History versus Frequently Called Displays bug.

Moderators: dwp, devin

pollensa1946

History versus Frequently Called Displays bug.

Post by pollensa1946 »

This bug is similar to the one I described here...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3894

Contact A Primary (Home) Number = 1234

Contact B Primary (Mobile) Number = 5678 Secondary (Home Number) = 1234

(1) I go into Contact Details for A and select the primary number, 1234. The countdown/confirmation screen appears showing the correct contact details and photo for A. However, when the dial-out screen appears it shows the wrong details and photo for B. At the conclusion of the call the History display shows a correct entry for Contact A, but the Frequently Called display shows a wrong entry for Contact B.

(2) I go into Contact Details for B and select the secondary number, 1234. The countdown/confirmation screen appears showing the wrong contact details and photo for A. However, when the dial-out screen appears it shows the correct details and photo for B. At the conclusion of the call the History display shows a wrong entry for Contact A, but the Frequently Called display shows a correct entry for Contact B.

(3) If I use the stock Android Contacts to repeat the sequence in (1) then the same result occurs except that History again shows the correct A entry but Frequently Contacted shows entries for both contacts A and B.

This is very confusing when trying to assess what numbers you have called.
devin

Re: History versus Frequently Called Displays bug.

Post by devin »

This feature, find contacts in the database by phone number. There is no good solution.
How do you want it to work?
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

devin wrote:This feature, find contacts in the database by phone number. There is no good solution.
I guessed that was how it was working and could see why the problem occurred.
devin wrote:How do you want it to work?
I can see that there is no easy solution to accommodate all types of call while correctly tracking the contact details...
1) Initiated from Contact Details.
2) Initiated from Dialer.
3) Incoming call.

I can adopt a solution by deleting the secondary number in contact B and instead putting the information in the Notes section. That is not ideal since there are many cases of two different contacts who have different mobile numbers but live together and share the same home number.
devin

Post by devin »

For incoming calls, and direct call number, there is no solution. Since we first know the number, instead of the Contact ID. Sometimes Contact ID will change, when we save contacts ID to call log, it will also run into problems.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

Thinking about this some more I realise I am only concerned about outgoing calls which originate from the specific Contact Listing or from within the Contact Details. In this case you know the actual Contact and can record that record at the beginning of the action and correctly enter it in Frequents and History. For incoming calls or calls dialed from the dialer then I realise the number is shared and the record is not necessarily correct.
devin

Post by devin »

I will try to improve, but a problem is the contact ID sometimes change.