turn on showing contacts from the google account. Which is kind of scary, since I definitly want any of my contacts associated with my google account (you never know if an update sudently changes settings and uploads the contacts to Google). So the feature wish would be to allow the creation and showing of locally stored contacts.

Markum

please can you try new version 2.0.5 ?
this is working now :)
can you confirm this ?
camel

Re: allow to create local contacts

Post by camel »

markum wrote:I am currently checking out between competing "GO Contacts" and the DWP app. While I in general like DWP better, a feature I am missing in it, is the ability to create local contacts which are not associated to an account, but are only stored in the phone. The problem with DWP is that it not only does not seem to be able to create those local contacts, it also is not able to show them. It only shows them, if I turn on showing contacts from the google account. Which is kind of scary, since I definitly want any of my contacts associated with my google account (you never know if an update sudently changes settings and uploads the contacts to Google). So the feature wish would be to allow the creation and showing of locally stored contacts.

Markum
it is implemented and we are testing this (on next version), to show local db ("My contacts") - and also copy(duplicate function) from any account type to local account type.
also the picture viewing - we are testing and we did some better optimizations for local, facebook, google, skype, linkIn accounts - we are testing ...

cu camel
camel

Re: allow to create local contacts

Post by camel »

markum wrote:I am currently checking out between competing "GO Contacts" and the DWP app. While I in general like DWP better, a feature I am missing in it, is the ability to create local contacts which are not associated to an account, but are only stored in the phone. The problem with DWP is that it not only does not seem to be able to create those local contacts, it also is not able to show them. It only shows them, if I turn on showing contacts from the google account. Which is kind of scary, since I definitly want any of my contacts associated with my google account (you never know if an update sudently changes settings and uploads the contacts to Google). So the feature wish would be to allow the creation and showing of locally stored contacts.

Markum
this is now working in new version 2.0.5
please try it, if you are happy with it ... :)
cu camel
mort

Re: [DONE] allow to create local contacts

Post by mort »

I was able to use local phone accounts but not to add a new contact to the phone. When trying to do so, I have to choose the default Google app and I am forced to create a Google contact.

With support for local phone based contact, the whole app is useless for me.

My aim is to have local contacts which I want to sync with Thunderbird via BirdieSync.
camel

Post by camel »

mort wrote:I was able to use local phone accounts but not to add a new contact to the phone. When trying to do so, I have to choose the default Google app and I am forced to create a Google contact.

With support for local phone based contact, the whole app is useless for me.

My aim is to have local contacts which I want to sync with Thunderbird via BirdieSync.
we are 100% supporting local accounts (amount 1.000.000 user can do that).
we are supporting all contacts types and also read-only and also read-restricted. the limitation is only, that not all types can be modified (ex: facebook, skype). expected account types, which are not developed on android standard class/db.

if it is not working on your phone, then you must have any other problem or maybe installed any other app, which is blocking it
if your contact editor is buggy (DWC is not a contact editor), then you can try a real editor -> "contact editor pro"
cu camel
mort

Post by mort »

Thank you, I will have a look at contact editor pro.
mort

Post by mort »

Do I understand you right, that DWP
* does in general support editing all kind of contacts (google, local, sim) as far as I do not have sideeffecgts due to other apps
* does not offer to add contacts of any kind in general. It will always use the google methods for this task ?

thank you for your time and effort.
camel

Post by camel »

mort wrote:Do I understand you right, that DWP
* does in general support editing all kind of contacts (google, local, sim) as far as I do not have sideeffecgts due to other apps
* does not offer to add contacts of any kind in general. It will always use the google methods for this task ?

thank you for your time and effort.
google task ? don know what yyou mean with it.

DWC does support to read all contact database, which are based on RFC of android AOSP code.
to edit them -> is related if the contact database is read-write

via DWC only few fileds willb e edited directly with DWC.
most fields can be edit bxy internal editor.
if you want to use an 3rd app - there is an app: called "Contact Editor Pro", which is supporting almost all fields (because stock editor are mostly very buggy, and limited on few fields)