Contacts backup?

Moderators: dwp, devin

z-vet

Contacts backup?

Post by z-vet »

Hi.
Does «Backup settings» in settings saves contacts information too? And if not, how can i backup? If i understand it correctly, DW creates its own database for contacs and there really is a need to store a copy of it somewhere, «just in case».
Thanks.
camel

Re: Contacts backup?

Post by camel »

z-vet wrote:Hi.
Does «Backup settings» in settings saves contacts information too? And if not, how can i backup? If i understand it correctly, DW creates its own database for contacs and there really is a need to store a copy of it somewhere, «just in case».
Thanks.
hi,
DWC does have an own database, there we only store:
1.) settings (can be backup and restored in DWC)
2.) quick-call list (no backup at this moment -but will come in future version)
3.) call filter rules (no backup at this moment -but will come in future version)
4.) group pictures (no backup at this moment -but will come in future version)
all other are will be used and stored directly in contact database (system and account related)

for backup contacts ? ...hmm -goodquestion,i don't need it,because i only use server accounts (google and eas)
(the only what i loose if i restore my contacts is:
.) favorites (therefore i have own groups,where my contacts are binded, so it is easy to set the favorites very easy after a fresh resync)
.) ring tones (therefore i have own groups,where my contacts are binded, so it is easy to set the ringtones very easy after a fresh resync)
(because this 2 things are not stored on google or EAS account)

for backup & restore of call log and sms database ->i use "call log backup & restore" and "sms backup & restore" (freeware from market, and there is an option to donate)

backup of server side profiles -> there is nothing which wouldwork, because it would not working to holdthe contacts in sync.

so, the only thing is, ifa user do have contacts stored on local (my phone) or SIM, then you would need abackup tool, but, to store contacts to phone or sim card is a very bad idea,because if you loose your phone, then they are gone.

i also heard about guys, which are syncing the contacts with outlook (don't ask me how), but it is also then not possible to backup the contacts, or you will be running to get dublicates veryquick.

in dwc,we have an optionto dublicate contacts (best for using, if you want to copy contacts from 1account to another.
this is also working for multiple contacts and can be done in 1 single shot (it is slow, but it is working great)
this function can be found on:
1.) selectall your wanted contacts, which should be duplicated
2.) long click on any selected item ->then choose: "duplicate contact(s)", then you will be asked for destination account.
so,this means,that the contacts can be easy transfered to another account. (it is slow, but it works -> ~10minutes for 100 contacts. this is, because we are checking all relation to be sure, that all is ok oncopy processing, but i think, it will not so often used -so it should be ok, that it is slow,but is working perfect, which was the most important for us.)
also it is possible to copy contacts from skype,facebook,linkedin and other fu**ing social networks(which are read-only account types) to copy them to any other read/write contact accounts.

i hope this info helps to understand,why a contact backup make no sense ...

cu camel
z-vet

Post by z-vet »

Thanks for your reply.
I use phone only contacts, no Google sync or Facebook or whatever. So if i understand you correctly, i can just use «Phone and SMS Backup» app from the market to save my contacts as a single file and it will be OK? I mean, DWP is able to edit local contacts and if i back them up, all info will be there after restore?
camel

Post by camel »

z-vet wrote:Thanks for your reply.
I use phone only contacts, no Google sync or Facebook or whatever. So if i understand you correctly, i can just use «Phone and SMS Backup» app from the market to save my contacts as a single file and it will be OK? I mean, DWP is able to edit local contacts and if i back them up, all info will be there after restore?
if you edit contacts -> DWC do only edit the contacts in the android contacts database directly.
(few infos are not saved - described in my first answer see above)
all other is saved in android contacts database.
i told you only how you can backup your call log + sms (not contacts)
which backup app for contacts - don't know - please take a look to google market.

cu camel
z-vet

Post by z-vet »

Well, tahanks.
camel

Post by camel »

z-vet wrote:Well, tahanks.
you are welcome :=)