[FIXED] Can't add "company" contact (no "person" name)

Moderators: dwp, devin

alvarso

[FIXED] Can't add "company" contact (no "person" name)

Post by alvarso »

Summary: With the latest upgrade (I had not upgraded for a while), I can no longer add a "company only" contact via DW-P, but it does show in the normal contacts.

Steps:
- In DW create a new contact for a "company"
-- ie, "name" (surname/family name) _empty_
-- organization -> + -> Work -> <enter company name>
-- enter phone number, address, etc
-- save
-- Phone says "saving contact"
- The contact *IS* saved in the contact list
BUT
- The contact does NOT show up in the DW-P contacts list
- The contact DOES show in the default contacts application

- If I want to show the new contact in DW-P, I have to enter something in the "personal" name area (surname/family name). But a "company" is not a person!

All my old contacts that were setup as "company only" (about 20-30 of them) DO show up correctly in both DW-P and "contacts", it is only *new* contacts that do not show up in DW-P.

Given that they do show up in Contacts, I'm quite sure this is a problem with DW-P and not with the Android basic system.

Thanks for looking into this! Please let me know if more information is needed.

Alvar

PS, YES, I know I could "just" enter the company name in "surname", but this is both technically wrong, and also something that DW-P is doing differently than the default application, in a bad way. It would be best for DW-P to not force you to use the contacts in a different way than the default application --- it should *enhance* the application, not limit it. Thanks!
camel

Re: Can't add "company" contact (no "person" name)

Post by camel »

this is fixed in new version 2.0.8.
(but it can't be added to the quick-jump list,this is android system limited.
now we must make 3 times more requests, and it is a little bit slower -butcan handle now contacts chicjh are empty.
(be carefull not all contact accounts can handle empty name,so i can not suggestto do this in your way.
therefore - as told several times ->a contact must have a name !!!!
if you ignore this,then you must live with the risk, that somesystemscan'T sync your contacts - is related on sync engines -not on DWC.

the quick-jump list will be created on the sort item. So, if it is set to "lastname, firstname", then the quick-jump list will only having an empty "" data for it.
there is no chance to use a alpha char for "", if there is nothing, then you must take care of it.

PLS: to your question: in stock contacts you can see it -> this is only,because the stock contacts, do not show the list orall name fields, it only use the saveas or any other field, which is generated on creating a contact and is related on contact editor.
if you sort it by "lastname" , then it use the filed "lastname" ->if there is no name, then i can not sort it - so it is at the end ort at the begtinning -a lso related to yur android system.

anyhow, it cost us amount 2 weeks to fix it, and it is now working in 2.0.8
(in my mind, we would had done very very much other good features if we would not take care of this stupid bug. normally in most contact editors you can not create a contact if ther is no name.

and iÄm sorry, but i'm not willing to take care of this in next few month again,and i know, that we lost now verymuch users,only because we haven'T implement much more important other things,what we lost now the timefor it on this fu**ing issue, which is related on android and not on DWC.
next time - google should fix that.

@all:
next,please - i can't hear that again, that user are trying to compare DWC to stock contact.
stock contact do not use all contact fields -soyou only can compare DWC to stock contacts,if both would having the same functionalities

anyhow: IT IS FIXED on 2.0.8

cu camel