T9 searching also by nickname

Moderators: dwp, devin

yossio

T9 searching also by nickname

Post by yossio »

Hi,
Just purchased the software. Very nice. However the main feature I was after, robust search, is working only in the Search feature not in the T9 search. Specifically I would like the T9 search to search also in the nickname of the contact.
(In fact it should have an option to select popular fields for T9 search. e.g. nickname, note, company)
Would that be in your list soon?

Thanks a lot
Yossi
camel

Re: T9 searching also by nickname

Post by camel »

yossio wrote:Hi,
Just purchased the software. Very nice. However the main feature I was after, robust search, is working only in the Search feature not in the T9 search. Specifically I would like the T9 search to search also in the nickname of the contact.
(In fact it should have an option to select popular fields for T9 search. e.g. nickname, note, company)
Would that be in your list soon?

Thanks a lot
Yossi
hi, no there is no planning for it, because it makes the system very slow, and almost no contact database is supporting nickname.
best is add your nickname to a normal name field.
of course, we added now "organization" to t9-search in real conbination...

like: Herbert Spiral Microdoof
Herbert -> first name
Spiral -> last name
Microdoof -> company

and rthen user can search for: HERMIC => HERbert Spiral MICrodoof

and in t9-searfh all can be disabled excluding the ignore missed words, search from start
yossio

Post by yossio »

I think that if the user will be able to choose which fields to search the performance issue can be managed.
exDialer is the application I used up until now and it has nice performance with that feature.

I'll manage.
Thanks.
camel

Post by camel »

yossio wrote:I think that if the user will be able to choose which fields to search the performance issue can be managed.
exDialer is the application I used up until now and it has nice performance with that feature.

I'll manage.
Thanks.
it's growing ...
it is not funny any more ...
next want to ssearch for title, nickname, phonetic name fields, suffix, notes, prefix, etc ...
and every fields make it much more slower ...
you also have to think on user, which are having more as 5000 contacts ...
sad about ...and i must think ..

T9-SEARCH normally is made to find first + lastname
T9 is 1 digit which mean in some languages 8 chars - so you can think about how much are the combinations about only 1 key press (and i have to told you, taht you can setup multiple langiuages on phone, and russia and germany are very big differents
and tab search is for finding in any fields.

next the user are angry, because too much options, and noone knows, what to setup...

this is ggoing to be a mess. not sure if interested to add ...

please use tab "search" for it.
camel

Post by camel »

camel wrote:
yossio wrote:I think that if the user will be able to choose which fields to search the performance issue can be managed.

I'll manage.
Thanks.
it's growing ...
it is not funny any more ...
next want to ssearch for title, nickname, phonetic name fields, suffix, notes, prefix, etc ...
and every fields make it much more slower ...
you also have to think on user, which are having more as 5000 contacts ...
sad about ...and i must think ..

T9-SEARCH normally is made to find first + lastname
T9 is 1 digit which mean in some languages 8 chars - so you can think about how much are the combinations about only 1 key press (and i have to told you, taht you can setup multiple langiuages on phone, and russia and germany are very big differents
and tab search is for finding in any fields.

next the user are angry, because too much options, and noone knows, what to setup...

this is ggoing to be a mess. not sure if interested to add ...

please use tab "search" for it.
you can not compare exdialer with dwc.

think about ...
if you press: (only 1 normal english language, and search in digits disabled !!!)
2 = ABC
if you press 22 -> how much comnbinations do the search have to execute ?
AA
AB
AC
BA
BB
BC
CA
CB
CC
=3 ^2 = 9 queries

if you press 222 -> how much comnbinations do the search have to execute ?
=3 ^3 = 27 queries
if you press 2224 -> how much comnbinations do the search have to execute ?
=3 ^4 = .... queries

and i'm sure, i don't have to tell you what happen if you setup to use also search in numbers, and also maybe a 2nd language ...
then you try to input: 22 = 2^8 = 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 = ... a lot of queries ...
and now it must look in every field ...
then you know it is only possible with a i7 core :)

the t9-search is maybe complete used - nad maybe i have to think about back to the roots ... or adding so much settings, that the user want use it anymore.
and on every new settings, there are so many request what they should setup, that it makes not much sense ...