Merge call log

Moderators: dwp, devin

nstong

Merge call log

Post by nstong »

I use the Call Log tab almost exclusively and have a two-parter request:

1. I would like it if the merge call log could merge all calls to/from a contact, regardless of which number used. Currently, the same contact will show up multiple times, each with its own number. Adds clutter & makes it take longer to browse the history.

2. A great feature of DWP is the ability to swipe between phone numbers on the Favorites and Contacts tab. It would be ideal if this feature were available on the Call Log tab. Seems like a logical extension if #1 above is implemented. An alternative would be the option to add a prompt when hitting the dial button for which number to call.

Thanks!
camel

Re: Merge call log

Post by camel »

hi,
nstong wrote:I use the Call Log tab almost exclusively and have a two-parter request:

1. I would like it if the merge call log could merge all calls to/from a contact, regardless of which number used. Currently, the same contact will show up multiple times, each with its own number. Adds clutter & makes it take longer to browse the history.
this is possible.
you can setup the tab "phone" and history seperate from each other, how it should be displayed.
for phone -> see: settings -> phone settings -> merge call log, divider by date, show counter of merged call logs, and so on ...
for history -> see: settings -> detailed view settings -> history settings -> merge call log, divider by date, show counter of merged call logs, and so on ...
nstong wrote: 2. A great feature of DWP is the ability to swipe between phone numbers on the Favorites and Contacts tab. It would be ideal if this feature were available on the Call Log tab. Seems like a logical extension if #1 above is implemented. An alternative would be the option to add a prompt when hitting the dial button for which number to call.

Thanks!
normally, 90% of user are not using the "history", and they hide it (tabs can be sorted and hide as youlike: see settings -> tab settings
because, the call log ist is also possible to set it as visible in "phone" tab

for your explaination:
if you click on the name field of a call log item on tab "Phone" -> then it will "show contact"
if you click on the name field of a call log item on tab "History" -> then it will "show call log detail"

also, if wanted, you can setup the phone, that it will ask you for confirmation before dialing
see: settings -> phone settings -> "Confirm before dialing"

as you can see, all your wishes are inplace, it only needs to look through the settings, if anything is needed.

hope this informations are helping you

cu camel
nstong

Post by nstong »

Sorry I was using the wrong term. When I select the "Phone" tab, its tab name changes to "Call" and since I use that tab almost exclusively that's what I'm used to seeing.

I haven't used the history tab so I'm one of the 90%. I just set it up to be displayed and played around with it a bit but it does seem to be the same as the Phone tab, excepting the one tap response as you mention.

To the meat of my question: you say 'this is possible' to my original question, however I've played with all the settings and the merge feature will still only merge calls from the same number not the same contact. Blackberry can do this and it saves time and associated danger due to distraction scrolling through and searching for the right instance of the contact.

Also, the Confirm before dialing feature is just an extra confirm of the number selected; there's no option to select a different number.

You did save me a step though, I was long clicking on a contact in the Phone tab and then selecting "View Contact". Now I know that's the short tap selection.

Thanks and keep up the good work!
camel

Post by camel »

nstong wrote:Sorry I was using the wrong term. When I select the "Phone" tab, its tab name changes to "Call" and since I use that tab almost exclusively that's what I'm used to seeing.
the history tab will be expanded in future (option to view: all/all calls/inbound calls/outbound calls/ all SMS/ inbound SMS/ outbound SMS/threaded SMS)
nstong wrote: I haven't used the history tab so I'm one of the 90%. I just set it up to be displayed and played around with it a bit but it does seem to be the same as the Phone tab, excepting the one tap response as you mention.
there are some other special things,like you can setup to show the "history" tab totally different to call log in phone tab
nstong wrote: To the meat of my question: you say 'this is possible' to my original question, however I've played with all the settings and the merge feature will still only merge calls from the same number not the same contact. Blackberry can do this and it saves time and associated danger due to distraction scrolling through and searching for the right instance of the contact.
you can also do that.
merging on call log is related on call logs.

if you want to see from a contact "ALEX WILSON", which has 10 numbers, then do: go to contact ALEX -> long click -> "View history for contact", then you would seeall calls from this numbers.
the same can be done for multiple contacts - or a whole group or titles, organization, etc...
nstong wrote: Also, the Confirm before dialing feature is just an extra confirm of the number selected; there's no option to select a different number.
confirm is only if user ware wanting to getaconfimration before dialing.
as number will be used, which is the default or what is set to use ...
if you want to get a list ofall numbers, then lcick on name, then you will see allnumbers.

if a contact have multiple phone n,via sliding on name left/right, then you can quickly change the default phone number.
nstong wrote: You did save me a step though, I was long clicking on a contact in the Phone tab and then selecting "View Contact". Now I know that's the short tap selection.
yes.
well, it can be also done on LONG CLICK -> view contact, but short click is maybe faster :)

on v2.0.8 there are also some new options, like the new function: "QUICK-CALL" -> long click on * or # in dialpad, there you can define now 1000 quick-call numbers.

cu camel