[Fixed in 2.1.1] V2.1 New Search not as expected?

Moderators: dwp, devin

AlCan

[Fixed in 2.1.1] V2.1 New Search not as expected?

Post by AlCan »

Hi Camel,

Upgraded to V2.1.0 this morning. (Unfortunately, made a mistake, also updated a couple of other apps - Google Maps & Contact Editor, and now someone is crashing my phone - twice so far today, a hard lockup. Never had this problem before...)

Anyway, tried out the new Search options, but seems not to do quite what I was expecting. It works from Tab Bar > Toolbox > Search but doesn't seem to work the same from Contacts or other places. In Toolbox>Search, it certainly does do complex searches, though I don't think I understand the full power of it yet.

However, from Contacts and other places, search works differently. I'm not sure if that is what was intended? Maybe it is, which I think is a great idea. That would make Toolbox > Search really "Advanced Search", which is very cool to have! But ordinary search is just not quite how I'd like it... :D It's nearly. Is it hard to change?

For example, I have a contact named John Allen. In the Search tab, if I search on "jo+al" I get him and one other contact. Great!

But if I do the same search from the Contacts tab, I get no results. What is happening is that after typing the first letter after the + sign, the search is treating the first part "jo" as a whole word, and will no longer match "john". But if I type "jo+" I get all 40 Johns. It's only when I type the next letter (any letter, even "a" (as in Allen)), that it seems to change to "whole word matching". I found this out because I also have a contact named Jo Cunningham, so if I type "jo+c", I just get the one result. It also does the same if I use a space instead of "+".

It seems as if it only does part word or "contains" matching on the last search string? Can that easily be changed?

Actually, if you could also make it simply treat space as AND, and do 'first letters of name' matching, we would have exactly what baulrich (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2477) wants. Could that be a setting choice - either "first letter matching" or "contains letters anywhere" matching?

The more I think about what baulrich says, the better I like it. As he says, it takes a lot more time to change the keyboard to symbols and back to letters and so forth, but if space was AND, it would work very easily for most searches. If you sometimes need "-" you can swap to symbols. Or, would it work for AND to be space, and NOT to be "."?? That would mean you could do all the most common searches without changing keyboard, from either the Swype or the "multi-touch" keyboard - which I tend to use because it has all I need, including Activate Voice Recognition. If not, never mind. If AND can be Space, that would be great, 99% of the time.

Hopefully, it's not DW that's causing my lockups. If it's Google maps I don't know what I can do! Hard Reset and reinstall only what I need??? Any suggestions on how to narrow it down?

Thanks for a great update, and I look forward to your informative comments as usual.

Best regards,
Al
Currently (i.e Now, not necessarily the date of this post)
using DW Contacts & Dialer version 2.5.3.0-pro
On Motorola Defy with Android 2.2.2 (Work Phone)
camel

Re: V2.1 New Search not as expected?

Post by camel »

AlCan wrote:Hi Camel,

Upgraded to V2.1.0 this morning. (Unfortunately, made a mistake, also updated a couple of other apps - Google Maps & Contact Editor, and now someone is crashing my phone - twice so far today, a hard lockup. Never had this problem before...)

Anyway, tried out the new Search options, but seems not to do quite what I was expecting. It works from Tab Bar > Toolbox > Search but doesn't seem to work the same from Contacts or other places. In Toolbox>Search, it certainly does do complex searches, though I don't think I understand the full power of it yet.
However, from Contacts and other places, search works differently. I'm not sure if that is what was intended? Maybe it is, which I think is a great idea. That would make Toolbox > Search really "Advanced Search", which is very cool to have! But ordinary search is just not quite how I'd like it... :D It's nearly. Is it hard to change?
you can activate the tab "search" -> see settings -> tab settings -> sort & hide

for your understanding and very often described in forum:
tab "search" do searching in every field (notes, birthday, organization, phone, email, etc ...
tab "contacts" do searching only in most important contact fields (firstname, lastname, organization, phone) - if there will be nothing found, then it will give you an option to search "search for anything"(which is then like tab "search")

on tab "search", you can use now +-|
(only there, because it makes the searches slower ..., so this tab "search" is specailly if there are speical user, which are not hapy with t9 or normal search and are needing more details

AlCan wrote: For example, I have a contact named John Allen. In the Search tab, if I search on "jo+al" I get him and one other contact. Great!

But if I do the same search from the Contacts tab, I get no results. What is happening is that after typing the first letter after the + sign, the search is treating the first part "jo" as a whole word, and will no longer match "john". But if I type "jo+" I get all 40 Johns. It's only when I type the next letter (any letter, even "a" (as in Allen)), that it seems to change to "whole word matching". I found this out because I also have a contact named Jo Cunningham, so if I type "jo+c", I just get the one result. It also does the same if I use a space instead of "+".

It seems as if it only does part word or "contains" matching on the last search string? Can that easily be changed?
space is the same as "+"
but how do you make NOT with a space ? - therfore it is new now: +-|
the search updating will be recalculated after every char input...real time ....
if you search for "JO" -> you will search for all "JO"
if you input jo+ ... nothing will happen, because you must enter also more input ...it is the same as "JO"
if you imput then "JO+C" it will search for a contact, which is having: JO in 1 field AND in another one must be "C", there.
here again:
+ = AND
- = AND NOT
| = OR
" "(space = +
it also works:
jo+c
or:
jo + c
or
jo c
all are doing a asearch for "JO" and "C" in a field
the same is for - or |
AlCan wrote:
Actually, if you could also make it simply treat space as AND, and do 'first letters of name' matching, we would have exactly what baulrich (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2477) wants. Could that be a setting choice - either "first letter matching" or "contains letters anywhere" matching?

The more I think about what baulrich says, the better I like it. As he says, it takes a lot more time to change the keyboard to symbols and back to letters and so forth, but if space was AND, it would work very easily for most searches. If you sometimes need "-" you can swap to symbols. Or, would it work for AND to be space, and NOT to be "."?? That would mean you could do all the most common searches without changing keyboard, from either the Swype or the "multi-touch" keyboard - which I tend to use because it has all I need, including Activate Voice Recognition. If not, never mind. If AND can be Space, that would be great, 99% of the time.

Hopefully, it's not DW that's causing my lockups. If it's Google maps I don't know what I can do! Hard Reset and reinstall only what I need??? Any suggestions on how to narrow it down?

Thanks for a great update, and I look forward to your informative comments as usual.

Best regards,
Al
camel

Re: V2.1 New Search not as expected?

Post by camel »

in 2.1.1 it is working fine - i'm sure, that you will like it, because then you can search for: FIRST + COMPANY
like:
BILMICR = BILl Gates MICRosoft
cu camel
AlCan

Re: [Fixed in 2.1.1] V2.1 New Search not as expected?

Post by AlCan »

Great!

I look forward to the release of 2.1.1.

Will you be able to extend that later to FIRST + LAST + COMPANY? That's what the other guy (baulrich) wants, and I can see the value of it too, though it probably won't be my preferred search method.

I think it requires a second (ok, third) query (is that right), but playing about with the current search system, on my phone at least, I don't think speed will be a problem. Anyway, that will be great for now, just fit it in as you can.

<b>I'm currently finding the Organisation Tab to be the best place to start</b>, as it shortens the list of choices very quickly. In practice, it may actually be much quicker than baulrich's method... I can probably find the right organisation (sub-list) with just two or three keys, then tap the Org, then the contact... Easy! Simple! Fast!

I'm just lovin' DWC.

Your efforts are much appreciated.

Best regards,
Al
Currently (i.e Now, not necessarily the date of this post)
using DW Contacts & Dialer version 2.5.3.0-pro
On Motorola Defy with Android 2.2.2 (Work Phone)
camel

Re: [Fixed in 2.1.1] V2.1 New Search not as expected?

Post by camel »

AlCan wrote:Great!
Will you be able to extend that later to FIRST + LAST + COMPANY? That's what the other guy (baulrich) wants, and I can see the value of it too, though it probably won't be my preferred search method.
I think it requires a second (ok, third) query (is that right), but playing about with the current search system, on my phone at least, I don't think speed will be a problem. Anyway, that will be great for now, just fit it in as you can.
Al
it is working on tab "search to do it like:
all cases:
FIRST+COMP
FIRST+LAST+COMP
FIRST+LAST
LAST+COMP
you can do it with space or without sapce - no different

but the finest - it is also working now on t9-search: (and + is not needed) - i like this:
like: (with digits)
FIRSTLAST
FIRCOM
LASTFIRCOMP
(all combinations)
todo this: you have to setup:
in t9-search:
matrch first letter.
allow to skip words
use organnization
(also extra in new version: there is now a "Show match the first" show result at first)

and now 7 different actions, which can be used for phone, all other list views + different also for grid view - this can now be setup :)
cu camel