Addresses shown as UNKNOWN.

Moderators: dwp, devin

pollensa1946

Addresses shown as UNKNOWN.

Post by pollensa1946 »

I have hundreds of contacts all of which were entered via the PC Windows version of Google Contacts in order to ensure the ADDRESS conformed to the Google template and so were properly shown in the ADDRESS tab of DW. Now DW shows most of those addresses as UNKNOWN on Country/City/County etc. On inspecting the PC Windows version I discover that Google have completely changed the format of the template. For example it is no longer possible to enter some of the info other than selecting via a drop-down. So I am compelled to select United Kingdom rather than type in Scotland, England etc (which are not on the list for selection). This might explain why DW is reporting them as UNKNOWN. Confusingly different versions of DW on different devices show different numbers of UNKNOWNS. The previous system was excellent in that I could quickly find a contact simply (for example) by knowing which country they lived/worked in.
Is there a fix for this?
pollensa1946

Re: Addresses shown as UNKNOWN.

Post by pollensa1946 »

Curiously some addresses in England and Scotland are shown correctly as being in those countries. Others in those countries are shown as being in the UK, despite no reference to the UK in their addresses. Most are shown as unknown. It appears that the new Google template has confused DW into acting arbitrarily in interpreting addresses.
devin

Post by devin »

Hello
Fields such as country, city, etc. are included in the contact database. They are stored as text. DW contacts just read the data for aggregation. The display is unknown because the corresponding field does not hold any data.
To achieve this, the contact editor can edit each field separately, or the editor can automatically resolve the address to the corresponding field. Different from different phones, it may be related to the synchronization program.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

Google changing the address template seems to have thrown the resolution of addresses into complete confusion. So much so that the ADDRESS tab is now useless. I have resorted to forming GROUPS for each country, and cities, to give quick access to contacts.