Backup/Restore problem.

Moderators: dwp, devin

pollensa1946

Backup/Restore problem.

Post by pollensa1946 »

DWP Restore does not fully restore Contact fields...

I experienced a bad Sync Error between my phone and my Google account. The end result was that my Contacts were very badly corrupted at both ends. Multiple missing contacts, multiple duplicates and multiple nonconformities between phone and Google. My only option was to attempt a total recovery.
I had a Windows backup in the form of a Google.CSV file. Also a full backup on the phone using DWP (contacts.VCF). However, I see a serious problem...

The Google.CSV file does not allow for recovery of contact photos. The DWP backup will recover photos but not custom phone, email and website labels. Almost all my contacts have custom labels, example...

John's Mobile nnnn...

Jack's Mobile nnnn...

Jill's Mobile nnnn...

Google CSV recovers these properly, the DWP restore changes these to Mobile, Other, Work etc. Since these custom labels are valuable to me I have recovered via Google on the PC and have lost all my photos. It will take some considerable manual effort to fix this.

Is it possible to fix the DWP recovery so that it handles custom labels properly?
devin

Re: Backup/Restore problem.

Post by devin »

Hello
Restore contacts from DW will lead to a new contact is created. So you need to remove all Google contacts. Then restored.
You can use the Gmail contact manager, contact database restore to a previous state someday.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

That's exactly what I did. I removed all the contacts from the phone and restored from the DWP backup. It did not restore the customised labels. Which is not sensible. Why enable customised labels that cannot be restored. I used the PC GMail backup to restore the contacts, complete with customised labels. It works on the PC but not on the DWP phone backup. Unfortunately I did not have PC backup of my contact photos, which caused me lots of work to find and restore. The DWP backup is not a complete backup if it cannot restore customised labels, which are enabled in the app but cannot be restored.
devin

Post by devin »

Thank you, I check the code and found it just supports English alphabet custom label.
I will solve this problem in the next version.
devin

Post by devin »

Hello
I have uploaded a new file to http://dw-p.net/dl/DW-Contacts-Phone-test.apk
If possible, please try if it works?
Thank you!
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

devin wrote:...it just supports English alphabet custom label...
I am using only English language so I don't understand why I had a problem restoring.
devin wrote:...I have uploaded a new file...please try if it works...
I am very sorry I cannot help on this occasion. I spent many hours restoring my contacts, I am reluctant to risk them by testing out a beta.
devin

Post by devin »

Hello
You do not need to delete all your contacts, you only need to export a contact to the V Card, and then import it again.
If the custom label only the letters in the old version can back up and restore, I tested on my phone. Use a text editor to open the V Card you can see them?
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

OK, I downloaded the beta and installed on my phone. I exported a single contact to a vcf file and then imported that file. The import was a blank contact, no photo, no contact details.
devin

Post by devin »

Import and export are using the new version of the software?
Multi-select mode, select a contact. Export to V Card.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

The first test above I used your beta. As I said...
pollensa1946 wrote:OK, I downloaded the beta and installed on my phone. I exported a single contact to a vcf file and then imported that file. The import was a blank contact, no photo, no contact details.
For a second test I used the new level you released yesterday. It restored the contact, photo and details, but the custom labels were not restored. Which is no surprise since when I look at the VCF file with an editor the custom labels are not there, they have not been exported.

Here's the original numbers & URL on the phone...

+34 609 nnn nnn
Emergency Mobile - 24/7 (custom label)

+34 971 nnn nnn
Office

+34 971 nnn nnn
Emergency - Office

http://www.amrentals.es/
Apartment & Villa Rental

Here's those numbers & URL in the exported VCF...

TEL;:+34609nnnnnn
TEL;X-Office:+34971nnnnnn
TEL;:+34971nnnnnn

URL:http://www.amrentals.es/ (there are no labels in the VCF for URLs)
devin

Post by devin »

Surprisingly, it worked for me.
Attachments
VCard test.vcf.zip
(336 Bytes) Downloaded 129 times
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

Is the export/import completely within the control of DWP, or is some of it under the phone software control? Could this be the particular phone model?
devin

Post by devin »

Thanks! I will check.