Contact List Phone Number Swipe broken

Moderators: dwp, devin

AlCan

Contact List Phone Number Swipe broken

Post by AlCan »

Hi DWP,

I'm surprised that no one seems to have reported this issue yet.

Since the latest update (2.5.1.0-pro), this feature no longer functions.

To demonstrate, open your Contacts List. Find a contact with multiple phone numbers, as shown like below:
  • Contact Name
    <Mobile:012 345 6789>
    [Company Name][Title][Groups]
- for example, as I have my DWP set up.

(The < and > around the phone number indicate multiple numbers for a contact.)

Previously, swiping Left to Right on the phone number line would "rotate" to that contact's next phone number. You could then press Dial, when the right number is showing.

Now, what I get is an expanding Purple block, which expands behind my finger, showing the already displayed contact phone number. Then, when I release my finger, DWP then simply initiates Dialling the number that was displayed. This isn't how it used to be and is also not particularly useful, as far as I can see. I have a Dial button for that! Now, I have to view the contact in order to choose a number other than the default.

I see now that it's a new "feature" called "Slide to dial" in the Recent Changes list, but it appears to have destroyed the old feature which I used a lot and found very useful. This seems to defeat the whole benefit of having multiple numbers for one contact.

However, although I have looked through the Settings, I can't find a way to revert this behaviour.

I agree that it provides an improved way to dial - or at least, another way to reduce accidental wrong dialling - which I used to do all the time - but I turned on "Dialing confirmation" to fix that and much prefer it to this new feature. Otherwise, how can you select a different number to dial without having to first view the entire contact (which involves extra steps and so is slower)? This feature seems only useful to people who only have one phone number per contact.

Since I have many contacts with multiple numbers, and 95% of my phone communication is by phone call rather than TXT or Skype, this feature is important to me as a Business user.

Can I have the old feature back, please? A new setting would probably be required, of course.

Many thanks,
Al
Currently (i.e Now, not necessarily the date of this post)
using DW Contacts & Dialer version 2.5.3.0-pro
On Motorola Defy with Android 2.2.2 (Work Phone)
dwp
Site Admin

Re: Contact List Phone Number Swipe broken

Post by dwp »

Hi Al
I will add a new setting in the next version.
Now you can switch numbers. First, slide to the right. Then slide up or the bottom. If the slide right enough, you can see the upcoming dialed.
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Hi DWP,
dwp wrote: I will add a new setting in the next version.
Great, thanks!
dwp wrote: Now you can switch numbers. First, slide to the right. Then slide up or the bottom.
Ok, that's helpful, thanks! Now, I see the little up and down arrows on contacts with multiple numbers! Very nice.

However, I don't find it good to use. I have to slide a long way up for each number, so my screen is not high enough for some contacts. And, if you let go at the wrong place, you end up dialling anyway. I still prefer the old way.

Could I request that if there are future changes to DWP that change features like this, that the new feature has to be purposefully switched on - unless it is radically better than the old feature? In other words, keep DWP operating as the User had his installation configured, when a version is updated, so that if he wants to turn that feature on, he can, but his DWP will still work like it used to if he doesn't.

Of course, the Fresh Install settings can have these new features defaulted to On, so that new users get a different experience, but your loyal already paid users get to keep DWP as they like it and know it. And so that we don't have to post to the forum to ask for the original DWP features to be put back again?

This brings me to a different point. I keep customer fax numbers in my phone as well, as you never know when you might need them. Also, some customers call me from their fax lines, so you can still see who is calling if you have the fax number saved. However, it's very rare that you would want to voice call a fax number. So, would it be possible to omit any number with "fax" in the description from the number scroll list, but of course still show it in View Contact? (I say "with 'fax' in the description" because I have some customers with more than one fax number - "local" and "accounts", for example - so it would need to exclude anything with the "fax" string in the description.) Yeah, some people still use faxes, I think it's because Banks still trust them for signed documents, though I don't know why.

Thanks again for providing the world with DWP, the best Android Contact Management system there is!

Regards,
Al
Currently (i.e Now, not necessarily the date of this post)
using DW Contacts & Dialer version 2.5.3.0-pro
On Motorola Defy with Android 2.2.2 (Work Phone)
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Hello Al
Thank you for your suggestion.
I will improve it. I want a list of the user sliding left or right. Then displays all phone numbers. Users can select one.
Galah

Post by Galah »

I also agree the new "swipe right then up" to get a popup of phone numbers is annoying. The old mechanism of swiping to change phone numbers worked well. Perhaps just swiping on a contact will bring up all phone numbers would make a better interface?
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Hello
In the new version has added the option to return to the old behavior. Also modify the UI
Attachments
device-2013-06-28-110238.png
device-2013-06-28-110238.png (195.47 KiB) Viewed 2535 times