Please consider lower price point

Moderators: dwp, devin

lightstream

Please consider lower price point

Post by lightstream »

Hi,

I downloaded the free version and it is the best dialer I have used. It is way better than stock and other dialer apps. Then I found out that the paid version is $9.88. I do understand the value, time, and effort of a programmer's work but the price of $9.88 is counterproductive to maximizing your revenue. Below, I shared 4 articles and then explain how reducing the price will increase your revenue.

According to Android Market Insights (it is in the download), August 2011 average selling price in the Android store averaged $3.13. Your price is over 3 times more than average.

According to research done by Nielson, the report shows for the six categories, 76-93% of the app user would be willing to purchase the app. This app most likely falls in the productivity category.

Here is another article that shows the average prices of the top 100 apps for both the iPhone and Android split into different categories. The $9.88 is significantly above average.

Lastly, here is an article that talks about four different variables to look at when pricing an app.

The following are calculations where I make certain assumptions since only you know the actual numbers. According to Android Marketplace, the free version received 100,000+ downloads. Your paid version received 5,000+ downloads. This means 5% of your users opted to pay at $9.88 which generated $49,400 in revenue.

According to the Nielson article, 76%-93% of app users are willing to purchase the app. That is a significant difference in who are willing to pay for your app which is at 5%. Since those percentages are based on averages (people taking surveys), let's make the following estimate using those averages. If you price your app to the average app price of $3.13 and let's say 73% (the lower end of the 6 categories) of your users are willing to pay, that means you will have 73,000 paid users generating you $228,490 in revenue. That is a 4.6 times more than what you have currently generated.

So, currently at $9.88, it is priced too high and it is counterproductive in maximizing your revenue. You will make more money with a more competitive (and lower) price point.

Thanks and I hope you will consider reducing your price so that I can also become a paid user and use all the features of your dialer.
camel

Re: Please consider lower price point

Post by camel »

thanks for your feedback and your marketing stragegy thinkings ..

only my mind: if an application is not a real business application, then better to make a "cheap product".
like a FF weapong -> fire & forget

but,if you develope an app, which is for business and is on beginning ...

will business users are ready to pay $9 for a product, where they save per week only 1 hours ?

well,this question - i would like to get a discussion about with all other users ....

1) do you want that development will ongoing ?
a.) should we add more features ? or should we only do bug-fixing + support for future android systems (like 4.0) and stopping to addnew features ?

2) do user are need support for this product ?

my mind: if you don't want not to investigate $9 for an app, which make your like easier ... this would mean, that app is not worth the price.
maybe you should thik about, which application do you using most on your phone ?
i think it is: phone, contacts, sms, email (for business users), and exact for this guys this app was made ...

but i don'T say, that i'm not ready to discuss about ...

@all users: please involved in this discussion...
lightstream

Post by lightstream »

Thank you for considering. Camel, I can't seem to message you privately. Please feel free to message me so we can discuss offline since a lot of this is business and marketing strategies. I am okay with open communication here too.

Making the price point lower does not mean it has to be fire and forget nor does it make your product "cheap". I do not understand why you say that.

Would you rather want 10 people buying your app at $9 which equals $90 in income or 100 people buying your app at $3 which equals $300 in income? What would your app be worth? Is it worth $9 because that is your price or worth $90 because that is your income? Value of a software app is not based on the price. It is based on income.

There are many "cheap" apps out there that are very good. Angry Birds costs $0.99 in the Apple Store and free in the Android Market. Angry Bird has sold over 12 million copies in the Apple Store making the value (12 million X $0.99) of the game $11.8 million not including ads in their free version, toys, movie that will be coming out, etc. They do not have a fire and forget business model even though it is priced at $0.99.

As a customer/user, if there is a good new feature, yes I would love to see it. As a customer/user, if you can fix more bugs and make it faster and more stable, I would love to see that too. As a customer/user yes I would like to see support.

Your dialer is very good. If it wasn't, I would not have taken time to find your website, create an account, and write up a long post just to message you. Also, I think the reviews of your free version speaks for itself. Rating of 4.4 with 100,000+ downloads. That is amazing.

I think the most important question is what are your goals for this app? Create a helpful tool to help people? Make money? Get more people to download and use your app? You just enjoy working on this regardless of money?
camel

Post by camel »

thanks, i honor your feedback, and is really wanted to get such kind of postings ...
well, for now the politicis, not making a toy - like comic design ...
this dialer and contact app should be:
1.) fully customizable to users whishes (here is the biggest challenge, because as more otions - user friendly wil be going lost ..)
2.) very fast and easy to use
3.) support for users (email, forum, etc..)
4.) support for all android systems
5.) quickly searching and dialing of last dialed number or contacts
6.) management for contacts (copy to another contact, easy managing of groups, etc..)
7.) Events reminder & management
8.) mass sms/mms/email sending

and we are having very long lists of new functions what we want add.
so, it is ok, not to sale too much versions, before app is reaching the real sales goal.

if the most important functions are all inplace, maybe there will be different versions.
like:
.) LITE (functions limited)
.) ADWARE (unlimited, but with ads)
.) PRO (unlimited, registered to google acocunt)
.) REG (unlimited, registered to device serial number)

we investigated ~8.000 hours by now, and as you know the last 20% of development use mostly as much as the first 80%....
and support effort will be growing, too.
and the most of bugs, we must handle, because based android stock API's. On the other side, almost every manufacturer not really use the standard API for a lot of functions, so it is a mess to support all systems. anyhow ...
and often it happen, that it seems to be s small bug, but need for bugfixing 100hours, where only 0,05% of user knowing about this bug.

but as told, the application is on begining :)
i will write later a little bit more about ...

thanks for your hints and feedback.
msparks

Post by msparks »

I'm a small business person coming from a Blackberry. I had no problem spending the $9 for the best product, what came with the droid phone was useless as far as business concerns. What I have now is totally customizable and works great.

I think if you show the value and time savings especially for business, then the $9 cost is no big deal.

Get the free version, then if you need more upgrade to something that work. Alas I believe some of these features should come with a phone but since it doesn't I appreciate the developer and all his hard work.
camel

Post by camel »

msparks wrote:I'm a small business person coming from a Blackberry. I had no problem spending the $9 for the best product, what came with the droid phone was useless as far as business concerns. What I have now is totally customizable and works great.

I think if you show the value and time savings especially for business, then the $9 cost is no big deal.

Get the free version, then if you need more upgrade to something that work. Alas I believe some of these features should come with a phone but since it doesn't I appreciate the developer and all his hard work.
thanks for your feedback.
i also think so.
a PORSCHE would be also sold more often, if it would be cheaper ....
but, the real question is, do we want to sell more ? how should we handle then the support requests ?
i'm not interested on some kids, which are not interested to register. for that guys - the FREE version is there.
or -> for them are a lot of other dailers&contact apps on the market.
DWC (REG or PRO) should be and stay a business app.

cu camel
Daverk

Post by Daverk »

Quite convoluted but still a high price €6.80 :D
Take care!
camel

Post by camel »

Daverk wrote:Quite convoluted but still a high price €6.80 :D
the price is low, if you take a look, what it can do for you ...
and as often explained, we are not interested to sell it millions time, because the users which are pay for it - do like to get a support, and not having a cheap app, where noone can give a support.
at the end ... i never heard about, that anyone told us, that the price is not ok in rlation to what he get for the price !

cu camel
Daverk

Post by Daverk »

Okey,dokey! Muchos gracios :D
Take care!
camel

Post by camel »

Daverk wrote:Okey,dokey! Muchos gracios :D
you are welcome
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Hi there,

I would also like to support Camel and DWP in setting the price of their app.

As I've said before, I think this is by far the best Contact manager for Android available. I think it's already great, and only set to get better. I need it for Business, because the stock contact manager on my cheapo (Employer supplied) Motorola Defy is next to worthless, and DWC is the BEST!.

Here in my country, it costs about the same as 3 cups of coffee (at Starbucks and the like), so it's really not expensive.

I use mine for work, and I didn't even ask my Employer to pay for it. I would have bought it even if they had refused.

And the question I would have to ask is this: if you can afford to buy an Android phone, and pay the Carrier charges, why can't you afford to buy DWC??? It's an insignificant cost, compared to the other two!

Cheers,
A
Currently (i.e Now, not necessarily the date of this post)
using DW Contacts & Dialer version 2.5.3.0-pro
On Motorola Defy with Android 2.2.2 (Work Phone)
camel

Post by camel »

AlCan wrote:Hi there,

I would also like to support Camel and DWP in setting the price of their app.

As I've said before, I think this is by far the best Contact manager for Android available. I think it's already great, and only set to get better. I need it for Business, because the stock contact manager on my cheapo (Employer supplied) Motorola Defy is next to worthless, and DWC is the BEST!.

Here in my country, it costs about the same as 3 cups of coffee (at Starbucks and the like), so it's really not expensive.

I use mine for work, and I didn't even ask my Employer to pay for it. I would have bought it even if they had refused.

And the question I would have to ask is this: if you can afford to buy an Android phone, and pay the Carrier charges, why can't you afford to buy DWC??? It's an insignificant cost, compared to the other two!

Cheers,
A
yes, my mind is the same ...
but normally, the real question should be:
why is android not having such kind of functionality as stock. this is the shame, and this is why nokia, iPhone and BB are sold often in past...
and i understand, that the user are angry about, that android is for business almost useles, and it needs to install such kind of app like: "DWC, Contact Editor Pro, K9-Mail, Calengoo.
it would not be possible to use my android phone for business - without these applications.
cu camel
OrangeBikesRule

Post by OrangeBikesRule »

Hello,

I think a lower Price of e.g. 4$ would probably increase you income greatly, but as it is with speculations like these: To know the answer your would have to try. So my suggestion would be to try out a price of 3$ to 4$ for a year (or a couple of month) and see what happens.

I bought the "pro" anyways ande i don't regret it for one moment.

Keep up the good work!!