VCF Export without notes field

Moderators: dwp, devin

helgek

VCF Export without notes field

Post by helgek »

It would be nice to have a switch which allows to disable export of the notes field. This would help in scenarios where one wants to share contact data with other people. Often I have personal information in the notes fields (e.g. how I met the person, specific descriptions of the person) which I don't want to share with others.

Thanks,
Helge
devin

Re: VCF Export without notes field

Post by devin »

Hello, you can use text mode share. We will consider your suggestions, thank you.
Grass

Post by Grass »

helgek wrote:.... which I don't want to share with others.
I am second about it, please, consider to implement it ASAP. Or maybe make Note sharing as an option, please.

Best regards.
Grass

Post by Grass »

devin wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:20 am ... We will consider your suggestions, thank you.
Grass wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:37 pm
helgek wrote:.... which I don't want to share with others.
I am second about it, please, consider to implement it ASAP. Or maybe make Note sharing as an option, please.

Best regards.
Dear developers team members, how are you?

Any news about this very-very usefull feature?
I am sure a lot of DW users missing this feature.

I am holding my breath from Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:20 am.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
helgek

Post by helgek »

Thank you for your responses on this devin and Grass. Sorry, I didn't receive notifications about your posts, I just saw them now. As Grass also confirmed it would be really great if one could e.g. disable sharing of the vcf notes field by default when we share contacts in vcf format. To give you one additional example scenario where this plays a role:
I'm an active member in several associations. Every time a new member joins it would be very handy if I could export all or specific contacts belonging to the association to a vcf file, but without the notes field of course. Like this it would be much easier to onboard new members and give them the opportunity to easily engage.

Thanks,
Helge
Grass

Post by Grass »

2 Helge

As You can see:
Grass wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:30 pm I am holding my breath from Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:20 am.
I don`t dare to advice You to hold your breath :D
The last response of the developers representative was at Mar 02, 2017 :cry:
I am very disapointed. :roll:

All the best.
helgek

Post by helgek »

As this software is really complex I think there are also many enhancement requests. I don't mind it taking some time. But I definetely won't dare to hold my breath that long :-D

I just did some additional testing with iPhone. Interestingly - in contrast to Google with Android - Apple by default doesn't share the notes! Apple even gives you an additional choice to select the fields of a contact you want to share. There's also a software with the name "ContactsXL", somehow following a similar approach like DW, which also offers an extend settings dialog how shared vcard information is set up.

Android once again falls short when it comes to PIM functionality (which doesn't mean at the same time that Apple is great in all regards regarding their PIM software, especially contact groups are missing).
Grass

Post by Grass »

Hi there!

Anybody home? :?: :| :oops:
helgek

Post by helgek »

Hi,

I just wanted to check if this feature is still on your list of enhancements?

Thanks a lot!
Helge
devin

Post by devin »

Sorry, now we mainly do some bug fixes.
Grass

Post by Grass »

devin wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:10 am Sorry, now we mainly do some bug fixes.
Dear devin and developers team, how are you?

Did you manage to fix some bugs from Feb 06, 2018 3:10 am ?
helgek wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:13 pm Hi,

I just wanted to check if this feature is still on your list of enhancements?

Helge
Me too!

All the best!
devin

Post by devin »

The current shared contact via the vcard file is built by the system. If we implement this feature I need to do it myself. This takes more time. I can't put it first in the task list.
helgek

Post by helgek »

Thank you for the update
Grass

Post by Grass »

devin wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:20 pm .... I can't put it first in the task list.
Please, devin, do not put it first in the task list. Put it third in the task list, not even second :P

All the best!
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

Here's a work-around...

Settings/Contact details/Tab settings/tick LINKS

Now in the Contact Details display you have a tab LINKS.

Move all the NOTES content of a Contact into a file, one file for each contact.

Open the LINKS tab for a Contact. Select + at top right then navigate to the file you have set up for that contact. You may have to install a file app such as Total Commander to enable this.
Now that Contact has a link to the Notes, but when the contact is moved to another phone they do not have the file and so the link is not active.
I have used this method for a number of years to contain confidential info about a contact which I do not want to share with other users of the same account (in a small business sharing an a/c for example).
Grass

Post by Grass »

to pollensa1946

Thank You very much for your advice!

Thanks for how to "step-by-step" guide.

In my case this is less effective, because I prefer to display note field in "In call widget" to enable promt access to contact`s specific information.
Anyway, thanks for your trying to help.

I still hope that the developer will find time and will be able to add this option in near future.
devin

Post by devin »

Hello, everyone!
I finished the bottom part, about the user UI. Need to be prompted at each share or fixed on sharing is to avoid exporting notes and export all fields at the time of backup.
helgek

Post by helgek »

Thank you for the news devin! I didn't fully understand what you have now completed and what still needs to be done but I'm definitely very thankful that you worked on this. Best, Helge
Grass

Post by Grass »

helgek wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:38 am ... I didn't fully understand what you have now completed and what still needs to be done
Me too.
helgek wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:38 am.. but I'm definitely very thankful that you worked on this.
Me too!
Best regards!
devin

Post by devin »

Sorry for my bad English.
My question is about the user interface.

My current implementation is:
When the user uses the share menu, the sent vCard file will not contain notes.
When the user uses the export menu, the saved vCard file will contain comments.

Or we need to pop up a dialog box to choose whether to include comments every time the user shares a contact. But this is an interruption to most users.
helgek

Post by helgek »

Thank you devin for the good explanation. Now I understood your way of implementation. Thank you very much that you have already fully implemented it! It's very much appreciated!

When I select multiple contacts and I touch and hold the share icon I'm getting a tooltip "Share contacts". Maybe this could be named "Share contacts (without notes)".

When I touch and hold a single contact it says "Share as vCard". Maybe this could be renamed to "Share as vCard (without notes)". In addition for single contact sharing maybe it would be possible to add another menu item "Share as vCard (including notes)"?

Thanks,
Helge
devin

Post by devin »

Ok, I have released a new version and I implemented it in the next version.
helgek

Post by helgek »

Very much appreciated devin. I look forward to try it out and I will of course give feedback. Thanks again, Helge