Contact Organisations

Moderators: dwp, devin

Andy-D

Contact Organisations

Post by Andy-D »

Hi,

Have recently purchased the Pro version and have a question (problem) with reference to organisations.

I have a few contacts that only have a organisation name and do not have any "name" fields.
Whilst these display Ok in the contact list, the A-Z search function does not work for those organisatins without any name filelds.
An example of this is an entry for Vet... if I have no other V entries when I select the A-Z function I do not see V. Also when I have the alphabet dividers, V will not show.
I have tried various sort orders with no luck and I do not want to put the organisation in a name field to make it work....

Any ideas???
camel

Re: Contact Organisations

Post by camel »

Andy-D wrote:Hi,

Have recently purchased the Pro version and have a question (problem) with reference to organisations.

I have a few contacts that only have a organisation name and do not have any "name" fields.
Whilst these display Ok in the contact list, the A-Z search function does not work for those organisatins without any name filelds.
An example of this is an entry for Vet... if I have no other V entries when I select the A-Z function I do not see V. Also when I have the alphabet dividers, V will not show.
I have tried various sort orders with no luck and I do not want to put the organisation in a name field to make it work....

Any ideas???
hi,
yes, the idea is: if you only have contacts, which are having no names, then you will not find them - or in list it will not show them.
also no divider or also no quick-jump letter.

normally, often user are dealing with contacts, to write only on lastname or frstname, and not filling both fields (often only o1 name known ...)

so, if you want to show/sort your contacts for firstname -> then firstname should be filled

if you enter now a company - then a good idea would be to enter:
enter company name into field: firstname + enter company name into field: company name.

because if you don't do that, you can also get problems with outlook, MEAS or whatever ...

- - - -

you have to know, DWc is using the database fields (not a global display name, like as it is on most system, which then not capable to sort for firstname,or lastname ...-> so if you sort for "nickname", but there are no nickname, then you will not have a divider, because the divider line -> will only be done, if nickname is filled in, which will be reading from database.
the same is for organization,
DWC can not say, if there is no lastname or no firstname, then use ????? which field should be used then ? nickname ? organization ? title ?

typically we are using in europe - mostly display: "lastname, firstname" and sort by "lastname" ... so you can see the priority is the lastname here ....
so,if i add an contact where i only have firstname or only nickname or only organzation name, i put then it lastname
if i get later the full name, then i correct it ...

for your example: organization: i would do that like:
1.) fill in the organization name into "lastname" and also into "organization" field
then it is working fine.

PLS: you can not require from DWC, that it should sort by lastname, if there is no lastname ...
clearly ? agree ?

cu camel
Andy-D

Post by Andy-D »

Thank you for your reply. I understand the situation.
My problem with putting the Company name in the First Name or Surname field is that it would make the display in Outlook look strange (I sync between Outlook and Google).

Could you not Sort on the File As field... or is this a that is only available in Outlook and not Google??

camel

Post by camel »

Andy-D wrote:Thank you for your reply. I understand the situation.
My problem with putting the Company name in the First Name or Surname field is that it would make the display in Outlook look strange (I sync between Outlook and Google).

Could you not Sort on the File As field... or is this a that is only available in Outlook and not Google??

well, you can setup to use the "system" sort, then it will use the system field.

but in DWC - you can setup to show("display as") your contacts as "lastname, firstname" or "firstname lastname"
so, we can sort this for lastname or firstname (because we are using the correct fields)
if someone is now using non of this fileds ... well - noone should shot us.

sure, we can add a logic: like:
1.) if no firstname + lastname is given -> then use lastname for firstname (if sorted by firstname)
2.) if firstname + no lastname is given -> then use firstname for lastname (if sorted by lastname)
3.) if firstname + no lastname is given -> then use firstname for nickname (if sorted by nickname)
4.) if no firstname + lastname is given -> then use lastname for nickname (if sorted by nickname)
5.) if no firstname + no lastname + middle name is given -> then use middle name for nickname (if sorted by nickname)
6.) if no firstname + no lastname + no middle name + organization name is given -> then use organization name for nickname (if sorted by nickname)
7.) if no firstname + no lastname + organization name is given -> then use organization name for lastname (if sorted by lastname)
8.) if no firstname + no lastname + organization name is given -> then use organization name for firstname (if sorted by firstname)
9.) ....
and i am sure, there are 20 other cases ...

so, if we would now add all this logical cases ... do you think, that the application would be slower or faster ?
then you can maybe answer the next question:
should we now handle such kind of wrong contact usage ?

cu camel

EDIT: next is: we can rewrite the whole database of all contacts, so, that the display name (which will be done on syncing, where we can not take care of it) _> we could rewrite the whole database, if user are chaning the "display contacts as", but this would mean, that it would make a resync of all changed contacts (every time you change the sort method or you change the "display contacts as"). so and not sure, if user would like that ....

or what do you mean ?