Not all contacts being displayed by default on Samsung S3

Moderators: dwp, devin

markam1955

Not all contacts being displayed by default on Samsung S3

Post by markam1955 »

I have recently changed from using the Samsung Galaxy S2 to the S3, and have an issue with DW Contacts.

When I sync my Outlook contacts with the S2, all contacts are visible from the default "Contacts" tab on DW Contacts.
But on the S3, only a sub-set of the contacts are visible (around 800 of the 4500 total). The only way to view all contacts is through the "Groups" tab, and then "All Contacts". As a matter of interest around 4400 of the 4500 total are ungrouped, and appear as such on both the S2 and S3.

Both the standard Samsung Contacts, and the GO Contacts apps show the full 4500 contacts, so what can be causing DW Contacts not to ?

thanks and regards, Mark
dwp
Site Admin

Re: Not all contacts being displayed by default on Samsung S

Post by dwp »

Hello Mark
Please refer to here. http://wiki.dw-p.net/DWC:I_can_not_see_all_my_contacts
I think we should modify the Contact display filtering
If this does not solve the problem. Please try to add all of your contacts to a group.
markam1955

Post by markam1955 »

I did look at the post you mentioned, but it doesn't seem to be related to filtering. All Accounts are checked, and even contacts without phone numbers should be being displayed.

When I look at Settings/Account data on the S3, the Account vnd.sec.contact.phone contains the majority of the contacts which are being displayed ... so around 750 or so. On the S2, this Account hold the full 4000 + contacts I have ...

So I guess the question now is what would cause only a percentage of my contacts to be in the Account vnd.sec.contact.phone on the S3 ?

regards, Mark
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Hello
Sorry for the delay.
In Group TAB
Open all contact group
Here you can see all of your contacts?
markam1955

Post by markam1955 »

Yes ... when I select All Contacts on the S3 in the Group Tab it does indeed show me them all.
But on the S2, I can see them all just from the Contacts Tab.

Another thing I have noticed is that when I sync my contacts with Kies, the number of contacts shown from Outlook Contacts is greater than the number than end up on the S2 or S3, but the number are same for both devices.

The difference is only small ... 20 or 30 perhaps, but finding which ones are missing amongst the 4000+ contacts I have is a challenge :)

Thanks, Mark
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Hello
Whether the contacts are merged into one contact. This leads to reduction in the number of contacts.
chrisk

Post by chrisk »

Hi,

It seems this has not really been registered as a bug. Maybe it is not 100% DW-Contacts' fault, but the problem still exists.

I have developped a SyncAdapter on my own for my business. I can see all my contacts in the People application (default contact app on vanilla Jelly Bean), no problem. In DW-Contacts, I can see only those that are aggregated to contacts from other accounts. Or I can use the group-view and select All Contacts.

So the symptoms are identical with what has been described here.

Obviously, there is a difference in the way my SyncAdapter presents itself to the system or in the way it stores the contacts in the Android contacts database, but I have no idea what it could be.

Note that another contact application, Contacts+, is having the same problem. But yet other contact applications (like Copy Contacts) see all my contacts, no problem.

I am ready to help analyse this issue. One way would be for you to give me the query you do on the contacts-content-provider for the contact view. This way I may be able to reproduce the problem and hopefully both understand what is different with my SyncAdapter and also why DW-Contacts does not see them while other apps do.

Hope you can help.

Thanks - Christian
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Hi Christian
Please refer to here. Contact TAB display only Contact with this flag as 1.
http://developer.android.com/reference/ ... IBLE_GROUP
Because of this?