[OS limited]Allow to choose shown name of merged contacts

Moderators: dwp, devin

markum

[OS limited]Allow to choose shown name of merged contacts

Post by markum »

I have merged some contacts from my phone with Facebook contacts. That because some of my Facebook contacts did not have their real names did not happen automatically. Unfortunately the merged contacts then showed the Facebook-Name and this seems to be not possible to change at the moment. I found out that it is possible to avoid this by using the contact which should provide the real name first. But there seems to be no way to fix this, when I have already done it. An easy switch would be very helpful.

Markum
camel

Re: Allow to choose shown name of merged contacts

Post by camel »

markum wrote:I have merged some contacts from my phone with Facebook contacts. That because some of my Facebook contacts did not have their real names did not happen automatically. Unfortunately the merged contacts then showed the Facebook-Name and this seems to be not possible to change at the moment. I found out that it is possible to avoid this by using the contact which should provide the real name first. But there seems to be no way to fix this, when I have already done it. An easy switch would be very helpful.

Markum
hi markum,
how should this be possible ?
the merged contact name will be set by the global settings -> "show contact as" lastname, firstname
the merging process itself is android system related
the facebook accounts is very limited and is read-only.
or maybe i don't understand the FR ?
markum

Post by markum »

camel wrote: how should this be possible ?
the merged contact name will be set by the global settings -> "show contact as" lastname, firstname
I have two contacts:
- Contact a as phone contact "Realname"
- Contract b as Facebook contact "Fakename"
The merged contact is named "Fakename" if I select contact b first. It should be kind of possible to change the new main contact from which merged contact name is choosen after merging.

Markum
camel

Post by camel »

markum wrote:
camel wrote: how should this be possible ?
I have two contacts:
- Contact a as phone contact "Realname"
- Contract b as Facebook contact "Fakename"
The merged contact is named "Fakename" if I select contact b first. It should be kind of possible to change the new main contact from which merged contact name is choosen after merging.

Markum
hi MArkum, ok, i understand ...
but the order which name should be shown wll be done from android system (which is the master and all other are merged to this master).
don't know - if it is possible to change ...
but, if it is possible ? - how should it be possible to change it ?
maynually on every contact, which seems, that there are multiple contacts merged ?
if you select a "merged contact", how do you want to selelct the master ?
how should it work (i mean the process for handling) ?
next question is: if contact A and contact B are in the same account type -> what should be done then ?
if you create a contact "John Denver" (on local account) + "John Denver2" (on local account) -> then you can merge them togehter manually, and the name will shown as "John Denver" - and not as "John Denver2". so it will be always use the oldest (lowest _id) name.
i have no idea now, how this should be anyhow practicable handled by any function ...
the only idea is on "contact editor", where maybe you can change the name, or unlink the 2 contacts.

the only place, where this makes sense to change is on "contact editor". i will talk with devel of "contact editor++", maybe he can implement this to change the master for viewing ...
but if the account types are different, not sure if there is any chance to change this for read-only account types like: skype, or like facebook, twitter, LinkedIn - then only for local, EAS, and google maybe possible ...
camel

Post by camel »

see http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=6067

this is a android or manufacturer issue ...and must be fixed by them ...
i don'T think, that there is another solution for it (without losing a lot of speed in DWC)
because DWC makes only 1 request to get the "display name", which is system related ...
camel

Re: [OS limited]Allow to choose shown name of merged contact

Post by camel »

this is not possible, because it is limited by android OS.
Rafael

Post by Rafael »

Hi @all,

I´m not sure if I should answer here, because the post is a half year old or if I should open a new one.
Bur I have the same problem, so I add it here.
I think that dwp is the best contacts app in the marcet, but I think there is a bug.

Let me explain why:

I have two contacts for the same person.
Skype and phone contacts.
For first it is importend which contact is selected while merging. The selected contact that will be edited during the merging is the main contact later.
So if I edit the phone contact and add the skype contact, the phone contacts name will be shown in the contact.
If I edit the skype contact and add the phone contact the shown contact name is the skype name.
This can be seen, if I open the contact.

Ok. So far so good. But if I take a look in the contacts tab of dwp always the skype name will be shown.
The strange think is that in the Phone tab, the right name of the contact will be shown. I checked it in the enclosed contacts and phone app and there the right name will be shown too.
So I think that seems to be a fault in dwp.

And I noticed another strange thing. If the skype name is for example "darth.vader" and I rename it to "Harry" for example. Then dw contacts show Harry vader.
And if the skype name is only "darth" and I rename it to "Harry", then everything is allright .

This strange things occur only in contacts and other tabs in dwp. The phone tab in dwp and the enclosed contacts and phone apps don´t have this issue.

I tried to avoid this problem using the nickname. But the nickname only will be shown if I change the settings "Show contact as nickname". But then the sort order is wrong, if not all contacts have nicknames.
Maybe it would be a good idea to add a setting show nickname if existing and sort the contacts like set in the settings and use the nickname instead of first- or lastname if existing.

For information: I´m using a HTC Desire z with CyanogenMod 7.

I hope I have explain this issue detailed enough.

Greetings
camel

Post by camel »

this is issue is realted on anroid system and name fields.
the system contact app are using the show name which come from different stores.
DWCdo use the real lastname,firstname, nickname ..
also in android, there is only 1 filedfor sorting.
so there is no way to sort the list for:
first order: nickname / 2nd order: lastname / 3rd order: firstname
for this DWCmust do 3 queries,then sort it in memory and then show the lsit to contacts.
this will consume 3times for memand 3 times more time and it will go sjowdown the whole system.
if there are account tpes,which are not supporting the correct defined contact data field,then this mustbefixed by them,and not by DWC.
of course we will look forwardto find better way, but skype,facebook, etc .... are not using the real correct AOSP defined contacts data field.
if they would do their job as good as DWC,then it would be working out of the box ...

PLS: the merge of different contact fields is totally stupid. best is remove the link/merge on the contacts,and then it is normal as it should be.

cu camel