Missing Contact Editor! - DW should be able to edit contacts

Moderators: dwp, devin

surfturtle

Missing Contact Editor! - DW should be able to edit contacts

Post by surfturtle »

DW contacts has so many cool features but it does'nt have a Contact Edit function. When we need to Add/Edit a contact it uses the ROM's built-in contact/dialer app which is not always adequate for the users of DW contacts.

More than half of the ROMs out there do not support custom fields in contacts and even though DW contacts shows the customs fields it is not possible to edit them.
devin

Re: Missing Contact Editor! - DW should be able to edit cont

Post by devin »

Hello
Thank you for your suggestion, I will try to add in the future.
Jean MW

Post by Jean MW »

I am brand new to DW, so I am a little confused by the issue of the missing contact editor, because I am able to edit my contacts as much as I need to. And if I want to change the name for a phone number, I just select custom and change it to whatever I prefer it to be. So I guess I must not understand the issue. If anyone could explain it to me, I would appreciate it. Thanks, Jean
devin

Post by devin »

Hello
Typically the phone already contains a contact editor. It is part of the system contact software. If you do not have to uninstall or disable it. DWC will use this contact editor.
surfturtle

Post by surfturtle »

devin wrote:Hello
Thank you for your suggestion, I will try to add in the future.
Do you have plans to include Contact Editor anytime soon?
devin

Post by devin »

Sorry, do not have a timetable. Maybe I provides an external editor. So that I can be based on "Andorid open source" development again.
surfturtle

Post by surfturtle »

Thanks an external editor would be great also.

Do you know any standalone external editor?

I want to disable my stock dialer becuase it is too bloated with chinese stuff and just need a simple contact editor becuase everything else is already handled by your wonderful DW Dialer & Contacts
devin

Post by devin »

Note: Disabling the stock software may cause you can not make emergency calls. You need to test.

external editor
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... d.contacts
surfturtle

Post by surfturtle »

devin wrote:Note: Disabling the stock software may cause you can not make emergency calls. You need to test.

external editor
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... d.contacts

Thanks it works perfectly.
devin

Post by devin »

You are welcome!
contrawise

Post by contrawise »

The linked contact editor in this thread is "Contact Editor Free". It appears to be an update of "Contact Editor Pro" - and done by the same guy. I've found Contact Editor Pro to be very useful, and look forward to test driving Contact Editor Free.
contrawise

Post by contrawise »

I have to say - I could swear I've used DW Contacts to edit hundreds of contacts. I clicked on the little pencil, an editor opened in what appeared to be the DW Contacts white-on-black display, and was able to split or combine contacts, and edit any field I chose. At least - that's how it worked on my old Motorola Electrify (Android 2.x). I just replaced it with a Moto X (Android 4.2). Clicking on the pencil now pops a dialog asking me what contact editor I'd like to use. DW Contact is not a choice in the list. Puzzling.
devin

Post by devin »

Hello
Before you use the editor not the DWC provides.
contrawise

Post by contrawise »

I'm sorry - I don't understand your response.
devin

Post by devin »

Hello
the Contact editor you used before, it is not part of the DWC. Should be provided by the system. DWC does not contain contact editor.
GetUnstuckNOW.Org

Re: Missing Contact Editor! - DW should be able to edit contacts

Post by GetUnstuckNOW.Org »

I've read the above responses and it is clear DW uses the built in contact editor to edit contacts.

My built in contact editor is working fine and indeed the built-in contact editor is launched by DW for a new contact...

But then DW Contacts doesn't show the pencil icon (to edit) for any of my existing contacts, even the one just created as above.

Is there a setting within DW to turn this supposed DW default on?

Thanks

Paul
devin

Post by devin »

Hello there
The edit button will be displayed in the contact details if the contact is not read-only.
helgek

Post by helgek »

Editing contacts on Android is a mess. Contact Editor Pro is definitely a relief here though it didn't always seem to work reliably to me. I wish the developers would update the software since it hasn't been update for about 4 years now I believe.

After long search and trying out multiple apps I found another promising option which is True Phone Dialer & Contacts https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... free&hl=de - The editor is rather convenient and seems to be not limited concerning the field types which can be edited.

If I saw it right DW already has a contacts editing feature: I can change the group(s) of a contact directly in DW.

Best,
Helge
saumu

Post by saumu »

Would like to add my voice to this thread to support the addition of this feature to DWP. it would be great if we were able to edit contacts directly in DWP without having to use the systems editor and from some recent reviews on the play store it seems we are not alone in wanting this feature and it appears to be a deal breaker for some users.