[FIXED]6741 contacts will crash the app

Moderators: dwp, devin

peter733

[FIXED]6741 contacts will crash the app

Post by peter733 »

Dear Dev (developers),

my samsung galaxy S with android 2.1.1 has 6741 contacts. most of them have photos and 'a lot of' notes. most notes cannot be edited on the phone because of the maximum capacity. most notes are created from the web, via this link

https://mail.google.com/mail/?labs=0&sh ... [u]contact[/u][/b]/22775c830af41a5b

i would like to report a bug that upon loading the app 'DW Contact', it always show a black screen for approximately 1-3 minutes, and then it will show the options to either (1) Force Close or (2) Wait.

it seems that the app will try to load all 6741 contacts. that's why it will show a black screen and it will take a long time before i see something on the screen

i'm familiar with aLogcat, error log dump, etc.
camel

Re: Bug: 6741 contacts will crash the app

Post by camel »

peter733 wrote:Dear Dev (developers),

my samsung galaxy S with android 2.1.1 has 6741 contacts. most of them have photos and 'a lot of' notes. most notes cannot be edited on the phone because of the maximum capacity. most notes are created from the web, via this link

you can try "Contact Editor++" or "Contact Editor"(free) on market, maybe this app can do more ...

as you told - the android system is limited to space of mem, slow db, etc.., if you have 7000 contacts ... not sure if you really need all of them ?
normally often much user are having 1.000 contacts, but only 600 are having a phone number, then you can seup in "DW Contact & Phone", that only contacts with phone numbers will be shown ..., which save a lot of memory on phone.
peter733 wrote: i would like to report a bug that upon loading the app 'DW Contact', it always show a black screen for approximately 1-3 minutes, and then it will show the options to either (1) Force Close or (2) Wait.
it seems that the app will try to load all 6741 contacts. that's why it will show a black screen and it will take a long time before i see something on the screen
Sure the appication must load all informations from all contacts, and if you have set in settings, that on all contacts, you want to see "contact pictures", "SMS icon", "Phone icon", special sort order, special display of contacts(show contacts as LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME,etc), then it will need a lot of space ...and not sure, which device you have ...then all data will be loaded, checking if the contact have a valid phone number (for phone + sms icon), checking contact picture + loading the pictures, + sort as you like it + display as you setup, etc ...
After this "first start" it will be faster, because it is loaded in memory or will be cached to cache partion.

Well, why it hangs can have multiple reason:
a.) you have not enough space/memory left for application -> please check free memory before starting and after starting ..
b) which device do you have ?
c) maybe your local db is corrupt ? or maybe there are corrupted contacts ? therefore we would need your help:
1) please can you create 2 new google accounts - and split your 7000 contacts (copy 3500 to every account)
2.) then configure account 1(with the new 3500 contacts), and then try DW contacts again (be sure, that you disable the old google account - or best would be - removed it from phone or dissable it) and let me know your testing ..

if this works, make the same game with the account 2 (where the other 3500 contacts) and let me know your testing ..

PLS: if have here 950 contacts with ~50 contact pictures -> and it take ~1,5seconds (and use 8MB RAM)
(i have device samsung SGS i9000)

thanks for your help.
cu camel
camel

Post by camel »

i imported now 8.000 contacts with ~ 120 pictures ...
so, in summary i have now on this 1 account -> 10.000 contacts.
and DW contacts & Phone can them handly very well, and also very fast (~2,5sec) to open the applciation (only on first start), because if it is in mem, then it is JUST-IN-TIME.

are there ayn news, why it was not working on your side ?
please keep me informed, because - i know now- it is also working for 10.contacts :) (and there is no limitation in DW Contacts)

cu camel
camel

Post by camel »

peter733 wrote:Dear Dev (developers),

i would like to report a bug that upon loading the app 'DW Contact', it always show a black screen for approximately 1-3 minutes, and then it will show the options to either (1) Force Close or (2) Wait.

i'm familiar with aLogcat, error log dump, etc.
does it works for you after a fresh install ? (because tried over 10.000 contacs which is also working on my device, so i think the problem must be not a limit of contacts, maybe some contats are broken ?
please let me know, if it is fixed for you now.

cu camel
camel

Re: 6741 contacts will crash the app

Post by camel »

please try it again with new version.
should be better optimized, and tested and is working fine.
can you confirm it ?