Incoming Google Voice Alert:Call & Text(Unknown callers)

Moderators: dwp, devin

jcrally17

Incoming Google Voice Alert:Call & Text(Unknown callers)

Post by jcrally17 »

Incoming Google Voice Alert: Call & Text(Unknown callers)
***Specifically for Incoming calls to an Android phone, that does not have any record the incoming phone #, aka Unknown Callers****

I having been searching for an application, that will alert/differentiate Google Voice's inbound Voip calls & texts from my inbound carrier(t-mobile) calls.
Just imagine if you really needed to know if someone was calling your work # or your personal #, without screening the calls or sending them to voicemail.

Google Voice seems like such a great way to stop carrying around 2 phones + save money by porting your personally # to Google and then using it from your work phone. Unfortunately it has 2 major downsides.
1) If an unknown # tries to contact you, then have no idea which of your two phone #'s were used to call & or text you.
2) You can only use the Google based web application to send or receive photo's via text.

**If your application can or currently will overcome these 2 major limitation/fatal flaws, then I think I could sell your application 100k over for $50+. Literally every cell phone salesmen of every single carrier, at every single store location would buy it.(they may not tell people, if they think it will cost them a sale, but they would all use it)

With that said, please let me know what/how long it will take to make this a reality. If it is currently impossible just say so, but please try to explain why(limitation) and what type of technology might change this in the future.
Thank you
John Michael

P.S. Its currently possible to set up the 2 separate voicemails with out any overlap & if the GV web ap can send and receive MMS message. So my hunch is that these are both possible, and that 100k+ GV users would instantly jump/pay for any application that offers these 2 vital functions.(Even it is a completely separate application, from the phone dialer and or GV)

P.P.S. I dont care if this is currently possible, via Sprint GV integration, Google's Nexus Phone(any model), and or the iPhones via separate dialer. None of these are as mainstream as what GV should/can be, nor am I giving up my Galaxy SII from T-Mobile for $70 amonth unlimited everything(5gb data) **Well maybe Verizon Nexus Prime, but would prefer to find a solution for everyone...
***In the last 6 months, I have owned each of the following phones for 30 days or more. 1st) Sprint Nexus S 2nd) T-mobile LG2X 3rd) T-mobile HTC Sensation 4th) T-mobile Galaxy SII(by far the best) ***Nexus S might have done these 2 things automatically, but I am 75% sure it did not( I do not remember it doing so either)
camel

Re: Incoming Google Voice Alert:Call & Text(Unknown callers)

Post by camel »

sorry, a'm not a native english speaker ...
to fetch you request together...

the new feature should be:

Handling on incomming call:
1.) show information + show option where user can choose manually:
b) send sms answer (+ then a select box with predefined textes -> then send SMS text)
c) answer call with a voice file (+ then a select box with pre-recorded sound files -> then answer call + play the sound file + hangup after this)
b) send email answer (+ then a select box with predefined textes -> then send email(if caller do have an email in contact database)

have i understand it correct ?

or should this work fully automatically - without any touch ?
cu camel
jcrally17

Post by jcrally17 »

Thank you for your post cu camel.
Sorry for the confusion.
I think that the Google Voice service I am speaking of, may be new to you/Only available in the USA. If I am correct, then it will be little difficult to understand the requested features, but maybe I can explain a little better.

Google Voice in the USA offers a free phone #, that rings to your cell phone & other phones if you prefer.
**So you have 2 phone #'s, that both can be used to receive incoming call/text on your Android cell phone and to call/text outbound.
Example:
T-mobile # 404-839-9303-----------------Phone Provider/cell phone carrier(Pay per month$$$)
Google Voice # 404-765-3581-------------VOIP phone # from Google(Free Android Application downloaded from Android Market)

The problem is that when my cell phone rings, I dont know which phone # was used to call me 404-839-9303 OR 404-765-3581. This makes it very difficult, for keeping business/job/work separate from my personal/fun life.

Also, a separate, but major issue/limitation of the Google Voice application, is I can not text message a picture using my Google Voice Phone #404-765-3581. This can be done thru Google Voice on https://www.google.com/voice/ from my CPU ***But on my cell phone, I can not do it with my Google Voice application https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... XZvaWNlIl0.

Hopefully this helps explain a little more.
Thank you for your help/research,
John Michael
camel

Post by camel »

sorry, you're right, i europe we do not have this sevice.
and i can not follow you. for me it is looking like your phone do having 2 different SIM cards ?
and now DWC should recognize from which provider the incomming call should be recognize ?
if you want to recognize - does the incomming call then goes via GSM or via VOIP ?
if an incomming call from VOIP, then is it using the same dailer API from android, or is there a different ?
i haven't heard, that android does support VOIP from the same dial handler. for me it should be there an extra app for this incoming calls - isn't it ?

well, as told, without trying that here on my phone itself, it would be not easy to implement.

Normally, your system must be configured 2 phone # - isn't it ? or do they route it to the same number ?
well, if they are rounting the call to the same t-mobile number, then it is always looking like you have the only 1 and then the system can'T recognize this.

cu camel

summary: your request is:to recognize which number was dialed on incomming call ?
camel

Post by camel »

jcrally17 wrote:Thank you for your post cu camel.
Sorry for the confusion.
I think that the Google Voice service I am speaking of, may be new to you/Only available in the USA. If I am correct, then it will be little difficult to understand the requested features, but maybe I can explain a little better.

Google Voice in the USA offers a free phone #, that rings to your cell phone & other phones if you prefer.
**So you have 2 phone #'s, that both can be used to receive incoming call/text on your Android cell phone and to call/text outbound.
Example:
T-mobile # 404-839-9303-----------------Phone Provider/cell phone carrier(Pay per month$$$)
Google Voice # 404-765-3581-------------VOIP phone # from Google(Free Android Application downloaded from Android Market)

The problem is that when my cell phone rings, I dont know which phone # was used to call me 404-839-9303 OR 404-765-3581. This makes it very difficult, for keeping business/job/work separate from my personal/fun life.
on a inbound call -> who is it looking ?
does your stock dialer get the call ?
do you know, which number inbound user has used ?
(because normally only the number of caller will be send to inbound call.
does google voice also works, if you don't install any special app from market for it ?

if you want, it would be interesting how an incomming call is working.
therefore it would be helpful to get a debug log form an inbound call. you can do it with app: "alogcat" (google market)
if wanted,you can contact me directly via PM or you can send me your skype account. maybe i can call you to findout, how we can handle google voice ..

cu dwc support
camel

Post by camel »

we added now dial "prefix and "suffix", mabye this is helpful for google voice ?
cu camel
PatrickB

Post by PatrickB »

Camel,

jcrally's request #1 is the same as a little older request down the list:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2344

Basically: if someone calls 555-123-4567 (Google Voice phone number) and that call is forwarded to my cellphone at 555-888-7890, then is there a way to tell me that the incoming call is coming from a forwarded number?

As far as his request #2, I believe that is a limitation of the Google Voice system.

jcrally,

If you have an Android, you can install Google Voice to send text messages and listen to Google Voice voicemail. However, it has no function to send pictures.

On the other hand, you can set the ringtone for Google Voice calls.
http://www.appbrain.com/app/google-voic ... ooglevoice

Also, there are some apps on the market that you may find helpful.
http://www.appbrain.com/search?q=Toggle ... le%20Voice

-------
To describe Google Voice:
Google Voice is a phone number that is given to people by Google. You can register for it for free online. Then, you can configure it online to send callers to any other phone number you wish. You can also send them to several other phone numbers and whoever answers first gets the call.
Here is a list of features and video: http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html
camel

Post by camel »

PatrickB wrote:
Basically: if someone calls 555-123-4567 (Google Voice phone number) and that call is forwarded to my cellphone at 555-888-7890, then is there a way to tell me that the incoming call is coming from a forwarded number?
your telecom provider do only send the "senders"(calling party) phone number (if not set to block it)
so, if it will be forwared by any other imsi(phone number), then there is no info on phone.
cu camel