DWP help for Jelly Bean problems?

Moderators: dwp, devin

AlCan

DWP help for Jelly Bean problems?

Post by AlCan »

Hi DWP,

As I mentioned to Robbit in another post, I now also have a new phone with Jelly Bean (4.1.2) on it.

However, after using Froyo 2.2.2 for so long, I am very, very, VERY disappointed with Jelly Bean. I see from various forums that it gets a lot of complaints and criticism from other users as well. Many of the same things that I hate about it.

One of the really stupid things they have done in JB is to add an extra compulsory question when you have to choose between two apps to execute a task.

For example, I have DWP and the Stock Contacts app in my Froyo phone. However, I never set a Default option for View Contact, because sometimes I want to still use the Stock contact viewer. (For example, DWC doesn't show whether a contact actually has linked profiles so I keep the Stock viewer available as a contact viewer option.) All I have to do is choose which App I want to view the contact with. There is a Checkbox option at the bottom of the Choose App box which enables the next choice to become the permanent default choice, but I never set that Checkbox.

However, in Jelly Bean, EVERY TIME you want to do this, you have to first choose which App as normal, but then, you also have to answer the question "Do Always" or "Just once." It's bad enough having to choose the app every time, but have to confirm that you don't want to set it as default every time is just TOO annoying.

So, to help me reconsider using Jelly Bean, would it be possible for DWP to help solve this problem?

The question I have is, when there are two (or more) Apps available to execute a task, would it be possible for DWP to be able to permanently allow access to either app? As I see it, this could be achieved by selecting the default for the preferred app (DWC, of course), then, in the Long Tap menu, add an option to view using the Stock contact viewer (oe whichever app you configure). This would actually improve the situation on Froyo as well, but especially on Jelly Bean.

Of course it wouldn't solve any of the other really annoying things about JB, but it would certainly solve that one.

Is it possible, please?

Best regards,
Al
Currently (i.e Now, not necessarily the date of this post)
using DW Contacts & Dialer version 2.5.3.0-pro
On Motorola Defy with Android 2.2.2 (Work Phone)
dwp
Site Admin

Re: DWP help for Jelly Bean problems?

Post by dwp »

Hello AlCan
Now you can do this, but it is in the contact details.
This is helpful if you use most of the time DWC as contacts viewer.
In DWC's contact details, press the Menu button to select other contacts viewer. Then you can choose to use the "stock Contacts Software" to open the current contact.

In Jelly Bean you should be able to click twice to open the desired project. This avoids moving your finger to select "Do Always" or "Just once.".
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Hi there DWP,
dwp wrote:Hello AlCan
Now you can do this, but it is in the contact details.
This is helpful if you use most of the time DWC as contacts viewer.
In DWC's contact details, press the Menu button to select other contacts viewer. Then you can choose to use the "stock Contacts Software" to open the current contact.
This is Awesome! Didn't know it was there. Many thanks. I will now Default to DWC Contact Viewer and see how it goes.

Actually, in 2.5.1.0, I get: "Other contact viewer", then I get to choose which but WITHOUT the "Set as default" checkbox.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED, so thank you very much!!! It will make life with Android, whichever version, very much better!
dwp wrote:In Jelly Bean you should be able to click twice to open the desired project. This avoids moving your finger to select "Do Always" or "Just once.".
Ok, I'll give that a go too, now that I know about the 'Other viewer' option!

Excellent work. Maybe now I can put up with the rest of the faults in Jelly Bean...

DWP definitely is the Best!!!

Cheers,
Al
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Hi there DWP,

Okay, I have done that - defaulted to the DWP Contact Viewer to view contacts.

The only trouble is, now the Stock Contact app uses the DWP Contact Viewer as well, instead of the Stock Viewer.

I know I can get around that using the DWP Menu option, but it's a bit strange, I guess.

I guess this means that the DWC Contact Viewer functions as a separate app from DWC.

I wonder if it is possible in Android to create "Shortcuts" to apps like in Windows?

In that case, it would seem like an improvement(??) to make the DWC Contact Viewer a "Hidden" app that only DWP uses, but, if the user wishes (Enables the Setting), could you make the viewer available as a System Contact Viewer (by inserting a shortcut to the DWC viewer in the appropriate place)?

I'm guessing that seems like a step backwards, but wouldn't that be a useful improvement?

Is it possible? Is it easy to do?

Cheers,
AlCan
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Hello, if you need to use only in dwc the dwc contacts viewer. It can be done. dwc through internal link opens contacts viewer. This will dwc losing links to other contacts viewer might. So maybe you need to add a new option.