Organisations as contact-like objects

Moderators: dwp, devin

SHW82

Organisations as contact-like objects

Post by SHW82 »

Hello together!

First of all (because this is my first post in this forum and I want to stand out the value of your work): big gratulations to the most useful contact-management-system out there!
What I desperately seeked for was a CRM-like contact management, just without the selling stuff. I wanted to have the ability, to easily reach all specific client data an information (which v-cards just can't contain) and document processes (working in the social section). Your DW is the most extended contact-app, which is affordable and doesn't bind its customers by monthly fees nor forces them to synch to foreighn servers. THANKS :-)

So here's my FEATURE REQUEST ;-)

Imagine, you have some coworkers in a specific team, which you describe by a company called TEAM. This could be a project-group or something like this. Each member of TEAM has its own file (the contact you know) containing documents and everything. But now you have docs that don't really belong to ceratin membert but more to TEAM. It would be awesome to be able to link documents to this company.

Further there probably will be meetings and dates, that concern all members (or eventually only members with a certain title?!)... It would be awesome to be able making dates for TEAM, which are also linked to its members (or to its members with that specific role).

A settings-section for each company - just like that you worked out for groups - would be very helpful. Being able to sort organisations hierarchical would be absolutely wonderful. TEAM is a project-group of SECTION, which by itself belongs to ORGANISATION: ORGANISATION->SECTION->TEAM

Thank you a lot for your efforts!

Best regards,
Steffen
Things evolve best for those, that make the best out of how things evolve.
devin

Re: Organisations as contact-like objects

Post by devin »

Hello
Thank you for your suggestion, I'm sorry I bad English, I did not understand at all.
About ORGANISATION-> SECTION-> TEAM
You can use a workaround, create a group ORGANISATION, contain all contacts in this ORGANISATION, then the sub-group contains SECTION like.
Multi-select mode you can quickly complete.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

I think a part of your request is this....

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3694&p=7021#p7025

...which has never been actioned because of backup concerns. I'm not sure if Devin has it on his requirements list. As Devin stated, the rest of it can be achieved by sub-groups within parent groups.
SHW82

Post by SHW82 »

Hey, thanks for your response!

you were right with the other discussion. This was very close to what I meant.

If you are concerned about saving and backuping data, I would like to suggest you to break with the contacts database. This may contain standard data, which is synched with Google etc. For additional information you might concider using MySQL light. You could open universes with that! Synching would be done by ftp or a cloud-provider.

To my original topic!
Imagine you have a company/organisation. This organisation are twenty contacts to. Now, you would have to go to every contact and fill in work address, work phone etc.
imagine that company C has the same abilities as a contact. You have the same tabs for it as you find within every contact.
You give this company its data.
C->adress
C->phone
C->files
Instead of filling the fields for this twenty or even more contacts it would be a GREAT luxuriosity, if this contacts overtake C's data.

Imagine C moves to another location. You would only have to change the address ONCE!
f you had a new file concerning all employees of C you inky would define the link once!

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough before. Did you understand my feature request now?

Best wishes, Steffen
Things evolve best for those, that make the best out of how things evolve.
devin

Post by devin »

.which has never been actioned because of backup concerns. I'm not sure if Devin has it on his requirements list. As Devin stated, the rest of it can be achieved by sub-groups within parent groups.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

One way I envisage you could achieve your objective within the current features....

Set up a GROUP called COMPANY A, this group has one CONTACT called COMPANY A. Within that contact set up all the content, addresses, phones, notes, links etc, relating to that company.
Now set up a GROUP called COMPANY A EMPLOYEES, this group has all the CONTACTS in it, with the bare minimum content relating to a specific employee. Now make COMPANY A EMPLOYEES a SUB-GROUP of COMPANY A. To do this long-press COMPANY A EMPLOYEES and select Edit Group, then set parent group as COMPANY A (you could of course do this when setting up the group).