[Search Anything] problem

Moderators: dwp, devin

AlCan

[Search Anything] problem

Post by AlCan »

Hi DWP,

I don't use Search very often, so I don't know if this is a new problem or not.

If I select my Contacts tab, tap the Search icon in the top bar, then type in a Search string (say, any old nonsense, e.g zfghjkl) using the keypad, and I get no result, "Search anything" appears.

If I tap on the "Search anything" bar, the original search string gets loaded into the new Advanced Search entry box - this is good! However, if I close out of the Advanced Search window using the Android return button, I go straight back to my Contacts tab.

Or, if I clear out the Advanced Search string (using the [X] icon), the Full Contact list is displayed. When I close out of that, I go back to my Contacts tab.

But, either way, the Contacts tab is now displaying the empty Search Results, and only says "No items to display". There are no contacts displayed...

(And if I then tap on the Quick Jump [A-Z] icon, I get a message "The current state does not support". Could you maybe reword this to "Not available for current list" as it's better English, and also explains the reason? And it's shorter!)

Anyway, the way to reactivate the Contacts list isn't that obvious. Closing the app doesn't fix it. I have found two way so far: You have to (Re-)Open the Advanced Search tab, and clear the previous search.

Or, you have to go back into the Quick Search window, then "clear" the 'invisible' search string. As there is no Search string visible in the entry box, only the half-grey "Search in Contacts" prompt string, it doesn't seem obvious. Backspace or Return don't fix it.

The only way I've found is to type in another search character (can even be a space) or string, THEN close the Search window. Then everything seems to be back to normal.

Could you have a look at that, please?

Otherwise, it's still the BEST.

Cheers,
Al
Currently (i.e Now, not necessarily the date of this post)
using DW Contacts & Dialer version 2.5.3.0-pro
On Motorola Defy with Android 2.2.2 (Work Phone)
dwp
Site Admin

Re: [Search Anything] problem

Post by dwp »

Hello
This problem has been corrected in 2.2.5.
Please try again.
"Not available for current list" - For both the Grid view. More general wording it? When the list is not alphabetical order, it does not work.
Thank you.
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Hi dwp,
dwp wrote:This problem has been corrected in 2.2.5.
Strange. I'm running 2.2.5. Only noticed this since installing it, but could have been there a long time. Maybe I need to reinstall. Or could be a Settings problem. Will try a Default settings and see if it goes away.
dwp wrote:"Not available for current list" - For both the Grid view. More general wording it?
Yes, I think it would be good for Grid view also. Does the message only appear when the list (or grid) is empty?

If that's true, then it might be better to say "Not possible for empty list". Shorter still, but even more informative.

I have thought about it a bit but haven't yet found a word that suits both grid and list better than list. Arguably, a grid is still a form of list, but not the other way around.

If there's a better word, it'll probably come to me later.

Cheers,
Al
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Hi again...

Yes, it's related to Settings.

When I restore to Default settings, I no longer get the "Search anything" option. Just "No items to display" so I can't test for the problem.

I can't see how to bring that back. Is there a setting to enable Offer Advanced Search when Quick Search gives no results? Can't find it...

Will play more later, maybe.

BTW, I see you also added the "User Check" popup before doing a Restore Default settings! Very Good! Thanks.

The product just keeps getting better and Better!

Cheers!
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Hi
Thanks.
Click on the Settings button to the left of the search bar. Deselect Search all fields. Then you can see the button.
http://wiki.dw-p.net/DWC:How_to_use_the_search
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Hi dwp,
dwp wrote:Click on the Settings button to the left of the search bar. Deselect Search all fields. Then you can see the button.
Ok, I did that. Now Search anything appears.

But the fault is still the same. Follow this procedure to test.

As above, deselect Search all fields.
Select Contacts tab.
Tap the Search icon (Magnifying glass).
Type in some irregular characters, e.g: zfghjkl
Wait for Search to show: Search anything
Tap Search anything.
Wait for Search to complete, and show: No items to display.
Press Android Return button. (Keypad will close. Search window remains at No items to display.)
Press Android Return button.
Contacts Tab will now reappear, but will still say: No items to display.

This is the fault.

The only way to restore the Contacts list is to restart a Search, type in a character, then close the Search with Android Return.

Hope you get this same result!

Cheers,
Al
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Thank you, I've tested this problem.I will correct it in the new version.